No announcement yet.

Icon Product Shots

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I understand how the shock works, just needed to know a good atarting point. Jeff answered my question @75% body weight. So, I weigh 140lbs., start with 105psi. and fine tune it from there.

Comment

Originally posted by jschism View Post
      I understand how the shock works, just needed to know a good atarting point. Jeff answered my question @75% body weight. So, I weigh 140lbs., start with 105psi. and fine tune it from there.
      depending on the pump I add 3-5 extra Lbs. that I might lose removing the pump from the shock

Comment

[QUOTE=stephen212;1420498]The front seat height of my chair is 19" and my legs make contact with the frame at the bend, which is at ~18" from the floor and for the width (and at this location, height) of the 1.25" tubing. The width of the front end of this (tapered) chair, measured from inside the tubing, is 11.5". As for how many tries/chairs it took to get it right, well, that's not as straightforward an answer; it's only more recently that I decided that keeping my knees closer together was an objective of mine.
        QUOTE]

And next week (month... year) you may have a different or additional objective... The Icon won't be perfect in all situations but it is infinately more adjustable than your current chair...

Comment

Jeff,

How hard will it be to switch from standard to uni-tine to full Frog Leg castors?

I currently have Frog Legs on two of my chairs and love them but was thinking of trying the Uni-tines... I intalled the last set of Frog Legs myself and it was a PITA that I would prefer not having to go thru again... The problem was in the design of the caster housing that required mounting the caster bolt prior to installing the polyurethane dampeners and retention bolt...

Don't know if others have the same question so thought I'd ask here rather than pm... Thanks in advance

Comment

Originally posted by BriRi View Post
            And next week (month... year) you may have a different or additional objective... The Icon won't be perfect in all situations but it is infinately more adjustable than your current chair...
            I can't argue with that except. . . after having unsuccessfully trialed the Marvel, I don't believe that the Icon is significantly different with respect to my body dynamics, posture and preferences. I make great additional use of the front frame for transfers and assorted miscellaneous activities (e.g., certain aspects of my workout routine at the gym).

I want to be clear that I'm not arguing against the innovations of the Icon. I'm pro-Icon. I've forwarded information about the Icon to the out-patient seating clinician I see so that she can evaluate it and, hopefully, recommend it to patients for whom it will the right match. I think the Icon is a GREAT concept, bursting with innovation, and I'm confident that it will be the RIGHT chair for a large segment of users. Aside from all that, having spent time with Jeff, my esteem for him as a person, aside from his obvious professional talents, couldn't get much higher. So if my praise means anything to anyone, you can take that to the bank.
            Last edited by stephen212; 17 Sep 2011, 4:28 PM. Reason: clarity
            stephen@bike-on.com

Comment

Originally posted by jschism View Post
              Gotcha, glad to know. For anyone else perhaps less knowledgable than yourself, but interested in the Icon, it's important they know that following a pre-set PSI recommendation on an air shock is just a good starting point and that setting preload, compression dampening and rebound dampening, (if the shock is capable), is actually what needs to happen to tune it 'just right'. Psi is only one or two of those parameters, depending on the shock in question. Can't wait to get my hands on and butt into an A1! Looking very, very sharp.
              "I have great faith in fools; self-confidence my friends call it." - Edgar Allen Poe

"If you only know your side of an issue, you know nothing." -John Stuart Mill, On Liberty

Comment

Were do the Wheel Locks Mount?
                Last edited by randomryan007; 13 Sep 2011, 2:07 PM. Reason: bad spelling

Comment

We have a fixture that comes off the seat and back post brackets that positions the brakes under the seatpan.

Comment

Originally posted by DaleB View Post
                    Gotcha, glad to know. For anyone else perhaps less knowledgable than yourself, but interested in the Icon, it's important they know that following a pre-set PSI recommendation on an air shock is just a good starting point and that setting preload, compression dampening and rebound dampening, (if the shock is capable), is actually what needs to happen to tune it 'just right'. Psi is only one or two of those parameters, depending on the shock in question. Can't wait to get my hands on and butt into an A1! Looking very, very sharp.
                    I'm concerned about the two Fox shocks offered. I did some research and the reviews aren't good. Both are getting about 3 out of 5 stars. These reviews are from mountain bikers, I don't know if that makes the difference. There were complaints about air leaking out daily, shocks bottoming out and poor customer service from Fox.

Also, unless I am mistaken, only the upgraded shock on the Icon has the lockout feature. I figure that's a really important feature.

Comment

Please tell me you read reviews other than those on mtbr.com. I'm currently living in one of the mountain biking meccas in the US (Crested Butte, CO) & see Fox shocks everywhere, including both models offered on the A1. They're not junk by any means, and they get beat on extremely hard out here (WAY more than they'll ever see from everyday use on a wheelchair). Personally, I don't see any need for concern.

Comment

Originally posted by -scott- View Post
                        Please tell me you read reviews other than those on mtbr.com. I'm currently living in one of the mountain biking meccas in the US (Crested Butte, CO) & see Fox shocks everywhere, including both models offered on the A1. They're not junk by any means, and they get beat on extremely hard out here (WAY more than they'll ever see from everyday use on a wheelchair). Personally, I don't see any need for concern.
                        I'm very happy to hear you say that. Yes, that is where I read the reviews. I don't know anything at all about mountain biking.

I figure Jeff would be using the best and the reviews confused me.

Thanks for clearing it up. :-)

Comment

Originally posted by grommet View Post
                          I'm concerned about the two Fox shocks offered. I did some research and the reviews aren't good. Both are getting about 3 out of 5 stars. These reviews are from mountain bikers, I don't know if that makes the difference. There were complaints about air leaking out daily, shocks bottoming out and poor customer service from Fox.

Also, unless I am mistaken, only the upgraded shock on the Icon has the lockout feature. I figure that's a really important feature.
                          Any MTB shock the correct mm will fit. Go standard and put however much $ into an aftermarket upgrade you want. I personally don't think there will be issues bottoming out at wheel chair velocity but any air system certainly can develop a leak. I never lock out the XM-180CF shock on my M1. Maybe if I worked out in it, or something like that, I would. It is jarring, literally, when it's locked out. No sense in that! While a fully welded rigid frame may transfer push energy to the ground efficiently it also transfers every bump and irregularity on the ground up to the rider very efficiently. I leave the shock on. I ride the Mg when I want my teeth rattled.
                          "I have great faith in fools; self-confidence my friends call it." - Edgar Allen Poe

"If you only know your side of an issue, you know nothing." -John Stuart Mill, On Liberty

Comment

Looks very interesting!!
                            Better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak and remove all doubt.

Comment

DaleB, thanks for the info. I have been thinking I would want to lock out the shock when stairclimbing. Not sure when else I'd need it, maybe when going up a steep hill? I was not lucky enough to get a Marvel and I envy you there.

Appreciate the help, it's good to hear as much as I can.

Comment

Originally posted by grommet View Post
                                DaleB, thanks for the info. I have been thinking I would want to lock out the shock when stairclimbing. Not sure when else I'd need it, maybe when going up a steep hill? I was not lucky enough to get a Marvel and I envy you there.

Appreciate the help, it's good to hear as much as I can.

The only time I ever lock mine out is when I'm picking up something really heavy (like over 45 pounds or so), so in practical terms, I only turn it off when I'm at the gym, or picking up one of my nieces or nephews - even then, I can "get away" with not turning it off.

I also stairclimb, and leave the shock engaged, both going up and downstairs.

Comment

Working...
                                X