No announcement yet.

wheelchair backs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I use a Ride Design Corbac cushion with very adjustable upholstery. There's a bunch of straps in the back to adjust how far back you sit in various spots and you can adjust side to side support with these inserts that are included. It's helped a lot with me sitting straight. It's 18 inches tall but I mainly only use 16 inches worth, the last 2 inches keep me from going over too far back where I can't get myself up.
    C-5/6, 7-9-2000
    Scottsdale, AZ

Make the best out of today because yesterday is gone and tomorrow may never come. Nobody knows that better than those of us that have almost died from spinal cord injury.

Comment

Here's my Jay back on my old chair. 14" high from the cushion. My new setup is basically the same, give or take half an inch. BTW, couldn't you just bolt the back onto the post like what I did? It doesn't look as pretty, but gets the job done.

Last edited by lazierdog; 18 Jun 2011, 12:35 PM.

Comment

I just put an ADI active standard on my GPV,so far its not to bad and feels alittle different tho with alittle more adjustment i think i'll be very happy with it.

Comment

Ok had back on for a week or so and it feels great but im having one major problem.It seems the curved back it causing me some serious dysreflexia when i void,the sweat just poors of me for a good 15 mins .

Was never a problem with the standard back and i have noticed the same thing with my elec wheelchair when i went from flat back to curved to straighten my sitting.I guess the "curved" sections are putting extra pressure on my kidneys causing this to happen.

Interested in others thoughts or similar experience?

Comment

Originally posted by rolling01au View Post
            Ok had back on for a week or so and it feels great but im having one major problem.It seems the curved back it causing me some serious dysreflexia when i void,the sweat just poors of me for a good 15 mins .

Was never a problem with the standard back and i have noticed the same thing with my elec wheelchair when i went from flat back to curved to straighten my sitting.I guess the "curved" sections are putting extra pressure on my kidneys causing this to happen.

Interested in others thoughts or similar experience?
            That's interesting! I wonder if the curve is just in the wrong place and puts a bit of extra pressure where your body doesn't like it. If your body doesn't seem to get used to it, could you carve part of the foam away from the backrest, or add on extra foam or something to change it? I'm not familiar w/this backrest, so my input might not be very helpful, but it's a thought!

Comment

I have the jay basic hardshell mounted back. I hate it. It is too soft and my back feels like it is sagging inwards. Its too tall and hits just below my shoulder blades. (The DME also ordered my bottom cushion Jay LITE in the 20x18 size when my chair is a 18x15.)
              Mimi

Comment

help and advice on backs

Hi Tia, I have been recommended the Varilite proform NX cushion and also a back by Varilite, ADI and the Jay 3 cushion but am also considering the Jay3 back.
                I have quadraparesis CP, hydrocephalus and partial sight. Technician coming tomorrow. I have dislocated hips, inturning legs and feet. Scoliosis and cannot sit straight in the chair and tend to fall forward or sideways. I need the high back versions and poss lateral supports as being swing away. Would you recommednd the Varilite backs? have read their range of cushions good for ppl with len length discrepancies, I have a 1cm difference in leglength, not much but exacerbated by posture of hips and legs. Read Jay3 good for spasticity which I have. They are filled with foam and a gel support but also have another type of back with cubes.
                Does Varilite give good back support? i know has firm contours round edge, and softer foam supporting the spine. I have to use my chair all day. Varilite and Jay recommend using back and cushion same brand to get optimum use. What u think of that? don´t know what to think. Varilite products crash tested? all Jay´s are. I´ve seen blue thing on Jay back which is optional and covers gap btween beginning of back and back of cushion, was that what you were talking about? whats the guarantee on Varilite? Have you got a Varilite cushion? i know they have thigh supports molded into the cushion and I need support there but Jay is 9.5 or 10.9cm deep whereas Varilite proform NX is 7.5cm. I know Varilite and Jay have deep contour backs that are 15cm contoured and ADI´S is 10cm.
                What would you advise? please reply as soon as possible. Concerned how the part on the backrest broke, was it due to use? thought they were always strong.
                Please reply as soon as possible,
                Thanks
                Katherine

Comment

Kat81 is there any way you can demo these cushions you mentioned.

I am getting the Adi back 13inch height.
                  A dolla makes me holla, honey boo boo! - borrowed from Honey boo boo child

Comment

Originally posted by t8burst View Post
                    roho jetstream pro, 12 x 16. My previous chair had a 14 inch jetstream, I wen't a little lower and it seems to solve some of the problems I was having stitting in my chair long periods of time. I forget your injury level, my is of course t8.

Hi can I check is your jet stream pro a fixed mounting, quick release or 2-point-pro? I asked as I am unsure what to order. I live in Singapore and we do not have adi dealers here and there is no way of seing the real thing either.
                    What are the benefits of the 3 options stated above? I have a TiLite ZR S2, with the shaky backrest corected from spare parts sent by TiLite this year. Its a supelight edition, and I like it light as I do a lot of car transfers during work.
                    I am a T4-T5 para, completely independent, should I get the medium backrest or the large backrest? Thanks in Advance

Comment

thanks for message

Hi Tia, technician coming round today so will try them. I know our conditions are different, but would you recommend Varilite backs? in terms of posture support, and comfort when using them all day? can you answer any of the questions I asked? this would help. Obviously all websites make products sound good to make you buy them. I´m trying ADI again today, and I know things like this are a personal choice. Asked you about Varilite so can make informed choice. I used the Matrix deep back but not very good. Will see how things go. Hoping to get new powerchair soon, any idea of good funding sources? I posted about that awhile ago on the forum.
                      Katherine

Comment

Working...
                      X