Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

got 10k worth of a new chair today, kinda not happy.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by gjnl View Post
    From your description, it sound as though you might need some tweaking of certain parts of the chair. Does your backrest need to be adjusted up/down/back/forward? Can you swap the armrests that came with the chair for ones that you like? My durable medical equipment supplier has always been very good about making changes for me, crediting the account for something returned and then applying a substitution for the returned item.

I think you may be stuck with the extra width because of the space needed for the power assist apparatus. But, there may be a few millimeters that can be adjusted out there, as well.

Hope things work out....I know it is disappointing when you have anticipated a new chair and then you find out things you didn't think about or weren't told about. Did you have the opportunity to see the chair before you ordered it?

All the best,
    GJ
    If you read, I did tweak. I already took off as much as I could. there is only 1 available armrest that comes with the wheel type, and so I had them remove the hardware, since it looked crazy midevil compared to what I'm used to.

i'm getting a wicked glare from my sunlight, but this looks ridiculous.
    here's what I have now, and the new. also, nowhere was it mentioned that there's anything other than the batteries in the center of the wheels, so be prepared to see this on the back of your chair (looks like a big quart of oil?) also, in picture 3, I put up a peice of white paper so you could see the big chunky wtfever they use to attach the backrest- there's like o-rings, pins, a cord, a grenade launcher, princess diana's sapphire, michael jackson's monkey, alllll kinds of ish in there.
    An administrator made me remove my signature.

Comment

thinking I should change my avatar to this.

Comment

and the armrest, which I bet, weighs more than my standard wheels/tires combined? why add antiquated parts with supposedly new technology?

Comment

Originally posted by feisty View Post
          Also, Scissor locks are ridiculous for people with long legs. I had them taken off on the spot, lest my top heavy self topple over trying to reach under halfway down my cushion.
          Keep talking.
          stephen@bike-on.com

Comment

...I yelled to the cabbie, "Yo holmes, smell ya later."

Comment

If you read, I did tweak. I already took off as much as I could. there is only 1 available armrest that comes with the wheel type, and so I had them remove the hardware, since it looked crazy midevil compared to what I'm used to.
              I did read, and I offered a couple of ideas about additional tweaking that you may need to consider or about which you may need to inquire.

All the best,
              GJ

Comment

Wow, I have seen better armrests on chairs they roll fat people around in at the airport.

Comment

you might actually like the backrest after you use it a while.
                  it is very unfortunate that after that expense you are not happy with your new wheels.
                  what is it like to push it? like up hill and over bumps and up curbs with the power assist wheels? It doesnt look like monster sized.

Comment

thinking I should change my avatar to this.
                    'Cause that'd be soooo different.

Comment

With eyes as beautiful as yours; they should never be accompanied with a frown.

I trust we, as a group, can make the chair fit you better and turn that frown back into a smile.

Comment

I don't think testing out chairs and equipment is as common as everyone says it is around here. I did do alot of reading in advance and research, but there's never been a way to demo a chair I've purchased that I remember.
                        South Carolina is like a third world country and my DME brought chairs with extenders and e-motions for me to try. And he pointed out the shortcomings of both. I already had good info that I got from CC members here. I understand what you are saying about the wheel width. Without any camber, they are difficult to get a good stroke. As for the Quickie armrests, if you pull the top part out, they make decent fenders that can keep seat cushions from moving. They are heavy. Not aluminum for sure. I don't know how your DME ran that up to 18k. The highest I could go on the extender with an extra battery was 13k. In the end, I opted for a power chair. These two power assists would have caused as many problems as they would solve, given the condition of my shoulders.
                        You will find a guide to preserving shoulder function @
                        http://www.rstce.pitt.edu/RSTCE_Reso...imb_Injury.pdf

See my personal webpage @
                        http://cccforum55.freehostia.com/

Comment

I would think in that case,
                          i would be ahead of the game, living in the capitol of California, but alas, it is not as easy as it seems. I would caution those of you who always say demo, demo, demo! to newly injured members or new to the market peeps, because that ish rarely or never happens. I think I got to test run 1 chair once. but never the difference in wheels, types, backrests, so many of things of the things that make up a chair purchase.
                          I agree.... This frustrated me to no end. I am at the seating clinic acting like I know what I am talking about, they bring me demos. I am allowed to push down the hall in a few chairs. Now I am a 14 inch person, they sit me in a 18 inch chair and think I can tell anything with my feet dangling and my arms unable to reach the wheels. I was like goldilocks in Papa bears chair. Forget about trying different options or taking it home for a while. I even spoke to TiLite directly who came to my house with another giant chair and stuffed a pillow behind me.
                          If you can't handle me at my worst, then you sure as hell don't deserve me at my best.

Sometimes it is easier to widen doors than it is to open minds.

Comment

Originally posted by NorthQuad View Post
                            ...I yelled to the cabbie, "Yo holmes, smell ya later."
                            Homes, not holmes, homeboy!

I feel ya, feisty, I think my first chair was 21" wide. New one is 13! It was really limiting, couldn't get thru doors.

DME's are heinous. A friend got a manual chair, they racked it up to 18K. Just a chair, no power assist. Also it didn't fit.

You're 5'11"? Never pictured you so tall. You're not the first long-legged gal I've heard that had problems w/ those lonnggg legs. I envied girls like you, as an AB. I guess I'll be happy w/ 6" less to deal with, now.
                            Blog:
                            Does This Wheelchair Make My Ass Look Fat?

Comment

I would think in that case,
                              i would be ahead of the game, living in the capitol of California, but alas, it is not as easy as it seems. I would caution those of you who always say demo, demo, demo! to newly injured members or new to the market peeps, because that ish rarely or never happens. I think I got to test run 1 chair once. but never the difference in wheels, types, backrests, so many of things of the things that make up a chair purchase.
                              I demoed every chair I've ever owned, be it in Indiana, Michigan, or Texas. Sometimes I took the demo home for a few days. I think if you are dealing with a provider who can't or won't provide demo equipment, then it's time to find another provider. Where you live, you should have choices. Also, think about calling the company rep for the region directly. They usually have relationships with their vendors and can help facilitate demos, etc.

It really sucks that you ended up with something that doesn't make you happy. I'm sorry. Huge amounts of $$ aside, we have to use these things every day, every hour we're up. We should have the best fit possible.

Comment

I prefer the tubular swing away armrests. Pop 'em on when I need them, and leave them off a lot of the time.

I hear you on the demo .... the best I have managed is to wheel around in something in the hall, and it usually isn't the right size, so I am guessing.

The only time I was really able to try something out was in rehab.

I don't like the scissor brakes either, especially hard to reach for when getting into the car.
                                T7-8 since Feb 2005

Comment

Working...
                                X