Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Door Bell camera - link to cell phone and automatic door opener -- anyone ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Door Bell camera - link to cell phone and automatic door opener -- anyone ?

At the moment I live in an apartment block.
    One feature that has come in really useful is the street doorbell goes directly to my cell phone. I can be in another city and answer the doorbell and talk to who ever is ringing the doorbell. We also have an onsite apartment manager so if it's a delivery guy I can buzz them in and they can leave the package with the apartment manager. Whether I'm in bed, doing my BP, or in another city I don't have to miss a delivery guy.

I'm moving to a house and am wondering is there any similar product out there.

A doorbell with a camera, that could send a picture to the cell phone and allow you to talk to who ever is ringing the doorbell in real time. With the capability of unlocking the door remotely. The icing on the cake would be if it could be routed through a broad band connection using something like gmail phone.

Anyone have anything like this? seen anything like it?

This is so close....

CES2010: D-Link creates cellular doorbell camera

This is a great gadget. I'd like to have a similar device that I can use to monitor who is at the front door on my mac computer.

All the best,
    GJ

Comment

I lived with a quadriplegic friend in my early twenties (almost 20yrs ago!) who had the exact gadget you're talking about .. only it was hard-lined on a separate phone-like gadget. The internet was just waking up then and cell phones were in bags or big heavy contraptions so maybe that technology evolved, but I know the hard-wired exist .. like a security camera with door-unlocking capabilities. It never failed her.
      Roses are red. Tacos are enjoyable. Don't blame immigrants, because you're unemployable.

T-11 Flaccid Paraplegic due to TM July 1985 @ age 12

Comment

here is one.

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/blogs/...entry_id=54963
        You will find a guide to preserving shoulder function @
        http://www.rstce.pitt.edu/RSTCE_Reso...imb_Injury.pdf

See my personal webpage @
        http://cccforum55.freehostia.com/

Comment

Originally posted by SCIfor55yrs. View Post
          Isn't this the same one "NW-Will" posted in this original post?

All the best,
          GJ

Comment

Originally posted by gjnl View Post
            Isn't this the same one "NW-Will" posted in this original post?

All the best,
            GJ
            oops! lol I would try calling a couple of the security companies like ADT. If anyone would know of them, it should be those companies. Seems like something they would sell.
            You will find a guide to preserving shoulder function @
            http://www.rstce.pitt.edu/RSTCE_Reso...imb_Injury.pdf

See my personal webpage @
            http://cccforum55.freehostia.com/

Comment

Seems like you could combine this D-Link product with the Schlage LINK lock w/cell phone control and you would get just about what you need. Alternatively, there are quite a few hard wire phone lock systems.
              C-6/7 incomplete

Comment

Lockitron is another remote lock. It uses an app on the phone. So, you could just switch from the D-Link viewing to the unlock app and then back.
                C-6/7 incomplete

Comment

Waleli pretty much does everything you want except the video.
                  C-6/7 incomplete

Comment

I think the original poster is looking for something outside his current apartment complex that will give him the same application in another apartment that is not equipped with this technology on his cell phone.

I, on the other hand, am looking for this kind of technology that I can interface with my mac computers.

All the best,
                    GJ

Comment

I'm moving to a regular house.... with a door knocker!

I've been spoilt, but figure there must be some technology out there.

If it can all be done from the computer, it seems like it would be one step away from an app on a phone.

Comment

Maybe I just don't get it, but doesn't the D-Link give you everything you want except remote opening from the phone? So if you install it and the Lockitron or Schlage, you would be good to go. Or, if you you just installed the Waleli, you you would have what you want except video to the phone.

As far as working from an in-house computer, that is so much easier. I'm pretty sure there are quite a few solutions that will do that.
                        C-6/7 incomplete

Comment

Originally posted by Kulea View Post
                          Lockitron is another remote lock. It uses an app on the phone. So, you could just switch from the D-Link viewing to the unlock app and then back.
                          video:

Comment

my brothers house is hard wired with a cameras in every room, pool, driveway, front door, that is switched thru his computer that records every minute, he can pan, swivel, night or day, they see everything, plus has access to any camera thru his iphone any where in the world he has a signal, i just have wireless run thru my tv to see my doors, driveway.....but i, nor he can unlock the door, but i'm sure home automation software and gizmos would do that, HAL 2000 would do everything by voice command as long as all the switches/locks/electric plugs were all changed out....i'm sure they're many more out there, cost is the main factor.....ip cameras would do it, but u still have to get them power, u can get that from an attic box so u dont have to run alot of wire for cameras....door unlocking, i've never used except the remote one i put on, but u had to have line of sight so it wouldnt do me any good, that was years ago, i'm sure theres alot better stuff as the tech has picked up......he did Haslems, he went to Austin P and played professional ball and retired and built a home in Joelton/Nashville about 6 months ago that run off ipads, theres one in every room attached to the wall and when u come in his door, u grab one off the shelf of 25 and u control the lights, doors, blinds, pool cover, heater, hot water, all the cameras in the room, tv's, anything electric that was plugged in or hard wired, now no telling what the whole system cost, my brother just did the ip work and made it all work, he didnt pull any wire......

Comment

Working...
                            X