easystand evolv standing for first time in 18 years

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• easystand evolv standing for first time in 18 years

Im a t-6 para in need of a bit of advise I have an easystand evolve standing frame on the way. The last time I was standing was in rehab 18 years ago. I know I just can't jump on the machine and jack myself up and stand. How should I ease my body back into a standing position without damage or fainting? Any feedback is welcome. Thanks

You should first check with your physician, and perhaps have some Xrays or a DEXA scan to assure that your osteoporosis is not so severe that it may be dangerous to stand at this point.

You may also have issues with orthostatic hypotension, so should stand with assistance to be sure you don't pass out. If you do have problems with your blood pressure, you may need to start with some tilt-table therapy first, and then progress to standing, and it may be also necessary to use compression hose and/or Ace wraps on your legs, and and abdominal binder until your body is more used to the upright position again.

(KLD)
    The SCI-Nurses are advanced practice nurses specializing in SCI/D care. They are available to answer questions, provide education, and make suggestions which you should always discuss with your physician/primary health care provider before implementing. Medical diagnosis is not provided, nor do the SCI-Nurses provide nursing or medical care through their responses on the CareCure forums.

Comment

Thankyou SCI nurse. I sure appreciate the advise. I will go get some x rays on my legs first. Would it be possible to reverse the bone damage if its bad by slowly putting weight overtime back on my legs?
      Last edited by urbanpoison; 11-28-2011, 04:36 PM. Reason: typo

Comment

No, unfortunately there is no evidence that passive standing either prevents or corrects existing osteoporosis in people with SCI. FES combined with one of the osteoporosis drugs holds some promise.

(KLD)
        The SCI-Nurses are advanced practice nurses specializing in SCI/D care. They are available to answer questions, provide education, and make suggestions which you should always discuss with your physician/primary health care provider before implementing. Medical diagnosis is not provided, nor do the SCI-Nurses provide nursing or medical care through their responses on the CareCure forums.

Comment

@urbanpoison I work with EasyStand and wanted to share a few things with you. Here is a story/video that you might want to see http://www.easystand.com/standing-ro...m?genericID=57 Shawn also has osteoporosis and stands in the Evolv. Just as SCI-Nurse said make sure that you consult with your medical team before standing. Also here are some research studies on standing & preventing calciuria/maintaining or re-gaining bone density http://www.easystand.com/health-bene...m?categoryID=2
          Hope this helps, Bryanne

Comment

After my fourth kidney stone back in 1984, I acquired a tilt table and have used one every other evening for about two hours and about 60 plus degrees. I have not had a kidney stone since then and have built up my bone density in my long bones by some 20% as measured by bone density. Tilting plus calcium and vitamin D supplementation did the job.

After my last kidney stone (1984) I went to a rehab nearby to practice tilting. I had not tilted in the seven years since my injury so I wanted to be careful. I had my long bones checked via x-ray and got clearance from my MD. As above, I have been tilting every other day since that time.

I recommend a similar path for all SCI if you have the dedication.

Future Walker
            Futurewalker

Comment

Working...
            X