Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What could fix posture?

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    What could fix posture?

    My posture in my chair is bad. My stomach sticks out and my upper back is pushed over the back (jetstream low.)

    So far I have raised the back higher, but that did not help. The back angle is at 90* (I may have adjusted it to 85*) but I have tried all angles.

    Cushion is a supracor stimulite contoured. I am not sure about the measurments of the chair, but I think it is 15" wide. I also think it is the wrong size. Could this cause bad posture?

    I don't know where to get the measurements from because I did not order it and the chair is 3+ years old. It is a top end terminator titanium.


    #2
    Can you post a picture?
    C5-6 Complete - 8/13/1982

    Comment


      #3
      Not sure about getting a picture, but I might can.

      I took some measurements of the chair.
      width - 15
      seat depth - 15
      front seat height - 18.5
      rear seat height - 17.5
      seat to footrest - 15

      I am about 5'8
      Last edited by Human; 17 Jul 2011, 1:22 PM.

      Comment


        #4
        I had terrible posture for 26 years I was your typical quad wishing I was a para using A. Manual chair without the proper support. For stability I used to wrap my arm around the back of the chair and under the push cane. That twisted my back and not having any stomach muscles or abdominal support my back bowed causing me severe pain.. In the last year I hooked up with a therapist and we've done some custom seat and back rest molding with a company called ride designs it's changed my posture and stability immensely!
        Courage is being scared to death but saddling up anyway. .(John Wayne)

        Comment


          #5
          What is your level of injury?
          You may find that an abdominal binder/sacral lumbar support (this is a garment you wear under your clothing) may help you with the protruding belly, trunk stability, and maintaining an upright posture in the chair. These are available at medical supply stores, some drug store with a good medical devices department or through professional fitter known as an orthotist.

          You may get some help with chair positioning by using some type of lumbar support in the back sling of your wheelchair. This support could be as simple as a small towel, rolled and positioned at your lumbar spine to various supports available at medical supply stores.

          Your cushion may not be giving your pelvis enough stability causing you to "sacral sit" (meaning you are sitting on your lower back not your "sitz bones" or ischial tuberosities). Check the seat depth of your cushion (front to back). Seat depth that is too long can cause slouching. Your hips should be all the way back in the chair and there should be about to 1-2 inches from the back of your knees to the front of the cushion. Also check the height of your footrests. If they are too long, you may be forcing yourself into a slouch. You mention that you have checked and changed the angle of your back rest. Try experimenting with this angle again once you have checked these other measurements and adjusted them in necessary.

          After checking into these ideas, you may need the help of a wheelchair positioning specialist. Check with a rehabilitation center or a physical therapy practice for a referral to a seating clinic.

          All the best,
          GJ

          Comment


            #6
            i'm w/ u on this one human... same posture, arm around the push handle
            C5/C6 Complete since 08/22/09

            Comment


              #7
              Originally posted by Cowboys_Place View Post
              I had terrible posture for 26 years I was your typical quad wishing I was a para using A. Manual chair without the proper support. For stability I used to wrap my arm around the back of the chair and under the push cane. That twisted my back and not having any stomach muscles or abdominal support my back bowed causing me severe pain.. In the last year I hooked up with a therapist and we've done some custom seat and back rest molding with a company called ride designs it's changed my posture and stability immensely!

              I find myself in a situation that you were can you elaborate a little on what you have done
              ?


              Cheers

              Comment


                #8
                I'm c6/7 and posture has always been an issue. I fall forward when sitting up straight so I end up slouching for trunk support and my lower back pays the price.



                Comment


                  #9
                  Originally posted by LooseCannon View Post
                  I'm c6/7 and posture has always been an issue. I fall forward when sitting up straight so I end up slouching for trunk support and my lower back pays the price.
                  Do you wear an abdominal binder, aka sacral/lumbar support garment? If not, you might get a great benefit from it. If you do and don't feel it works well, maybe you haven't found the right one. Trunk support and stability help not only with posture, but breathing, quad belly, and endurance to remain in the chair for longer periods of time.

                  All the best,
                  GJ

                  Comment


                    #10
                    I got that problem. I seem to always be leaning one way or the other. It looks like I am reclining too much. The same one for several several years. Maybe time for a new one.

                    Comment


                      #11
                      Originally posted by gjnl View Post
                      Do you wear an abdominal binder, aka sacral/lumbar support garment? If not, you might get a great benefit from it. If you do and don't feel it works well, maybe you haven't found the right one. Trunk support and stability help not only with posture, but breathing, quad belly, and endurance to remain in the chair for longer periods of time.

                      All the best,
                      GJ
                      GJ,

                      I have an abdominal binder but do not wear it. Last I tried it I was unable to get it tight enough to be effective.



                      Comment


                        #12
                        I put in my old cushion and my posture improved some, but still is not that great. The cushion I use now is too long and my butt does not sit all the way back in it.

                        Guess I could order a new cover for my old one because it is shot. Maybe after adjusting the chair some it will get better.

                        I am c6/7 inc.

                        Comment


                          #13
                          Originally posted by LooseCannon View Post
                          GJ,

                          I have an abdominal binder but do not wear it. Last I tried it I was unable to get it tight enough to be effective.
                          What kind of abdominal binder are you attempting to use. I found that I cannot use the all elastic and velcro models. I can't get them tight enough and they ride up. I have a cotton one with straps and buckles that was fitted by an orthotist. I have been wearing the same type of support for many years and it has served me very well.
                          trulife.com/LiteratureRetrieve.aspx?ID=36779 (page 15)

                          All the best,
                          GJ

                          Comment


                            #14
                            My posture and balance are terrible, and have been for 30 years. Even wearing a corset, and strapped to the chair, I'm twisted and always tip forward. I do, and did, the arm behind the push handle thing (my power chair that I'm always in still has them - I grab it to try to pull my torqued forward right side back.) Seating specialist hasn't helped.
                            Alan

                            Proofread carefully to see if you any words out.

                            Comment


                              #15
                              Try putting a little more Dump in your chair. Lower the rear seat height some. Then you can get a seatback that old you straight up if that's the problem. I tend to lean a little bit to my left and I have a seatback that is adjustable to straighten me out. My chair measurements are 19.5 inches front, 15.5 inches back. It brings my shoulders a little closer to my wheels and I have a little more power that way.



                              That's an older chair but my new one has the same measurements, maybe a little tiny bit less dump then that one
                              C-5/6, 7-9-2000
                              Scottsdale, AZ

                              Make the best out of today because yesterday is gone and tomorrow may never come. Nobody knows that better than those of us that have almost died from spinal cord injury.

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X