No announcement yet.

New ventilators -- thoughts?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I got a reply from Respironics (Philips Healthcare) Senior Global Product Manager regarding my review of the Trilogy100.

GOOD NEWS... the Trilogy100 alarm silence button is NOT DANGEROUS -- the alarm will automatically reset itself after one minute. I should've known that they wouldn't put a vent on the market with an alarm that wouldn't reset automatically, but it didn't come with a user guide, so all I could go on was our test, which was less than a minute. We tested this and it does indeed reset automatically after a minute.

Regarding the lighted display and going to movies, he said the vent has a "screen saver" option that might suffice. It also allows the brightness to be adjusted, but our initial "playing" with those options did not seem to change much. Maybe we'll try it on my bedside vent when I'm in my chair so that I can understand the options better and potentially help my caregiver(s).

- Bill :-)
    Wheelchair users -- even high-level quads... WANNA BOWL?

I'm a C1-2 with a legit 255 high bowling game.

Comment

Originally posted by SCI_OTR View Post
      If, by chance, the people at Permobil happen to "discover" this thread, does anyone have any thoughts about features they might want to see in a Trilogy 100 vent tray for Corpus 3G seating?
      SCI_OTR,

What I would like is for the vent to attach securely -- and as closely as possible -- to the backrest. I'd like the smallest total footprint possible. Whether the attachment method is backpack-style or not, I would prefer it be attached close enough to the back that it would look like a "backpack" from afar. It does not need to "swing out" when the chair is tilted; it could simply mount to the back of the chair.

I would certainly want the oxygen holder to be optional as I am on room air and would not want an extra attachment that I don't need. Our chairs can get big, complicated, and "scary looking" (to people who are unfamiliar with them) and the simpler the total look and design, the better, in my opinion. We look more approachable with less stuff on our chairs.

I'm not sure if that helps you at all, but those would be my preferences.

Comment

Originally posted by BillMiller823 View Post
        I should've known that they wouldn't put a vent on the market with an alarm that wouldn't reset automatically, but it didn't come with a user guide, so all I could go on was our test, which was less than a minute. We tested this and it does indeed reset automatically after a minute.

Regarding the lighted display and going to movies, he said the vent has a "screen saver" option that might suffice. It also allows the brightness to be adjusted, but our initial "playing" with those options did not seem to change much. Maybe we'll try it on my bedside vent when I'm in my chair so that I can understand the options better and potentially help my caregiver(s).

Given that you weren't provided with a user's manual and the fact they have no downloadable users manual online (you have to fill out a "Contact Us" form and request the caregiver DVD), don't second guess yourself for second guessing them.

It seems to me that in the home vent industry the manufacturers have a fairly narrow focus when they consider usability in the design of their products. Much more consideration could be given to the broader context of how their products will be used in the real world.

Designers design new products around the features they think will appeal to their target market. This appears to be primarily facilities, health care providers, emergency responders/transporters, and home respiratory equipment providers. The home respiratory therapist is probably the primary source for issues concerning the actual end user.

If this were not the case, I would think that an easily accessed downloadable .pdf of the user manual on the website would be a no brainer. It's also been my experience that there is very little communication between mobility equipment manufacturers and the vent manufacturers.

Comment

Originally posted by BillMiller823 View Post
          SCI_OTR,

What I would like is for the vent to attach securely -- and as closely as possible -- to the backrest. I'd like the smallest total footprint possible. Whether the attachment method is backpack-style or not, I would prefer it be attached close enough to the back that it would look like a "backpack" from afar. It does not need to "swing out" when the chair is tilted; it could simply mount to the back of the chair.

I would certainly want the oxygen holder to be optional as I am on room air and would not want an extra attachment that I don't need. Our chairs can get big, complicated, and "scary looking" (to people who are unfamiliar with them) and the simpler the total look and design, the better, in my opinion. We look more approachable with less stuff on our chairs.

I'm not sure if that helps you at all, but those would be my preferences.

These are pics of the "theoretical minimum" for mounting an LTV series.

I did this chair approximately 4 years ago and have never replicated it for a number of reasons. Interfacing vents and powerchairs to be highly usable and safe is a much more challenging process than people realize. I will expound on these and discuss them in context of the Trilogy 100 and Corpus 3G seating a bit later.

Comment

SCI_OTR,

Are you familiar with the Permobil C500 VS? Could you tell me which of these two attachment methods you think would be best for it:

http://www.freedomvent.com/respronics.html

http://www.richardsonproducts.com/TrilogyVC.pdf

My chair could be re-delivered in the next couple weeks and I don't have a vent attachment method yet. My respiratory company ordered "all the accessories" for the Trilogy, and I made the mistake of thinking that a wheelchair attachment method would be included. I might have to go with the option that insurance will approve the fastest, potentially, but I'm certainly interested in which of the above you think would be best.

Thanks.

Comment

The C500 VS is still based on the previous Corpus II seating system which uses the older Ergo back shell. I'm almost positive that the Freedom FVC-4001 Vent Tray would be the easiest to mount.

While it looks sturdier, the Richardson model appears to have been designed for traditional back posts. It also looks much heavier. I imagine a fair amount of customization would be necessary in order for it to be properly installed.

My eventual solution may be a combination of Permobil's vent tray mounting bracket hardware and the FVC-4001 Compact Vent Tray. I'm glad you posted that link because I totally forgot about Freedom Vents after I thought I had solved my vent/powerchair interface issues (we normally use LTV Series). It didn't occur to me to go back to their web site and see what they might offer for the Trilogy 100.

I mentioned in and earlier post that you shouldn't second guess yourself for second guessing the manufacturers. Case in point is this picture of Motion Concept's compact vet tray/O2 holder for the LTV Series. Can anyone identify what's wrong with this design. If it isn't immediately apparent, look at C300 I posted earlier in this thread equipped with the LTV Vent and E cylinder.

Last edited by SCI_OTR; 21 Oct 2012, 12:01 PM.

Comment

Thank you SCI_OTR. We'll most likely order the Freedom model ASAP (I imagine it's less expensive than the Richardson model also, which retails for $1,650!).

Regarding your question on the above picture, the oxygen holder is blocking where the vent circuit needs to attach. I guess it's not a problem for people who don't need oxygen, but that's a pretty big oversight to make by their design people.

Regarding the Trilogy, the product manager I mentioned earlier asked if I wanted to help evaluate new features. Of course I agreed... and couldn't help but half-jokingly suggest that they work on an "LP-10 mode" -- I thought that machine was simple but fantastic.

Thank you again for the vent carrier assessment / recommendation.

Comment

Hi SCI_OTR,

You mentioned actively working with Permobil on a carrier for a Trilogy100. Would that work with a C500? I'd be happy to be a guinea pig. Otherwise we'll likely proceed with the Freedom vent carrier.

Just checking, thanks.

Comment

For people following this thread, might you have any idea why my voice suddenly got soft?

Details on this thread:

/forum/showthread.php?t=211954

Thanks.

Comment

I use a ResMed Elisee 150, a small machine, with many functions, but not very quiet... My vent can use the wheelchair batteries (by using a plug from my wheelchair to the vent). I usually use the vent battery first, because if I don't I have an empty wheelchair battery at 5 p.m. The vent battery last 8 hours. Here most people on vents have a Permobil C500. I have a Balder wheelchair, but haven't good results with the vent (I'm only on a vent since September '12, already had my wheelchair).

BTW, I don't have a SCI, I have MD (mouthpiece ventilation)

Comment

Interesting, Saskia, thanks for sharing.

I like your backpack-style carrier and thought Respironics would have something like that for their Trilogy. I was wrong, well, actually they do have a case, but it isn't designed to be attached to a wheelchair, and I don't think it has a spot for the circuit to attach (no hole in the case). I think I mentioned that above, so I'll quit rambling...

Comment

SCI_OTR,

I know this thread is a bit old, but did you successfully collaborate with Permobil to design a solution for Trilogy 100 ventilators?

The Permobil C500 standup chair that I originally tried to get, it wound up not working for me (because it would not tilt enough to allow me to do sufficient weightshifts/pressure reliefs independently) but I recently got a C300 delivered with a vent shelf. The vent shelf is not ideal for my circumstances, and we are looking into other options.

Thanks,
                          Bill :-)

Comment

Bill sci_otr has not been on here in quite awhile since he found out all his old posts were lost after the supposed upgrade.
                            T6 Incomplete due to a Spinal cord infarction July 2009

Comment

Originally posted by Smashms View Post
                              Bill sci_otr has not been on here in quite awhile since he found out all his old posts were lost after the supposed upgrade.
                              Thank you Smashms. I may have discovered a good alternative.

I did a Google search and found an ALS forum similar to CareCure, which had some users talking about strapping their Trilogy 100 ventilators to their wheelchairs, without using a vent tray or shelf. I didn't know how that was possible, because I didn't know that an "in use carry bag" existed.

But I discovered that Philips Respironics does indeed make one as an accessory. I'm currently trying to figure out the best way to acquire one.

Comment

Great news bill. Good luck!
                                T6 Incomplete due to a Spinal cord infarction July 2009

Comment

Working...
                                X