No announcement yet.

Driving in North Carolina

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

You seem to be asking two separate questions.

"How can I get a dealer to install hand controls without obtaining a "certification" that I am qualified to drive with hand controls?"

"Is such a certification a legal requirement to obtain a North Carolina driver's license?"

As evidenced by previous posts, there is a lot of grey area.

I was still ambulatory when I showed up at the local Pennsylvania State Troopers Barracks to take the driver's test for my first license. The trooper at the counter noticed my rolling gait and questioned my ability to drive. A trooper in the background became interested in our conversation. He volunteered, "I'll take him out and see what he can do." I had been driving without benefit of license since I could reach the pedals of the trucks on Grandma's farm. In short order the trooper noted my mechanical skills were entirely adequate (no special equipment). I didn't do as well on the oral exam, but the trooper said he would pass me if I promised to brush up.

Returning to the barracks, the first trooper skeptically asked the examiner, "how'd he do?" The trooper who gave the test said simply; "he knows how to drive." I got my license. It was quite some time later that I discovered the small "c" that indicated that I had been issued a classified license. The classification on the back consisted of a note that stated "walks with a limp." Complying with the law, I never operated any motor vehicle without that limp.
    Foolish

"We have met the enemy and he is us."-POGO.

"I have great faith in fools; self-confidence my friends call it."~Edgar Allan Poe

"Dream big, you might never wake up!"- Snoop Dogg

Comment

Originally posted by -scott- View Post
      I have a NC license. A driving test is required for everyone. I just used my car, which had hand controls in it already (moved here from VA, licensed there). The DMV folks didn't treat me any differently, nor did I tell them about anything in advance.

You don't legally need any special certification.

If your NY license is current it'll be easy.

But... have you driven with hand controls before?
      same here, just went to the office and handed them my va license, took the eye test and drove around the block and left with license
      We must reject the idea that every time a law's broken, society is guilty rather than the lawbreaker. It is time to restore the American precept that each individual is accountable for his actions.
      Ronald Reagan

Comment

Originally posted by -scott- View Post
        I have a NC license. A driving test is required for everyone. I just used my car, which had hand controls in it already (moved here from VA, licensed there). The DMV folks didn't treat me any differently, nor did I tell them about anything in advance.

You don't legally need any special certification.

If your NY license is current it'll be easy.

But... have you driven with hand controls before?
        no i have not driven with hand controls, but i think i will get some portable ones and practice like others have suggested.
        c6/7 incomplete 6/30/07

whats that smell? its me, cause im the shit.

если я сейчас умру то нахуй я родился

Comment

Originally posted by jody View Post
          I am in sc, with a pennsylvania lisence, and cannot get a bank account, get my car registered, and other things because I am having trouble getting sc to accept my divorce papers. lucky guys dont change their names. I do know someone in north carolina who is having about the same problems as I, so it appears their laws and requirements are similar.
          You should be able to get a bank account with out a license, some local banks dont even need a social security #, i have a few paperless friends who got accounts.
          c6/7 incomplete 6/30/07

Comment

Thank you every one for your input, I'll get portable hand control, practice and hopefully get the license.
            c6/7 incomplete 6/30/07

Comment

If you use hand controls in PA, you need to take a drivers test, pass, then they put restrictions on your license. If caught driving with hand controls without cert. on license, big problem.
              C 5/6 Comp.
              No Tri's or hand function.

Far better it is to try mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure. Than to take rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy much or suffer much, because they live in the grey twilight that knows neither victory or defeat.

Teddy Roosevelt

Comment

Originally posted by redbandit View Post
                I concur, no cert needed in NC. Just practice with your hand controls in a big parking lot, then go take the road test. You'll need your NY license, birth certificate and cash or check. Not sure if you'll need to do written or not.
                in both pennsylvania and South Carolina they do not accept cash at the DMV.
                this is because it discourages armed robbery of the cash if they had it.

they usually have a place near where you can purchase a money order, and they direct you there.

Comment

Working...
                X