MTS Omegatrac

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• MTS Omegatrac

We know that Next Mobility was taken over by Miller Technicial Services, a company with no wheelchair experience.

I have been calling and e-mailing them for the past year in an attempt to make contact with one of their manufacturers reps.
    Well it seems that they only have one for the entire country and she handles everything, including all the expos and such. She dosen't even bring any of the wheelchairs and depends on local DME's to supply what she needs. Don't think such a good idea.

Finally after MTS not answering or ignoring repeaded messages from me and the VA seating clinition, there is a kind of breakthrough. Chris, the woman who answers the phone actually has order forms available and even a special one for the VA.

So it appeaars that all folks need to do is fill the forms out, submit them, pay a small fortune and the chair will be theirs after the appropriate wait time.

There are two significant changes to the Omegatrac, the electronics have been down graded from LiberT to P&G which sucks big time. As a quad, any controller with raised buttons creats a possible catstrophe. It is impossible to steer a powerchair with dead fingers without hitting the buttons and just one contact with the on/off button at full speed can kill someone. The Premier controller on my chair has a smooth face and has never failed in 6 years. Also the Actiback which was standard, now is an upgrade and cost around 350 bucks.

The Omegatrac is not for everyone. It is heavy but that makes for a low center of gravity which is critical for off pavement use and I thank TEFTEC everytime I need to run off the road at speed, to avoid a log truck. There are significant drop offs from the pavement onto the disapearing road edges. It has the best suspension of any powerchair with 4 inches of lift, controlable front and rear with an onboard air compressor.

Only time will tell if what other changes MTS made to the wheelchair will hold up or not and if their service is worth a dam.
    Last edited by forestranger52; 10-04-2011, 07:39 PM.
    C 5/6 Comp.
    No Tri's or hand function.

Far better it is to try mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure. Than to take rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy much or suffer much, because they live in the grey twilight that knows neither victory or defeat.

Teddy Roosevelt

one more time,

thanks
    C 5/6 Comp.

Far better it is to try mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure. Than to take rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy much or suffer much, because they live in the grey twilight that knows neither victory or defeat.

Teddy Roosevelt

Comment

What are you asking?

MTS took over the production of Marvel as well. I may have some email addresses buried in my inbox somewhere. I'll check later if you want (replying from my phone at the moment).

Comment

Thanks a lot scott. Holy cow, took over the Marvel also. Quite a challenge for a newbee chair company.

I was just sending it over so the last folks could see it.
        C 5/6 Comp.

Teddy Roosevelt

Comment

Omegatrac findings

Hello All, I currently have 3 Omegatracs... all bought used online. 2 of them work well with Air, tilt, leg lift... I love the chairs and nothing compares to them. I am 5 year post injury and finally feel I found the chair but hate that I cant find any contact with company that owns or operates these chairs. I just plan to maintain mine for the rest of my life??? Please include me in your posts and accured info you find.

I am in (Point Richmond, California, USA) where are you?

cheers,
          dan

Comment

Miller Technicial Services maufacturers the Omegatrac.

Just google Omegatrac.
            C 5/6 Comp.

Teddy Roosevelt

Comment

Omegatrac For Sale

I have a Omegatrac for Sale, I don't know what I want for it I just thought I would take offers. It's about 8 years old with very low usage it needs batteries and inter-tubes. There is a scooter type seat on it but other than all this it runs very well. I just hardy used the chair if your interested send me some info.

HR

Comment

HR, you need to list this in the equipment for sale forum. Better chance for sale.
                C 5/6 Comp.

Teddy Roosevelt

Comment

Originally posted by HR View Post
                  I have a Omegatrac for Sale, I don't know what I want for it I just thought I would take offers. It's about 8 years old with very low usage it needs batteries and inter-tubes. There is a scooter type seat on it but other than all this it runs very well. I just hardy used the chair if your interested send me some info.

HR
                  I am interested, but cannot figure out how to send you a private message. Can you send me a PM with contact information.
                  T4 complete, 150 ft fall, 1966. Completely fused hips, partially fused knees and spine, heterotopic ossification. Unsuccessful DREZ surgery about 1990. Successful bladder augmentation using small intestine about 1992. Normal SCI IC UTI problems culminating in a hospital stay in 2001. No antibiotics or doctor visits for UTI since 2001: d-mannose. Your mileage may vary.

Comment

I HAVE A CURE FOR OMEGA TRACK CHAIRS. I NOW BUILD MY OWN OFF ROAD CHAIR.
                    www.wheelchairconversions.com
                    I HAVE HAD 5 OMEGAS AND ONE AFTER ANOTHER THEY DIED. VERY SAD. I MISS THEM BUT SO MUCH MONEY TO REPAIR AND THEY KEEP CHANGING ELECTRONICS.

Comment

Yes, the change in electronics sucks and expensive to buy and repair. I have never had a problem with the Liber T.

Definately not looking forward to using the P and G.

My chair is 6 years old and other than very minor things, it has been fantastic.
                      C 5/6 Comp.

Teddy Roosevelt

Comment

omegatrac questions

I have a 10-year-old Omegatrac with 2000 hours. It looks like the original P&G controller has finally given up. Except for putting new joysticks in every three years, the chair has been trouble-free. I just replaced the gears and belts for both the drive and steering motors. I am loath to just discard it.

So my question is: Is it reasonable to assume that the transmission is relatively bombproof? It seems to be the core of the chair's design and value and I haven't heard too many complaints about it except for some leaky seals. Also, does anyone know of a DME that has enough experience with these chairs to reliably work on them? The guy I bought my chair from had never seen one before or after mine. Fortunately, a friend of mine has been more than capable enough to replace the joysticks and gears. However, if I replace the controller and the motor controllers I'm afraid that programming the controller will be beyond our abilities.

Does anyone know the model number of the current P&G controller that is being put on the new chairs?

Thanks!

Comment

Hi Wesley, I am in need of help with my Omegatrac too. I can't believe you are able to replace your P&G controller. Where do you get them? I currently have 3 Omegatrac WC all used, 2 working, but need maintenance. Maybe the one that is dead can help you? Is there particular parts that could use?

Cheers,
                          dan

Comment

Originally posted by dansun View Post
                            Hi Wesley, I am in need of help with my Omegatrac too. I can't believe you are able to replace your P&G controller. Where do you get them? I currently have 3 Omegatrac WC all used, 2 working, but need maintenance. Maybe the one that is dead can help you? Is there particular parts that could use?

Cheers,
                            dan
                            I have replaced only the joystick, not the entire controller. In my experience, the joystick lasts for three or so years and then begins to develop dead spots. Replacement is pretty easy for someone with basic soldering skills. I got my first two joysticks from Teftec and purchased the last one from PG directly.

I'm still in the process of figuring out exactly what is wrong with my chair. I think it is the controller, but could be the motor contactor switch or the steering motor. If it's one of the last two, I'm sure we can repair it ourselves. Not so with the PG controller unit because that needs programing. I'm just intrigued that they've switched back to PG. I'm hoping that a new controller could simply be plugged into the existing harness.

Thank you for your generous offer of parts. You have quite a commitment to Omegatrac! I hope you can keep your chairs going. It would be great if there was forum online where Omega track owners could swap maintenance information. I would really love to find someone at a DME that could pass on technical bulletins and service manuals!

Take care

Comment

You might take a look at wheelchairdriver. com Burgerman and JoeC both have extensive experience with P&G controllers and may provide some pointers. You might also contact P&G's North American operation in Los Angeles. pgdt.com. They offer repair service at a fraction of the price of a new controller.
                              T4 complete, 150 ft fall, 1966. Completely fused hips, partially fused knees and spine, heterotopic ossification. Unsuccessful DREZ surgery about 1990. Successful bladder augmentation using small intestine about 1992. Normal SCI IC UTI problems culminating in a hospital stay in 2001. No antibiotics or doctor visits for UTI since 2001: d-mannose. Your mileage may vary.

Comment

Working...
                              X