Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Navigating stairs?

Hey folks,
    So I'm moving to a new house closer to school, unfortunately it is a bungalow. I can remain in the main floor Which has the essentials. However it's really suck if I can't get to the basement...

What ways are there to get down there? Stairlift? They are not appealing, as I'd need 2 wheelchairs.

Ideas?

Incline platforms allow you to use one chair.

I imagine they're pricey.
    Please donate a dollar a day at http://justadollarplease.org.
    Copy and paste this message to the bottom of your signature.

Thanks!

Comment

If you are a para; bum yourself up and down the stairs. Put a chair downstairs to use.

Comment

Originally posted by Patrick Madsen View Post
        If you are a para; bum yourself up and down the stairs. Put a chair downstairs to use.
        I use to do that Patrick, when I was young and.... "horny" or was it young and stupid?

However a better solution is a platform lift. I got lucky with a used one, new installed would have been $18,000, but I watched and watched online for 2 years and found a few, just be patient.

I just recently bought a Savaria platform lift online (got really lucky with length and angle of stairs) for $500 and got it installed for $1,200 and I now have access to my basement. If the lift was to long or two short adjustments would have to be made and it would have probably doubled my install cost.

These lifts last for ever, they are chain driven with an electric motor on a worm gear, nothing should really go wrong with them if installed correctly. (knock on wood) Electric motors last for ever and a day and unless the power goes out I am good to go.

Oopy
        Last edited by OopyDoopy; 5 Aug 2011, 12:40 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by diaspora View Post
          Hey folks,
          So I'm moving to a new house closer to school, unfortunately it is a bungalow. I can remain in the main floor Which has the essentials. However it's really suck if I can't get to the basement...

What ways are there to get down there? Stairlift? They are not appealing, as I'd need 2 wheelchairs.

Ideas?
          I think two chairs would be the way to go, something inexpensive from Ebay maybe just for the basement. If you are gung ho and want to ride down and climb up the stairs I've got some videos on Youtube of me practicing, there are lots of others too.

Personally I couldn't handle going up and down stairs everyday in my living space but for occasionally when I'm out, it's a great skill to have.

Comment

Working...
          X