Driving in North Carolina

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Driving in North Carolina

Hello, I am from North Carolina and want to start driving, i need to know what i need. I checked to get hand controls installed and they(hand control installer/dealer) said i need to get certified first, ok but to get certified its around $2000.
    So
    1: by law do i have to be certified to drive with hand control?
    2: I currently have a New York state valid license with no restrictions, if i go to dmv to get an NC license what will i need to get it?
    just gathering some info, seems just to start driving i would have to spend over $3500 for that certification and hand controls installed.
    thank you
    c6/7 incomplete 6/30/07

whats that smell? its me, cause im the shit.

если я сейчас умру то нахуй я родился

Driving In NC

Cure Care is an excellent source of information, however, have you called the NC driver license folks? They know exactly what you need.

When I lived in NC I was checked out by driving a car with hand controls. The rehab unit of the hospital charged me $140 for the certification.

I thin went to my driver license bureau, took a driving test, passed, and issued a license with restrictions for hand controls.
    You C.A.N.
    Conquer Adversity Now

Comment

Do you currently have a valid NC drivers lic? If yes you could buy a set of portable HCs and drive to the drivers lic place and do the road test and prove you can drive with them and they will add that restriction to your lic. I got hand controls on my car back in 1994 without any training and some how did not get the resrtriction on my lic till this last time I got my lic renewed, that was a screw up on the HPs part Will address this in more detail when I get home...

Comment

how many states require certification? I never heard if this, in Illinois you just put hand controls on and drive, nothing special has to be done.

Comment

PA drivers test with hand controls. Restrictions on drivers license.
          C 5/6 Comp.
          No Tri's or hand function.

Far better it is to try mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure. Than to take rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy much or suffer much, because they live in the grey twilight that knows neither victory or defeat.

Teddy Roosevelt

Comment

Originally posted by wazabiker View Post
            Cure Care is an excellent source of information, however, have you called the NC driver license folks? They know exactly what you need.

When I lived in NC I was checked out by driving a car with hand controls. The rehab unit of the hospital charged me $140 for the certification.

I thin went to my driver license bureau, took a driving test, passed, and issued a license with restrictions for hand controls.
            i havent called the dmv yet but i will.
            c6/7 incomplete 6/30/07

Comment

Originally posted by djrolling View Post
              Do you currently have a valid NC drivers lic? If yes you could buy a set of portable HCs and drive to the drivers lic place and do the road test and prove you can drive with them and they will add that restriction to your lic. I got hand controls on my car back in 1994 without any training and some how did not get the resrtriction on my lic till this last time I got my lic renewed, that was a screw up on the HPs part Will address this in more detail when I get home...
              i do not have a NC license but i do have New York State valid license
              c6/7 incomplete 6/30/07

Comment

Regarding:
                "by law do i have to be certified to drive with hand control?"
                * No

Regarding:
                "I currently have a New York state valid license with no restrictions, if i go to dmv to get an NC license what will i need to get it?"
                * A copy of your birth certificate
                * Your NY drivers license
                * If a driving test is required, a vehicle (yours or a borrowed vehicle) with hand controls so that you can successfully take the driving test

Comment

Originally posted by russianboss View Post
                  I would call the local drivers license office and tell them you use hand controls to drive, that you are from NY and want to know what you need to do to get your NC drivers license. If they tell you just come in and take the NC drivers license test and road test ( to demonstrate you can drive using hand controls). Then that is what I would do. If they tell you that you need some type of certification then so be it but that has not been my experience. I never got any training or anything. You can get a set of portable HCs for about $350 I think. I drove from 1994 to 2009 without a restriction on my license, but that was because they did not make me take a road test when I renewed my license. The people in the office should have done that since I rolled in in a wheelchair but either they were slack or the person that waited on me did not know what they were doing and I was not aware that I needed that restriction on my license since I used HCs.

Comment

I have a NC license. A driving test is required for everyone. I just used my car, which had hand controls in it already (moved here from VA, licensed there). The DMV folks didn't treat me any differently, nor did I tell them about anything in advance.

You don't legally need any special certification.

If your NY license is current it'll be easy.

But... have you driven with hand controls before?

Comment

your original question asks about getting hand controls installed by a dealer. the dealer is telling you that they require you to have a driving eval before they will install anything for you. it's not a matter of law but is their policy, which many dealers require as a cya.

Comment

Originally posted by russianboss View Post
                        if you are living in NC, you will have to change your lisence. you could get the hand controls, and when you go to get your lisence changed imply that you have always had them. then maybe you wouldnt have to get a certification.

If you dont have a Nc lisence you wont be able to get a bank account in that state.

I am in sc, with a pennsylvania lisence, and cannot get a bank account, get my car registered, and other things because I am having trouble getting sc to accept my divorce papers. lucky guys dont change their names. I do know someone in north carolina who is having about the same problems as I, so it appears their laws and requirements are similar.

Comment

I concur, no cert needed in NC. Just practice with your hand controls in a big parking lot, then go take the road test. You'll need your NY license, birth certificate and cash or check. Not sure if you'll need to do written or not.

Comment

In Georgia, you have to be certified to get the equipment installed unless you do it yourself. I had to take a driving test but not a written test. I already had a license so there was not charge for the new license. I had to get certified as my insurance company required it to insure the modifications also. (Accessible lowered van.)

Good luck.
                            Millard
                            ''Life's tough... it's even tougher if you're stupid!'' -- John Wayne

Comment

how many people saying "certification is needed" were trying to get financial aid from a state/federal program? that's the only time I've heard of any classes or certification are needed.

Comment

Working...
                              X