My van is rusting

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My van is rusting

Okay, it's not the world's biggest problem, but it bugs me that my 2005 Dodge Caravan has enough rust in both rear wheel wells that it is bubbling the paint inside on the door frame. I barely have 30,000 miles on the thing. I guess I'll just get out the tape when the holes show. Part of it is the winter weather around here. Are any other makes any better? Theoretical question because I doubt I'll be able to replace this one without some help from the lottery.

Tom

"Blessed are the pessimists, for they hath made backups." Exasperated 20:12

Originally posted by TomRL View Post
    Okay, it's not the world's biggest problem, but it bugs me that my 2005 Dodge Caravan has enough rust in both rear wheel wells that it is bubbling the paint inside on the door frame. I barely have 30,000 miles on the thing. I guess I'll just get out the tape when the holes show. Part of it is the winter weather around here. Are any other makes any better? Theoretical question because I doubt I'll be able to replace this one without some help from the lottery.

Take it to a body shop and have them cut the rust out and weld in new metal then grind and paint it like new. Some good thick undercoating couldn't hurt, I moved to this dry climate and have not seen a rusty car yet. When I lived back in Chicago I had to have my rust fixed every other year it just has to be done back there.
    ^^(A)^^

Comment

That would bug me too Tom.

Comment

Originally posted by darty View Post
        Take it to a body shop and have them cut the rust out and weld in new metal then grind and paint it like new. Some good thick undercoating couldn't hurt, I moved to this dry climate and have not seen a rusty car yet. When I lived back in Chicago I had to have my rust fixed every other year it just has to be done back there.
        I did get a quote for that. They wanted just over $2,100 for both sides and then couldn't guarantee they wouldn't damage the wiring and controls for the ramp, door etc.
        Tom

"Blessed are the pessimists, for they hath made backups." Exasperated 20:12

Comment

Get another quote from someone else and compare. Certainly living in winter climates where the roads are salted is harsh on cars but being an '05 surprises me that it is rusting like that already. Also, if fixed correctly it should hold up well. That said, there are certain models where there are design flaws, for lack of a better description, where certain models are prone to have issues in certain areas.
          C5-6 Complete - 8/13/1982

Comment

I have the same problem. It seems like the conversion process ruined whatever OEM rustproofing was on there. I just ignore it to be honest.

Comment

Hi Tom,
              What conversion package do you have on the 2005 Dodge? I would contact them and complain. May not get you anywhere, but they should know they have an unhappy client. If they won't/can't do anything, they may have suggestions.

All the best,
              GJ

Comment

I did get a quote for that. They wanted just over $2,100 for both sides and then couldn't guarantee they wouldn't damage the wiring and controls for the ramp, door etc.
                I would get a couple more quotes but 2k sounds about right. If you plan to keep the van for an extended period of time you should address the issue sooner than later because rust is like cancer and will continue to spread.

Comment

Chrysler products have a five year rust warranty, as do most of the others including my Toyota minivan. I understand that GM gives 6 years on some vehicles but also there have been a lot of complaints about dealers not delivering. My brother lives in snowy NY state and seems to hold off the rust at least a couple years longer than most by driving them through a car wash every chance he gets during the winter.
                  You will find a guide to preserving shoulder function @
                  http://www.rstce.pitt.edu/RSTCE_Reso...imb_Injury.pdf

See my personal webpage @
                  http://cccforum55.freehostia.com/

Comment

We had a 1995 Ford Contour until 2007 that was never parked in a garage and put up with MN winters without a speck of rust. My husband used it a lot the last few years when he worked out of town as easier on gas than his truck. It also was abused by tow teenagers. It really was a good little car RIP.
                    A kid taking automotive class bought it for his project because it had no rust.

Comment

As a manufacturer, I can tell you that rust is a battle. Your OEM steel is treated and they have learned many techniques to prevent rust. As soon as the vehicle is cut on and new metal is added, rust can find away in.

At GoShichi, we paint and treat everything. We also send our trucks to Ziebart where there treatments are designed to last a lifetime and guaranteed for 7 years and 70,000 miles. I also highly recommend annual paint treatments.

If you follow these directions, your truck will last!

Comment

The problem is when they cut into the factory body and destroy the anti rust coating....they just weld there stuff in cover it with any shit they think is better than factory and you get what you got now.....RUST.
                        My 03 150 van which is white has not been cut and no rust at 46,000 miles.
                        I know my next one will have to be a mini van and I just cringe at the thought.....everyone I see at 5 years old shows a lot of rust around here.

Art
                        Art

Comment

Originally posted by imkitch View Post
                          As a manufacturer, I can tell you that rust is a battle. Your OEM steel is treated and they have learned many techniques to prevent rust. As soon as the vehicle is cut on and new metal is added, rust can find away in.

At GoShichi, we paint and treat everything. We also send our trucks to Ziebart where there treatments are designed to last a lifetime and guaranteed for 7 years and 70,000 miles. I also highly recommend annual paint treatments.

If you follow these directions, your truck will last!
                          Why should we have to put up with your shit jobs when a untouch one does not have the problem.....

DO THE DAM JOB RIGHT IN THE FIRST PLACE.

Which means get the van cut and welded before at the factory were they can dip it right and bake the paint job on.
                          The factory can make a run of these once every year and problem solved.

Then the add on's which do not reguire any body work can be done at that time.

Art
                          Art

Comment

dodge caravans have always had hidden rust problems. the strut tower are known for rusting through as well as other places that aren't noticeable until it becomes expensive to repair. they rust from underneath which makes it hard to notice unless you crawl under there. the strut tower has been an issue they haven't seem to be able to fix after all these years, that why so many have alignment problems, the support area isn't strong enough. hard to believe because there are so many out there. most body shops will tell you to junk them if strut tower rust thru, it costs too much to repair.

Comment

I bought a new 2005 Grand Caravan....kept it in a garage every night...washed it nearly every week...piant looks great, but its starting to rust under the paint in a number of places...pisses me off!!
                              KB

Comment

Working...
                              X