Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Proposed TopEnd Terminator

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    Proposed TopEnd Terminator

    I visited TopEnd two weeks ago to be fitted for a new chair.

    I'm about to pull the trigger on ordering the following wheelchair(See attachment)

    I'm concerned about the overall length. I don't need a 1970 thunderbird.

    If I stick with 18 plus one, should I go to 90 degree angle front? I'm concerned that the plus one is kind of irrelevant on TopEnd chairs. The bend is different from TI.

    The current set up has a 12 inch non adjustable back set at 90°.

    My COG will likely be 4 instead of three.

    Input greatly appreciated.
    Last edited by radio_buddha; 17 May 2011, 10:49 AM. Reason: Clarity

    #2
    I am no wheelchair seating expert, so take what I am saying only as a personal comment, but a 90 degree angle would be very uncomfortable for me all day, and also put more pressure on my thighs.

    Comment


      #3
      This may not be all the info. you need, but I give my experience with my TR. I ordered the +1 and went with an 80 degree front and if I had it to do over again I would have went with an 85 degree front.

      As I think you know, chairs other than TiLite generally extend out farther in the front. A friend of mine has a Crossfire Ti and his chair looks like a +1 from the factory, so if one was to order +1 I would think the protrusion of the legs would be quite prominent.
      C5-6 Complete - 8/13/1982

      Comment


        #4
        RB, How tall are you? Or, more importantly, are you that long-legged? The seat-to-footrest length is 15.5", which would suggest that, proportionately, you wouldn't need an 18" seat depth let alone an 18" + 1" frame. If it's any concern, a chair that long will keep you set back pretty far when pulling under some pedestal-style tables -- the footrest will butt up against the pedestal.

        The longer wheelbase certainly adds greater preventive stability from endos.

        There's only 1.5" dump -- can your trunk balance manage that?

        Both my ZR and Halls chairs have 85 degree front ends. My legs are tucked under me so that my toes don't extend beyond the front edge of the footrest.
        stephen@bike-on.com

        Comment


          #5
          Originally posted by Brianm View Post
          This may not be all the info. you need, but I give my experience with my TR. I ordered the +1 and went with an 80 degree front and if I had it to do over again I would have went with an 85 degree front.
          85 degree makes my feet swell more than it used to. I would love to try an 80 degree to see if the swelling is reduced. The only good thing about 85 degree is that my feet can't fall off the back of the footrest.
          C5-C6 ASIA C - October 15, 1984
          Tilite ZRA Series 2
          The DIGITAL AWAKENING
          Living One Day At A Time
          www.petertan.com/blog/

          Comment


            #6
            Originally posted by petertan View Post
            85 degree makes my feet swell more than it used to. I would love to try an 80 degree to see if the swelling is reduced. The only good thing about 85 degree is that my feet can't fall off the back of the footrest.
            If I didn't have the +1 on my chair I believe 80 degrees is what I would prefer.
            C5-6 Complete - 8/13/1982

            Comment


              #7
              The plus 1" is kind of irrelevant on a TopEnd frame with that seat depth. One idea that Paul Schulte and I discussed at ISS as a standard measure of overall frame length across different models of chairs was to push the chair up against the wall so that the front of the footrest is touching and taking the measurement from the wall to the front of the back post. If you get that measurement on your chair, he may be able to produce the same dimension for you on the CAD drawing.

              Comment


                #8
                Originally posted by SCI_OTR View Post
                One idea that Paul Schulte and I discussed at ISS as a standard measure of overall frame length across different models of chairs was to push the chair up against the wall so that the front of the footrest is touching and taking the measurement from the wall to the front of the back post.
                I think that would be a great measurement, or something like it, for manufacturers to add in their CAD drawings.
                C5-6 Complete - 8/13/1982

                Comment


                  #9
                  Originally posted by SCI_OTR View Post
                  One idea that Paul Schulte and I discussed at ISS as a standard measure of overall frame length across different models of chairs was to push the chair up against the wall so that the front of the footrest is touching and taking the measurement from the wall to the front of the back post. If you get that measurement on your chair, he may be able to produce the same dimension for you on the CAD drawing.
                  Originally posted by Brianm View Post
                  I think that would be a great measurement, or something like it, for manufacturers to add in their CAD drawings.
                  TiLite CAD drawings show that distance hidden among several others; some arithmetic is needed: OverallChairLength - WheelDiameter/2 + COG. The TopEnd CAD above shows the measurement directly.

                  For example (from here),
                  Brianm's is 34.3 -12+1=~23.3 (~ means "about")
                  Mine is 32.2-12+3=~23.2

                  The TopEnd above is ~26.5

                  Those all make sense -- my seat length is 2" shorter then the TopEnd, doesn't have +1, and COG's are the same - thus ~3" different in frame length.
                  Last edited by chasmengr; 17 May 2011, 2:42 PM.
                  Chas
                  TiLite TR3
                  Dual-Axle TR3 with RioMobility DragonFly
                  I am a person with mild/moderate hexaparesis (impaired movement in 4 limbs, head, & torso) caused by RRMS w/TM C7&T7 incomplete.

                  "I know you think you understand what you thought I said, but what I don't think you realize is that what you heard is not what I meant."
                  <
                  UNKNOWN AUTHOR>

                  Comment


                    #10
                    Originally posted by chasmengr View Post
                    TiLite CAD drawings show that distance hidden among several others; some arithmetic is needed: OverallChairLength - WheelDiameter/2 + COG. The TopEnd CAD above shows the measurement directly.

                    For example (from here),
                    Brianm's is 34.3 -12+1=~23.3 (~ means "about")
                    Mine is 32.2-12+3=~23.2

                    The TopEnd above is ~26.5

                    Those all make sense -- my seat length is 2" shorter then the TopEnd, doesn't have +1, and COG's are the same - thus ~3" different in frame length.
                    It would be aproximately 25.5 in the drawing. I might be wrong, but if I understood him correctly, he was thinking the front of the back post.

                    The utility of that measurement would be limited if the end user were basing the measurement using the original CAD for their existing chair. Measurng the chair itself in its present state of configuration would provide the most useful info for comparison against any proposed wheelchair specs that appear in the drawing.

                    Comment


                      #11
                      That is almost my chair exactly... But without the +1 and I did get the ergo-seat option which I will never go without again. The best part of the chair IMHO. I use 80 deg also but have a lot more dump then you are planning. I'm 17" rear, 21.5" front and 18" deep. Any more angle and my knees would hate me. Already after a full day, I need to stretch my legs some; but that's probably for all non-paras in a chair.

                      Here's the thread from my new ride. I LOVE it... /forum/showthread.php?t=144369. And had it now for half a year and not a single problem (other than Spinergy's known squeaky spokes; everything else is tight and top knotch... And I've done 6" curb drops in it; even with my fat backside. Not a single creak or problem. Although I do go over it once a month for basic maintenance.

                      Comment


                        #12
                        Originally posted by SCI_OTR View Post
                        It would be aproximately 25.5 in the drawing. I might be wrong, but if I understood him correctly, he was thinking the front of the back post.

                        The utility of that measurement would be limited if the end user were basing the measurement using the original CAD for their existing chair. Measurng the chair itself in its present state of configuration would provide the most useful info for comparison against any proposed wheelchair specs that appear in the drawing.
                        Very true
                        Chas
                        TiLite TR3
                        Dual-Axle TR3 with RioMobility DragonFly
                        I am a person with mild/moderate hexaparesis (impaired movement in 4 limbs, head, & torso) caused by RRMS w/TM C7&T7 incomplete.

                        "I know you think you understand what you thought I said, but what I don't think you realize is that what you heard is not what I meant."
                        <
                        UNKNOWN AUTHOR>

                        Comment


                          #13
                          SirG,
                          My guess is the creaking you are hearing in your wheels is not the spinergy spokes, but rather the thumb ring from the Natural Fits is not properly secured. I have had this issue with my NF's and when I took them to a bike shop and had the tires off, we could see where one side was looser than the other. The fix was to loosen the nuts on the handrim mounts and zip tie the handrim in several places as tight as possible until all sides are mounted solid. Then tighten nuts. Once all the thumb ring was centered properly and tight on the wheel, the creaking went away.
                          Mandy
                          ~Mandy~
                          SCI as a result of spinal surgery
                          TiLite Aero Z!!!

                          Comment


                            #14
                            Originally posted by CurvySAT05 View Post
                            SirG,
                            My guess is the creaking you are hearing in your wheels is not the spinergy spokes, but rather the thumb ring from the Natural Fits is not properly secured. I have had this issue with my NF's and when I took them to a bike shop and had the tires off, we could see where one side was looser than the other. The fix was to loosen the nuts on the handrim mounts and zip tie the handrim in several places as tight as possible until all sides are mounted solid. Then tighten nuts. Once all the thumb ring was centered properly and tight on the wheel, the creaking went away.
                            Mandy
                            Thanks, but no. I've had them all the way off; they still creak. Ever so slightly. It's barely noticeable honestly. It's just the soft thick spokes in the super-strong SLX version flexing. Probably the most common complaint of the Spinergy wheels. More noticeable with the higher-spoke count of the stronger/wider SLXs I suspect.

                            I've been working with the NF manufacturers about making a finger ring also to help avoid smashing your fingertips on the mounting tabs. We'll see if it grows to any fruition.

                            Comment


                              #15
                              Wow. Thank you, peeps.

                              Responding from oldest to newest…

                              @Eileen: I agree that 90° might be too much.

                              @Brianm: the guy who did the measuring did not have plus one and, from a

                              TI users point of view, it certainly looked like it. Plus one looked

                              like plus four. The reason it came up is because of my complaint of

                              having nowhere to grab when leaning forward. I had your posts in mind

                              during this part of fitting.

                              @stephen212: over 6 feet. You're on my FB list. You can see the

                              pictures. I've got the pimp daddy long legs. Also, I do the counter

                              intuitive "heels higher than toes" method to keep the swelling in check.

                              From the back of my bum to the back of my knee is 19 inches. As to the

                              dump, 1.5 is half an inch more than one I have now. I have a really good

                              trunk. As I put two cracks in my right femur from a night of drinking in

                              January 2010, I gave this considerable thought. 1.5 plus the natural

                              sink of the cushion should be good enough. Gravity will let me know.

                              :-) I like the longer wheelbase, I just do not like my current number, 38

                              inches. Yes, completely off the wall insane. The 1970 thunderbird.

                              @petertan: The angle of the footrest has more to do with circulation.

                              Perhaps you can raise your heels a bit. How bad is the swelling?

                              @SCI OTR: Anything to standardize this. Every other industry has

                              standards. I did complain about that when I was there. It will have

                              zero impact on the industry. :-) I like your idea. I was thinking about

                              your posts on a tighter wheelbase and just extending the footplate to

                              deal with some protection for the toes. I worry that the one make me

                              prone to face plants. A big part of the reason for choosing TE is the

                              physical proximity. Tampa is a 3 hour trip through a part of Florida

                              that may be unaware of significant historical events like the ending of

                              the Civil War. To me, that's a smaller prize to pay than Seattle or

                              wherever Indian burial ground TI built their factory on. If I need to go

                              to version two sooner than expected, I have names and faces to talk to.

                              @chasmengr: 26 7/16 is on the drawing for the overall frame length.

                              @SirGCal: Glad we share similar profile measurements. You have a picture of how your anti-tips connect?

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X