No announcement yet.

Can anyone recommend a good backpack?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I received a new backpack yesterday that I ordered from wheelchairgear.com, this is my second from them.

When I purchased my new TR3 last year I ordered a TiLite backpack also, large I believe. I really liked this back pack as it had the right amount of pockets for me and worked well, with the exception of that I unhook my backpacks on one side and swing it around to my lap and the strap design did not let it set on my lap well; I also like the way it looked on the back of my chair. Sadly, it is cheaply made and has already fallen apart.

The new backpack model I ordered is called "Slice". It is very well made and comes across as a bargain, at $38, comparably. When I first hooked the pack on my chair I didn't like that the top hung way out from the chair, due to the fact the way the straps are mounted, I am not sure of their reasoning here. I was considering picking up some camera straps and hooking them to the D ring loops mounted at the top to make my own hoops to hang from my chair, but my wife noted there is a second set of D-rings, lower than those in the picture, and we zip tied them together and this pulled the pack up tight to the chair, much better.

I just received the pack last night, so jury is out on total satisfaction, but I think it will work out well. I do not like the large plastic buckles; I also (think I) would like the pack to sit a little higher up my chair like the TiLite pack; I will have to play with adjustment.
    C5-6 Complete - 8/13/1982

Comment

...anybody no why sometimes when you attach pictures they show up automatically and other times it only gives links?

Comment

I know they are for women but so far I love the vera bradley backpack that I've been using. Not only is it pretty but the backpack itself is very light.

Comment

Originally posted by Brianm View Post
          ...anybody no why sometimes when you attach pictures they show up automatically and other times it only gives links?
          When you attach more than one picture to a post using the attachment feature (paper clip on the toolbar) just the links appear. If you attach just one picture, it shows up as a picture. I don't know why the Care Cure Community attach feature works like this, but it does.

Some people attach photos using one of the photo management services like photobucket and flickr and all of their photos show up as photos not links.

All the best,
          GJ

Comment

Thanks for the tip. Next time I will just do one picture at a time, closing the box each time, adding some text.

Comment

AFAIK, CC doesn't allow users to upload files as post attachments to their server with the "paper clip" button.

I think that is the jist of why just the link shows up; it's based on what tags/attachment process is used. Database insertion (paper clip) or external reference using IMG tags (mountain button).

I could totally stand corrected, of course!
              "I have great faith in fools; self-confidence my friends call it." - Edgar Allen Poe

"If you only know your side of an issue, you know nothing." -John Stuart Mill, On Liberty

Comment

I just got this under-chair bag, and quit using my backpack. I don't know yet whether or not I like the new bag. I wanted to try it because I don't get into my backpack too often, and the stuff I tend to carry there is heavy, so the backpack was really affecting my balance going up steep hills with my MagicWheels (I also use a small bag up front and a catchall). I haven't tested it up a hill yet, though.

My chair's cross bar prevents me from hanging the bag as high as I'd like. It won't fit above the bar under my solid seat pan. I'm considering getting a no-drop crossbar (per Stephen212) on my next chair. (I absolutely love having access to all the ideas available on CCC.)
                Chas
                TiLite TR3
                Dual-Axle TR3 with RioMobility DragonFly
                I am a person with mild/moderate hexaparesis (impaired movement in 4 limbs, head, & torso) caused by RRMS w/TM C7&T7 incomplete.

"I know you think you understand what you thought I said, but what I don't think you realize is that what you heard is not what I meant."
                <
                UNKNOWN AUTHOR>

Comment

Thanks for the tip. Next time I will just do one picture at a time, closing the box each time, adding some text.
                  If you have four pictures to post and you want a picture to show up instead of a link, you will have to post one picture per message. You will have four messages or posts, one right after the other.

All the best,
                  GJ

Comment

Or if you want up to four pics to show as pics (not links):

You can Go Advanced, Manage Attachments,

Browse and Upload to up to four (I think) pics:

Then insert the pics into the message:

Chas
                    TiLite TR3
                    Dual-Axle TR3 with RioMobility DragonFly
                    I am a person with mild/moderate hexaparesis (impaired movement in 4 limbs, head, & torso) caused by RRMS w/TM C7&T7 incomplete.

"I know you think you understand what you thought I said, but what I don't think you realize is that what you heard is not what I meant."
                    <
                    UNKNOWN AUTHOR>

Comment

Panthera just came out with a very nice backpack:

A little pricey at $80 but it's well designed and made.
                      I think you can purchase it from Triumphmobility.com
                      pat@beachmobility.com

Comment

I am using a Camelbak, those that you can buy from bicycle shops. I bought it without the bladder as I do not carry drinks inside the bag (which would also make it heavy).

I like the Camelbak as it has many zippers & compartments. Plus its meant for outdoor use, hence it is extremely well made, robust and light. Its definitely more expensive, but I also feel bags made specifically for wheelchair users are way overpriced considering the cheap material used and its workmanship.

With Camelbak, its made for cyclist and they are well made, weatherproof, light, uses good materials & very well engineered.

Comment

Originally posted by grommet View Post
                          The Camelback is also a backpack? I like to carry layers with me, at least a jacket and a vest. My quickie is stuffed with just these two things. I also carry a bottle of water, some tools and extras. It's not a lot but I'd like bag that doesn't make me feel like I'm delivering a baby when I reach in for something. Went with the Sportaid bag for more than ten years, but it was so cheaply made the ziipers always failed even before the frabric shredded. The Quickie is rugged with great zippers but I need a more capacity.

No WalMart's near me. I can hit up REI but I really like having something made for a chair. I don't have those long heavy padded straps digging into my back. Thanks for the tip though, I will check out the Camelback. They do make great stuff. I guess REI would have them and it's always fun going there :-)
                          I have the sport aid front bag with Caths, tools, wallet phone etc... Very handy, removable from chair to chair and great if you want to go out without a real bag.
                          At the back, I hang an old fashioned school bag or messenger bag on the hook of my freewheel...
                          For my water bottle I attached a cf bike bottle on the front right tube... Water always in my sight, reminds me to keep hydrated (it is 42deg C where I am...)

I use the same hook to hang my shopping bags. Dead handy.

Ck

Comment

Originally posted by chasmengr View Post
                            I just got this under-chair bag, and quit using my backpack. I don't know yet whether or not I like the new bag. I wanted to try it because I don't get into my backpack too often, and the stuff I tend to carry there is heavy, so the backpack was really affecting my balance going up steep hills with my MagicWheels (I also use a small bag up front and a catchall). I haven't tested it up a hill yet, though..)
                            That's the bag I've been dying to get. Its available on eBay for $53 and free shipping. I definitely want it before I go back to school (whenever I get that to happen) because I think it's the best option for text books or a laptop.
                            Board Member of Assistance Dog Advocacy Project working in Education. Feel free to ask me any service dog questions!

I am not paralyzed. I have a genetic connective tissue disorder with neuro complications and a movement disorder.

Comment

Working...
                            X