Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

&^%(*#@$ VaN!

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    &^%(*#@$ VaN!

    I am SO sick of my van having problems. Today the electrical harness that opens the door and which I think makes the whole mechanism of door opening, ramp descending work is hanging with a chunk of broken plastic that ordinarily covers the wires. I have already replaced it once at some god-awful fee, and here we go again. I can't push a manual chair worth a damn, and yet I am so frustrated and getting broke over van repairs I am not sure I can deal with this much longer. If I go back to a car my life is screwed in so many ways, and all ability for freedom goes out the window, but geeze, poverty will do the same thing. Just bitching, I guess. Wishing there was an alternative that didn't cost an arm and a leg....

    #2
    i am so sorry that this is happening to you! hug
    "Smells like death in a bucket of chicken!"
    http://www.elportavoz.com/

    Comment


      #3
      That #*&%$# sucks Eileen. I often wish I had that magic wand for these situations.
      Our expired warranty is now leaving me fearful for something like this happening.

      Comment


        #4
        What van do you have? If you can post a picture, maybe someone here can offer a cheap and permanent fix. I've had a bunch of stuff go wrong on mine. Some stuff I take care of myself, others require assistance from my brother-in-law or friend. I figure it just goes with the territory. Still sucks though.

        Comment


          #5
          Originally posted by Eileen View Post
          I am SO sick of my van having problems. Today the electrical harness that opens the door and which I think makes the whole mechanism of door opening, ramp descending work is hanging with a chunk of broken plastic that ordinarily covers the wires. I have already replaced it once at some god-awful fee, and here we go again. I can't push a manual chair worth a damn, and yet I am so frustrated and getting broke over van repairs I am not sure I can deal with this much longer. If I go back to a car my life is screwed in so many ways, and all ability for freedom goes out the window, but geeze, poverty will do the same thing. Just bitching, I guess. Wishing there was an alternative that didn't cost an arm and a leg....
          Eileen, I'm sorry for your troubles, but I need you to clarify something for me: How is a car even an option when it appears due to your circumstances you can't use one?

          Forgive me for being the one asshole who analyzed your post to death and needs explanation.

          Comment


            #6
            Originally posted by Le Type Fran├žais View Post
            Eileen, I'm sorry for your troubles, but I need you to clarify something for me: How is a car even an option when it appears due to your circumstances you can't use one?

            Forgive me for being the one asshole who analyzed your post to death and needs explanation.
            Hi Todd,
            Not sure what you mean. I am a powerchair using quad with a modified van. IF I got a car I would only be able to drive from point A to point B and then call someone on my cell phone to say "come get me please!" In winter, when it is sometimes impossible to deploy the ramp onto snowbanks (and there is no other choice cause we are talking city street parking only) I sometimes have to call and say "I am parked such and such a place, come help." I keep a manual chair in the van for just such occasions, and whoever I am seeing comes and gets me and then brings me back.

            Comment


              #7
              Originally posted by lazierdog View Post
              What van do you have? If you can post a picture, maybe someone here can offer a cheap and permanent fix. I've had a bunch of stuff go wrong on mine. Some stuff I take care of myself, others require assistance from my brother-in-law or friend. I figure it just goes with the territory. Still sucks though.
              It is a 2002 Dodge Caravan with a Braun Entervan conversion. The part that is screwed up (this time) is the cable that moves the door with the ramp side. It is between the floor of the van and the absolute bottom of the van, but clearly visible when the door is open. It looks a little like a bike chain, except that it is plastic and within is a bunch of electrical wires that send the message to the door to open and deploy the ramp. I will take a pic tomorrow. Thank you.

              Comment


                #8
                Eileen, I have a 2002 Caravan, and have had that part break. The cost at a Dodge dealer was about $130 or so, but you might be able to get one from a junkyard. Replacing it is pretty easy, as you just unplug it at both ends and plug the new part in. It took a few days to get the part from Dodge, and I found that I could open the door manually, and the ramp and lowering function worked with the remote once the door was open.
                Don - Grad Student Emeritus
                T3 ASIA A 27 years post injury

                Comment


                  #9
                  Originally posted by Eileen View Post
                  Hi Todd,
                  Not sure what you mean. I am a powerchair using quad with a modified van. IF I got a car I would only be able to drive from point A to point B and then call someone on my cell phone to say "come get me please!" In winter, when it is sometimes impossible to deploy the ramp onto snowbanks (and there is no other choice cause we are talking city street parking only) I sometimes have to call and say "I am parked such and such a place, come help." I keep a manual chair in the van for just such occasions, and whoever I am seeing comes and gets me and then brings me back.
                  I'm sorry for any confusion, Eileen, I wasn't questioning your veracity or anything, but asking for you to clarify as I don't know how well you use yours arms, can push yourself, etc. I was also confused by the notion of your entertaining getting a car when you followed it with saying it would really not be suitable for you. Therefore, let's try to help you keep the van and dismiss the car idea. I say that like I can help you personally, but I'm with you in spirit and want what's best for you and your needs.

                  Comment


                    #10
                    Donno, Thank you for the info. I will check that out.

                    Todd, I knew you weren't questioning my abilities, and on all fronts it makes no sense for me not to have a modified van, with the exception of the financial one!

                    Comment


                      #11
                      Originally posted by Eileen View Post
                      Todd, I knew you weren't questioning my abilities, and on all fronts it makes no sense for me not to have a modified van, with the exception of the financial one!
                      Understood.

                      Comment


                        #12
                        If this is the same thing they supposedly fixed before, you have reason to complain that it was not fixed right and ask that it be fixed for free.
                        You will find a guide to preserving shoulder function @
                        http://www.rstce.pitt.edu/RSTCE_Reso...imb_Injury.pdf

                        See my personal webpage @
                        http://cccforum55.freehostia.com/

                        Comment


                          #13
                          Originally posted by SCIfor55yrs. View Post
                          If this is the same thing they supposedly fixed before, you have reason to complain that it was not fixed right and ask that it be fixed for free.
                          I am going to try that route, but it was probably four years ago that it broke, so I am not sure I will not just get the now increasing comment "your van is old." It is, but I need it desperately, so it is just going to have to keep chugging along for awhile.

                          Comment


                            #14
                            Not trying to hijack your thread, but my 95 Dodge Caravan seems to need a new head gasket.

                            Comment


                              #15
                              Originally posted by Van Quad View Post
                              Not trying to hijack your thread, but my 95 Dodge Caravan seems to need a new head gasket.
                              Seems like it is always something, doesn't it? Bummer.....

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X