Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Purchasing new van

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    #31
    Originally posted by WC_Sage View Post
    CowboyCrip,

    Regarding "... I am getting away from EMC EGB due to the insane price (30k!) ..." - there are some less expensive used EMC devices available.
    From what I hear, the 2011'S require the AVEIT 2.0.

    Comment


      #32
      Originally posted by Curt Leatherbee View Post
      Maybe you should go with a Odessey or a Sienna (below 2011) I've just heard of so many issues with the T and C's.
      nEVER thought of the Odessey... Just assumed $$$ Tried 2010 Sienna'S but no new inventory up hear.

      Comment


        #33
        I tried out both the t and c in both standard height and the xt.
        I need the xt as I sit 58'' from the ground up to my tip of may head.
        The xt gave me about 2'' of head room in case in the future I need to drive from my wheelchair.
        Was really nice not to duck all the time once I got inside.
        With my mid wheelchair electric chair I had no problems making the turn inside.
        Rear drive would be harder but I think most would.
        I had them not use the knell system and had no proble going in front or backwords.

        So looks like thats the one my ins. will hopefully buy me this time.
        Also I need the better gas millage as the ford e 150 van with the 5.4 is killing me on gas.

        Art
        Art

        Comment


          #34
          I've owned 15 or 20 conversion vans in the past 30 yrs. i've owned Braun, Rollx and VMI. Toyota's and Chryslers. The Toyota is far superior to the T&C. And the Braun is way better than the VMI and Rollx. A Rollx T&C will give you nothing but grief. My wife can vouch for the problem with Rollx. She got real tired of dead batteries and resetting the electronics.

          Stick with Toyota & Braun folding ramp.

          Last time I talked to Marty about the crap I purchased, he hung up on me. lol

          Comment


            #35
            thank you
            Life is like a box of chocolates, you never know what you're gonna get.

            Comment


              #36
              Originally posted by brysan View Post
              I've owned 15 or 20 conversion vans in the past 30 yrs. i've owned Braun, Rollx and VMI. Toyota's and Chryslers. The Toyota is far superior to the T&C. And the Braun is way better than the VMI and Rollx. A Rollx T&C will give you nothing but grief. My wife can vouch for the problem with Rollx. She got real tired of dead batteries and resetting the electronics.

              Stick with Toyota & Braun folding ramp.

              Last time I talked to Marty about the crap I purchased, he hung up on me. lol
              The issue with the RollX conversion draining the battery was cured years ago. The computer shuts off all electronics to the conversion if the battery drops as far as 12.4 volts. That gives you enough battery power to start the vehicle. So i disagree; RollX will always at the TOP of my list for conversion.

              Comment


                #37
                Originally posted by brysan View Post
                I've owned 15 or 20 conversion vans in the past 30 yrs. i've owned Braun, Rollx and VMI. Toyota's and Chryslers. The Toyota is far superior to the T&C. And the Braun is way better than the VMI and Rollx. A Rollx T&C will give you nothing but grief. My wife can vouch for the problem with Rollx. She got real tired of dead batteries and resetting the electronics.

                Stick with Toyota & Braun folding ramp.

                Last time I talked to Marty about the crap I purchased, he hung up on me. lol
                You might of had that problem in the past with RollX vans but i guarantee you the problem is resolved. I refer a lot of people to RollX vans and they praise me for sending them to Marty @ RollX.

                Please, if you have any questions about the RollX conversions, please contact Marty Walterhouse @ (952) 808-2751. This is his direct line! Marty's been working with conversion vans for many years and can answer any questions you have.

                Thanks
                Chris moran

                Comment


                  #38
                  Coming to the final stages of ordering a new 2012 Town & Country Touring-L modified by Amerivan (Eldorado).

                  I haven't heard much on Amerivan besides what the dealer tells me........I would love some honest "been there done that" feedback.
                  Life is like a box of chocolates, you never know what you're gonna get.

                  Comment


                    #39
                    Originally posted by brysan View Post
                    I've owned 15 or 20 conversion vans in the past 30 yrs. i've owned Braun, Rollx and VMI. Toyota's and Chryslers. The Toyota is far superior to the T&C. And the Braun is way better than the VMI and Rollx. A Rollx T&C will give you nothing but grief. My wife can vouch for the problem with Rollx. She got real tired of dead batteries and resetting the electronics.

                    Stick with Toyota & Braun folding ramp.

                    Last time I talked to Marty about the crap I purchased, he hung up on me. lol
                    I agree the Toyota is a little better than the Dodge or T&C, imo: the Honda is better than the Toyota by more of a margin than the Toyota is better than the Dodge.

                    There all going to last about the same amount of time before they rust out, but the Toyota will ride a little better than the Dodge and the Honda will do it better than all of them.

                    Now if your going to put 200k miles on a van nothing is going to come close to the Honda.

                    As to Braun ver's VMI there both really good with each of them having there strong and week points.

                    It's been more than 10 years since a Braun was way better than a VMI
                    Jim, MA, MMET
                    Bridgewater, MA

                    Comment


                      #40
                      Originally posted by gurly2356 View Post
                      Coming to the final stages of ordering a new 2012 Town & Country Touring-L modified by Amerivan (Eldorado).

                      I haven't heard much on Amerivan besides what the dealer tells me........I would love some honest "been there done that" feedback.
                      I really like the Eldorado conversion and there stainless steel floor.

                      We've been doing them for around 4 years now and have had really good luck with them.

                      Let me know if you have any specific questions about there mobility conversion.
                      Jim, MA, MMET
                      Bridgewater, MA

                      Comment


                        #41
                        Sorry Chris, your are incorrect on them resolving this. I have a 2008 and they have replaced/moved the computer twice on my vehicle. it still has the problem with the draining battery. i no longer have the time to think they have a fix. I bought a charger with quick connects and charge regularly all winter so I don't end up with a dead battery.

                        Originally posted by Chris-M View Post
                        You might of had that problem in the past with RollX vans but i guarantee you the problem is resolved. I refer a lot of people to RollX vans and they praise me for sending them to Marty @ RollX.

                        Please, if you have any questions about the RollX conversions, please contact Marty Walterhouse @ (952) 808-2751. This is his direct line! Marty's been working with conversion vans for many years and can answer any questions you have.

                        Thanks
                        Chris moran

                        Comment


                          #42
                          I'm going with a van for my next vehicle to save my shoulders. Trying to clarify a few things, it seems from reading here for a few years that lift equipped vans seem to be more reliable then ramp equipped vans? But it also seems that generally lifts have fallen out of favour vs. ramp equipped vans? Are the ramp vans more in favour because of the lower "footprint" when they are deployed?

                          Conversely I've seen lots of issues with lifts in the bus industry that seem to be from lack of regular use so long story short I'm trying to figure out what is the most reliable way to go that isn't going cost me a bundle or leave me up the creek if something goes haywire. Seriously wondering if I should stick with the "keep it simple" car with handcontrols.

                          Comment


                            #43
                            Originally posted by canuck View Post
                            I'm going with a van for my next vehicle to save my shoulders. Trying to clarify a few things, it seems from reading here for a few years that lift equipped vans seem to be more reliable then ramp equipped vans? But it also seems that generally lifts have fallen out of favour vs. ramp equipped vans? Are the ramp vans more in favour because of the lower "footprint" when they are deployed?

                            Conversely I've seen lots of issues with lifts in the bus industry that seem to be from lack of regular use so long story short I'm trying to figure out what is the most reliable way to go that isn't going cost me a bundle or leave me up the creek if something goes haywire. Seriously wondering if I should stick with the "keep it simple" car with handcontrols.
                            I don't know of a mini van conversion with a "lift" and I don't know of a full sized van conversion with folding or in floor "ramps". I think many people buy minivans because they are easier to park in garage spaces (height constraints in home and commercial spaces) and with kneeling devices the minivan ramps don't take up as much room, as you say "footprint." In addition, there is some truth to the notion that a mini van drives more like a car than a full sized van, which drives more like a truck.

                            In either case mini or full sized vans, lift or ramp, there are manual back up systems installed to decrease the risk of being "stuck." These manual safety back up systems may need to be operated by some else depending on your level of function and whether the system fails when you are inside or outside of the van.

                            My first van, 28 years ago, (before mini vans were invented) was a Ford Econoline van with a rotary lift (I'm not sure these lifts are made today). Back then many commercial garages and many home garages were not accessible to any vehicle over 6' 8" tall. With the advent of Title 24 and the ADA, this restriction is not as much of a problem as it was then. I've got to say, it was a big "bus." The downside (I didn't and don't drive) for those vans was that while my wife drove, I couldn't sit "up front." The tie-downs for the wheelchair were located in the middle row.

                            Since the Econoline, I have had 3 minivans, Dodge Caravan, Ford Windstar, and now a 2010 Honda Odyssey with a VMI conversion. Of course each of these has been better and more reliable than the last one because of refinements and improvements in the conversion packages. In 28, going on 29 years of handicapped motoring, we've only been stuck about 3 or 4 times due to failure of the conversion features. We have been stuck probably 4 or 5 times that due to mechanical problems with the van.

                            All the best,
                            GJ

                            Comment


                              #44
                              Re: The Eldorado...I see the wheelchair taxis around here with the Amerivan nameplate on them, so I guess if good enough for taxi fleet usage...

                              I'm curious what sort of experiences people have with the current Honda Odessy factory power side doors. I'm thinking a van (unconverted) might be easier vs. a car by just throwing the wheelchair whole in a side door. But I'm kind of leery of an electric door under multiple daily usage...and if it will last with that type of duty cycle. Somehow I suspect Honda doesnt expect that much use? Maybe they do, and it works ok?

                              Comment


                                #45
                                Originally posted by Andy View Post
                                Re: The Eldorado...I see the wheelchair taxis around here with the Amerivan nameplate on them, so I guess if good enough for taxi fleet usage...

                                I'm curious what sort of experiences people have with the current Honda Odessy factory power side doors. I'm thinking a van (unconverted) might be easier vs. a car by just throwing the wheelchair whole in a side door. But I'm kind of leery of an electric door under multiple daily usage...and if it will last with that type of duty cycle. Somehow I suspect Honda doesnt expect that much use? Maybe they do, and it works ok?
                                If not the number one choice, surely a mini van is the number two choice for transporting kids to and from school, games, practice, and where ever else kids need to be driven several times a day, everyday. So, I think these doors are probably engineered with high usage cycles in mind. We have a 2010 Honda Odyssey. It is the first mini van we have had that has two electric sliding doors. My wife prefers getting in and out of the van through the sliding doors even when I am not in the van with her. No chance of hitting the car beside you with your door in today's compact parking spaces. She uses the side door behind the driver's seat almost exclusively when she is running errands by herself.

                                All the best,
                                GJ

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X