No announcement yet.

What's everyone drive?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I put hand controls in my one ton dodge ram 3500 contractor truck. It has utility boxes on it. Its what I owned before accident so why not. You can buy a lot of diesel for the price of a small car. I get on the passenger floor, then pull myself up to the seat. Then pull up the folded up chair, and roll it into the floor. You just have to deal with what you have.
    T12L1 Incomplete Still here This is the place to be 58 years old

Comment

2000 Ford Econoline 350 full-size van
      Rick Goldstein
      GO! Mobility Solutions
      facebook.com/goes.anywhere

Comment

Originally posted by SoulScream View Post
        We have a '99 GP too and about the same mileage! Did you have to replace the trans yet? I think it will be the next thing to go. Just replaced the plugs and front V/C gasket. Had to have help reaching that! The 'vette is vastly more accessible to work on.
        Yes I had the $2400.00 experiance of replacing the trany at 90,000. I caused it to go out though. I used to beat the snot out of it and liked making firebirds, camaros, and mustangs look silly. I think the trany is starting to go again but I drasticly change my driving style after the first one and I don't remember if we put a new stall in it when we replaced the trany or flushed the lines so it kind of slips sometimes when I take off from a stop light. My buddies dad did it on the side so labor cost me nothing but he is always in a hurry so I never checked the above items. It will still burn both front tires for 30 ft though. That was the most expensive repair I had since i owned the car. It is the best car I have ever owned.

I just can't see spending $30-40,000 on a new car (cts coupe) so I think I will still try to find another 97-03 grand prix coupe with 60-80,000 miles.

I have also not had any luck with 2wd or 4wd trucks they just don't seem to get low enough for me to fell comfortable getting in and out by my self. i did a 4-6 drop in a 2003 gmc which left the frame 2" from the ground and it was still a little on the high side for me if I ever dropped the chair on the ground I could never get it back up.

i use a rigid chair not one that folds up so it is pain tring to get it in most of the newer coupes and it does not like to fit in most trunks. I tried a new camaro and that was impossible man I wish the car companies would make a more mid to fullsize car that has a higher roof line instead of this chop top crap.

Comment

I use the GP to haul the kiddies around so it is driven very gentle. I checked and it has 205,155 miles! The RR strut coil broke last year. Been good otherwise! This one seems to have a slushy converter too. I have a good quality one in the 'vette and that one doesn't feel like a snowmobile clutch.
          Andrew

Comment

Mercedes CDI 218 184 hp fully automatic sprinter van. Fitted with space drive joystick steering and accelerator/brake. I drive the vehicle whilst sitting in my Permobil Chairman power chair. Even though a van isn't everyone's cup of tea, being able to drive it using my electric wheelchair means that I have a great deal of independence. Sure, I'd love to drive a nice little sports car, but that would be pointless for somebody in my position.
            Tetraplegic & Spinal Injury Site

Comment

'99 BMW E46 323Ci...it's an absolute rocketship, wife finally saw the error in her ways and got rid of her Aussie V6 and bought herself a '01 325i 4 door.

BMW is THE car, a lot cheaper and better looking than an equivalent Benz, a thousand times better than any big family saloon of American or Australian make. I would'nt even consider another make of car over a beemer.

My Next?...An E60 545i (V8). The germans really do make the greatest cars in the world

"die ultimative Fahrmaschine".

p.s. if i become a rich industrialist (highly unlikely) I would consider a Benz C63. You cannot dispute that car's muscle car street cred. not cheap, but jesus they sound like an old nascar. A guy living near us owns one. frightening!
              "The problem with self improvement is knowing when to quit." "Diamond" David Lee Roth.

Comment

Originally posted by RideRed View Post

i use a rigid chair not one that folds up so it is pain tring to get it in most of the newer coupes and it does not like to fit in most trunks. I tried a new camaro and that was impossible man I wish the car companies would make a more mid to fullsize car that has a higher roof line instead of this chop top crap.
                Get another chair, like the Kuschall Champion or Quickie GTX (new version Xenon in Europe)... You can drive just about anything when you are in one of these.... Solid feeling chairs that fold down very compact.... I can put myself and my GTX in my C6 Vette, Ford F150 FX4 Ext Cab truck, my wife's Range Rover and even a SMART car in less than 3 minutes, without using the passenger seat at all....Don't even need to take the wheels off for the SMART car if you can believe it!!.... Definetely worth the trade off using the folding chair instead of non-folding.... BTW, new Camaro back seat flips down and has pass thru to the trunk... Leave the seat down and you can put chair in back without scuffing upholstery.... GTX fits easily in trunk from the back, unlike many non-folders.....Good luck!!

Comment

If you think a 323 is a rocketship that E60 545i is going to blow your mind lol
                  Originally posted by WahWah View Post
                  '99 BMW E46 323Ci...it's an absolute rocketship, wife finally saw the error in her ways and got rid of her Aussie V6 and bought herself a '01 325i 4 door.

BMW is THE car, a lot cheaper and better looking than an equivalent Benz, a thousand times better than any big family saloon of American or Australian make. I would'nt even consider another make of car over a beemer.

My Next?...An E60 545i (V8). The germans really do make the greatest cars in the world

"die ultimative Fahrmaschine".

p.s. if i become a rich industrialist (highly unlikely) I would consider a Benz C63. You cannot dispute that car's muscle car street cred. not cheap, but jesus they sound like an old nascar. A guy living near us owns one. frightening!

Comment

1999 Honda Odyssey

Skogy, you load yourself and your chair in a different manner than I do. I use the easy method because I'm an old dude with wrist problems, have be careful about lifting and puling wheelchairs around.

I have a Honda 1999 van, bought it new and it is still like new! This is a hot van, the pick up surprises people.

I removed the second row of seats and put in a custom made 4" foam pad covered with an industrial black vinyl on the floor, it goes from where the rear seat folds into the compartment, so I can still use the rear seat if the need arises, then up between the drivers and passengers seats.

I slide in the passenger side sliding door using a heavy strap attached to the ceiling then pull the chair in after me. Then it is an easy move up between the seats and into the drivers seat.

Years past I had a Ford 150 van with a lift, this was when when I was a new para. Had to get rid of the lift, uncool, I drove the van for years after, using the slide in the side door method. Then I got a Cameo with those wide doors, a Volkswagen Rabbit convertible came next, then a Chevrolet Astro that I used for 8 years, this was a good van.

Now and forever: My like new Honda Odyssey with 62,000 miles!
                    Gary Is = L-1 Para for 34 years.....................
                    ~~~~~~~~~~

Comment

...a bmw v8 might be a bit scary!

Originally posted by JohnMarz View Post
                      If you think a 323 is a rocketship that E60 545i is going to blow your mind lol

Lol...yeah I've heard that JohnMarz. it's amazing how much BMW can wring out of thier engines to deliver such smooth power, yes my 323 is only a 2.5 Ltr straight 6, but it's amazing.

hmm...maybe I better stick to another 6 cyl
                      "The problem with self improvement is knowing when to quit." "Diamond" David Lee Roth.

Comment

I drive 1996 Ford Thunderbird LX V8 that my dad picked out for me. I could have killed him.

I was driving a Pontiac Sunfire [it died a very painful death on the side of the hwy due to an engine blow up] with a Braun ChairTopper (that was donated by one on his fellow church family members that no longer needed it) to lift my standard E&J w/c. The T-bird was huge to me. They transferred the chairtopper to the t-bird. I love the T-bird now that I have my quickie q7 rigid chair. The wide doors and larger space allow me to transfer alot easier. My dad donated the chairtopper back to a local w/c user in need of one, when I go the Q7.

I drive with standard monarch push/pull hand controls and standard spinner knob but I have my eye on the Menox ones. I really want to try out those.

I wish I had a pic of how odd and funny my cherry red sunfire looked with the white montrousity (sp?) of the chairtopper. It barely fit. I'm gonna see if my parents have a photo.
                        Last edited by novanoin; 5 Jul 2011, 5:18 PM.
                        Mimi

Comment

Before my kiddos came along, I drove a 2005 Cadillac Escalade with the Elaine Anne lift from KVB. Now, I have a 2010 Toyota Sienna with a Braun Rampvan ramp. I joined the "Soccer Mom Minivan Club" and I am darn happy I did!!
                          Candi - C5-7 (5/26/99) - Mom to Carter (10/29/08) and Brooklyn (9/10/10)

http://thebutchinofamily.com

Comment

Think I am gonna drive a 1946 whippley vickers

Comment

New toy. I always get looks pulling into the handicap spot lol

Comment

^^Very Nice!

Comment

Working...
                                X