No announcement yet.

Suspension chairs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Well, it t sounds like the spring wasn't stiff enough on the GTM.

If you look closely, the Kuschall's separate (not welded together) "pivot arms" attach widely at the front, on the downtubes. But they come closer together and attach next to the shock at the rear.

Presumably (hard to tell from the photos), the attachments are rubber bushings or spherical bearings. The design allows the axle to tilt (articulate) when going over uneven terrain.

Unfortunately, that also allows the chair to tilt a little sideways if you lean. This is controlled by sway bars on automobiles. It's something you can get used to, as it will only go so far, but it is disconcerting, at first!

As I've said many times, everything's a trade-off (no such thing as a free lunch, you can't have your cake and eat it, too, etc......)

Comment

(Quote)(a la carte)As I've said many times, everything's a trade-off (no such thing as a free lunch, you can't have your cake and eat it, too, etc......)

I would have to agree with this statement. I added weight to my Q7 because I needed d's locks. so it was a trade off for me to go into a lighter chair. i ended up adding weight to that lighter chair just so I was able to lock the brakes. solid back rest ect. my needs did change over the years. I wanted to try a Suspension chair. because every dam bump I go over i feel in my back. I was willing to try it. but my ot and DME fought me. I am gonna leave it at that. maybe next time around when rehabs demo and work with some of the Suspension chairs they will change their minds. each person is different.

Comment

Q7 offer a suspension option, but i`m not sure if you have that option in US.
        Anyone of you have a Q7 with suspension?

Comment

Originally posted by totoL1 View Post
          Q7 offer a suspension option, but i`m not sure if you have that option in US.
          Anyone of you have a Q7 with suspension?
          where did you find this I'd like to see a the whole chair.

Comment

Originally posted by randomryan007 View Post
            I will ask to my friend of the web, he posted and he have a good relation with Quickie, see if i could get a whole pic of a chair.
            At the moment i only have this, one shock absorber per side.
            The entire sistem add just 1 kilo to the chair.
            Last edited by totoL1; 2 Oct 2011, 4:55 PM.

Comment

From the Q7 flyer...

Comment

Very nice example of an F1-inspired design. Everything is tiny and as light as it can be.

BUT... Like F1 cars, the amount of suspension travel is necessarily very limited by the small components. The geometry would go all to hell (and things might break, etc.) if you got much more than about an inch of travel out of that design, if that.

So, here's a great study of trade-offs! You wouldn't take an F1 car to the Paris-Dakar race, nor would I take this chair down some of the rocky hills, or drops much taller than about a curb, that I encounter!

But if I were an urban F1 fan, I'd want this chair!

Comment

I wonder how it handles? hmmmm! since I am always in the city. seems like an expensive upgrade thou. I am only 100lbs so I don't think i'd be breaking it that easy. althou I wouldn't be suprised if I did. I seem to break everything. since people have pic of the Q7 Does anyone have pics of the Q7 with frog legs? As I am thinking of putting froglegs on my Q7

Comment

Originally posted by totoL1 View Post
                    The GTM the rear frame go down everytime i pushed the chair, absorb part of the energy of my push.
                    And the Kuschall was a really shit, the frame went from side to side among others things, and if you bend to one side to pick something of the floor for example, the frame bend with you, that day i think i get traumatized with the suspension chairs

i was going to ask that. that was my reason for not liking mountain bikes with rear suspension. every hard pedal the rear would squat and take away from your pedal effort. and going up hills was even worse.
                    c6 inc since 2-19-11
                    ex pro-am motocross racer
                    tilite aero z s2

Comment

I wonder how it handles? hmmmm!
                      Well, it has independent suspension on each wheel, so it will "roll" (tilt) a bit, like the other articulating design.

And with the geometry it's got, you're best off trying to land on all 4 wheels at the same time off a curb.

Comment

Originally posted by Wills77 View Post
                        i was going to ask that. that was my reason for not liking mountain bikes with rear suspension. every hard pedal the rear would squat and take away from your pedal effort. and going up hills was even worse.
                        Chairs are different in that regard!

With a bike, you're pushing down on the crank, which is attached to the frame. Thus, the thrust tends to compress the suspension.

In a chair, you are pushing on the wheel directly, so there might not be any suspension movement as a result.

Comment

Originally posted by a la carte View Post
                          Chairs are different in that regard!

With a bike, you're pushing down on the crank, which is attached to the frame. Thus, the thrust tends to compress the suspension.

In a chair, you are pushing on the wheel directly, so there might not be any suspension movement as a result.
                          There certainly isn't any suspension compression when pushing my Marvel M1. It feels just like a hard tail when pushing.
                          "I have great faith in fools; self-confidence my friends call it." - Edgar Allen Poe

"If you only know your side of an issue, you know nothing." -John Stuart Mill, On Liberty

Comment

...and a lot of today's full suspension mountain bikes have eliminated that "pogo" as well. a decade ago it was a different story.

Comment

Originally posted by DaleB View Post
                              There certainly isn't any suspension compression when pushing my Marvel M1. It feels just like a hard tail when pushing.
                              The only time I really notice any in my XTR is when I've got a heavy load of groceries or something on my lap, so I can't lean forward, and I have to push up a very steep ramp. But the movement doesn't make me feel like I'm wasting energy, just that I'm going to go over backwards easier.... so I can't push so hard.

Comment

I love the way that looks, honestly

Comment

Working...
                                X