TiLite boggles my mind

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• TiLite boggles my mind

First off, I love my TiLite chairs but the way they sell parts is stupid. I ordered my chairs without push handles. All they have is a straight extension that slides up to raise the canvas back. Ok, no big deal. For push handles they use an extension with a curve in it for a push handle and use their rubber grip. These extensions just slide into the back rest tubes. They are about 12-18" long. I thought I might try some push handles to help with holding on in some cases. The single piece of aluminum tubing with a rubber grip is almost $250 each, and I need two! I almost fell out. Its just a small aluminum piece of tubing with a bend in it and a rubber grip. They would not even sell the rubber grip, said it has to sell as a complete unit only. Any part # starting with CP cannot be sold individually. Im just going to make my own.
    Life's perceived journey in this PMR is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting "holy **** what a VR ride!"
    Pete C6/'97

Or buy the folding ones. I'm sure Sportaide or somewhere has them.

I agree with TIlite,Top End and Quickies selling their parts at out rageous prices. When they were smaller companies a lot of the stuff was sent free or at a decent price. Now that the greed and larger corps. have bought in, they lost their souls.

Comment

$500 for push handles? No way. Must be a mistake. I'd give 'em $250 for a pair, well, I wouldn't personally but that sounds about 4x as much as they should be, so I figured that sounds about right for TiLite. But $500?!?!?!??! Something must be wrong...
      "I have great faith in fools; self-confidence my friends call it." - Edgar Allen Poe

"If you only know your side of an issue, you know nothing." -John Stuart Mill, On Liberty

"Even what those with the greatest reputation for knowing it all claim to understand and defend are but opinions..." -Heraclitus, Fragments

Comment

Originally posted by BRASWELLF5 View Post
        Im just going to make my own.
        That's what I'd do, too!
        Chas
        TiLite TR3
        Dual-Axle TR3 with RioMobility DragonFly
        I am a person with mild/moderate hexaparesis (impaired movement in 4 limbs, head, & torso) caused by RRMS w/TM C7&T7 incomplete.

"I know you think you understand what you thought I said, but what I don't think you realize is that what you heard is not what I meant."
        <
        UNKNOWN AUTHOR>

Comment

First off, I love my TiLite chairs but the way they sell parts is stupid. I ordered my chairs without push handles. All they have is a straight extension that slides up to raise the canvas back. Ok, no big deal. For push handles they use an extension with a curve in it for a push handle and use their rubber grip. These extensions just slide into the back rest tubes. They are about 12-18" long. I thought I might try some push handles to help with holding on in some cases. The single piece of aluminum tubing with a rubber grip is almost $250 each, and I need two! I almost fell out. Its just a small aluminum piece of tubing with a bend in it and a rubber grip. They would not even sell the rubber grip, said it has to sell as a complete unit only. Any part # starting with CP cannot be sold individually. Im just going to make my own.
          Do not confuse silence with consent or fatigue for indifference.

Comment

Originally posted by Patrick Madsen View Post
            . . . Now that the greed and larger corps. have bought in, they lost their souls.
            Sad, but true.
            Do not confuse silence with consent or fatigue for indifference.

Comment

Originally posted by DaleB View Post
              Must be a mistake
              Nope, I called back to double check this morning. That what I thought too.
              Life's perceived journey in this PMR is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting "holy **** what a VR ride!"
              Pete C6/'97

Comment

I would get bike handlebar grips, or platform crutch grips and maybe umbrella handles from a stroller and make my own. The mark up is unreal.
                Every day I wake up is a good one

Comment

Im just going to make my own.
                  After I cut off my power chair's non-adjustable push handles, I bought these bar-ends from REI that were low profile and work very well for my needs. Something similar may work for you.

http://www.rei.com/product/738098/ti...icros-bar-ends

Comment

Nope, I called back to double check this morning. That what I thought too.
                    Wow. $500 for push handles. Wow.

And I thought $200 for a 2 minute CF side guard profiling cut was insulting.

Why don't you just roll to their head quarters so they can kick you in the nuts, directly?

Is it the DME gouging? TiLite recently announced lower parts costs, iirc.
                    "I have great faith in fools; self-confidence my friends call it." - Edgar Allen Poe

"If you only know your side of an issue, you know nothing." -John Stuart Mill, On Liberty

"Even what those with the greatest reputation for knowing it all claim to understand and defend are but opinions..." -Heraclitus, Fragments

Comment

Originally posted by DaleB View Post
                      Is it the DME gouging?
                      Its Sportaid's price quotes. I quit dealing with local DME's years ago.
                      Pete C6/'97

Comment

Wheelchair Bolt-on Push Handles

How about these?

Wheelchair Bolt-on Push Handles; (They would work if you have a rigidizer bar?) I guess you don't--- OOPs!

Stock# 9135
                        Retail: $95.00
                        Cost: $76.00 pr

http://www.sportaid.com/quickie-bolt...h-handles.html

Here is what I did;
                        Last edited by Garyis; 07-16-2011, 11:04 PM.
                        Gary Is = L-1 Para for 34 years.....................
                        ~~~~~~~~~~

Comment

Frog leg problem???????

I'm all set to install my new frog leg unitines.........

But How? What is the right way?
                          ~~~~~~~~~~

Comment

Frog leg problem???????

The Tilite stem is in pretty tight and I don't want to mess anything up by trying to remove with vice grips.

'scuse for the duplicate post
                            Last edited by Garyis; 07-16-2011, 08:46 PM. Reason: Duplicate post
                            ~~~~~~~~~~

Comment

Originally posted by Garyis View Post
                              The Tilite stem is in pretty tight and I don't want to mess anything up by trying to remove with vice grips.

'scuse for the duplicate post
                              I had this swap done at my local bike shop and paid close attention to the procedure. First, there's an allen screw on the caster barrel that needs to be loosened. Then the stem bolt is removed by unscrewing it. Yes, it's very tight but it's highly unlikely that you will do any damage. The bike tech applied some grease to the FL caster bolt before installing it. Not sure if that was necessary, but he does this stuff for a living, so he gets the benefit of the doubt (and my inexperience). Haven't had a problem with it since he installed them.
                              stephen@bike-on.com

Comment

Working...
                              X