No announcement yet.

Standby Generators

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

We had a 27 KW natural gas Generac installed 2 years ago. It cost $19,000, we have a 4800 square ft. house. It was definitely worth it, we live in a heavily wooded area and have frequent power outages.

We've had several power outages recently. I'm on a Clinitron bed, have well water and 100 degree Texas weather so it has been a lifesaver!
    Renee

Comment

I don't know what I would have done if I did not have the generator during the recent hurricane in New York. It ran for seven days straight, though I shut it down once a day to let it cool down and check the oil. I spent the entire week quite comfortably and the noise level was quite reasonable. However, it is just as unnerving knowing that your only lifeline is the generator and if that goes you got a major problem.

I made it through the hurricane okay only to have the power line to my house get torn off during the nor'easter and have a shower of electrical sparks raining down on my house. I thought something was wrong when the breakers were going off in a manner which sounded like it was going to explode. My neighbor, witnessing the electrical arcing tried to reach me by phone and then came banging on the door. Fire department came by and recommended evacuating the house until the line can be stabilized. They were afraid of a house or electrical fire. Together with my parents we had to drive to their home at midnight in whiteout conditions with trees and power lines down all over the road.

Thankfully, electrician was able to repair the service to my home and I was able to return the next day.

I would highly recommend that everyone who has a private home have an electrical contractor inspect their electrical service drop, the route from the point where the line from the pole attaches to your house all the way down into your breaker box is in good working order, with no signs of wear, decay, corrosion, or other weaknesses. It should be inspected probably once every 10 years and you can keep an eye on it yourself with a good set of binoculars.

Comment

When I was younger, I spent 10 years living on ships. I was in Newport Beach Harbor during the '94 Northridge earthquake. Having the ability to make my own electricity and fresh water was incredibly helpful.

I am in the planning stages for a house I intend to spend the rest of my pre-retirement home life. I consider a generator to be a necessity.

The generacs are nice machines. I have used some of their large industrial diesel power plants. I particularly like, for a residential backup, the 6Kw ecogen running off propane. I have found that I don't need much electricity to keep the fridge going as long as my heat is coming from another source. And I've lived through enough natural disasters to really want to be able to go 10-14 days without services.

A very interesting product available in Europe is the whispergen stirling-cycle generator. It is only rated for 1Kw, but it also puts out hot water. If you tie it into your radiators or underfloor heating, you don't need a wood stove for heat.

Some may consider my caution to border on paranoia, but with my limited ability to go out in a disaster and fix things, combined with my inability to transport myself away from one, I'm insistent on building in redundancy.
        Played with bombs- No SCI, Brain Damage enough that I require a chair and a caregiver.

Comment

Working...
        X