KAFO Questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Bonnette View Post
    Thank you, totoL1, the link works great now and your video was very clear and helpful. You walk quite well and those crutch tips do a wonderful job of bracing you - the wide, flexible pad around the base of the crutch tips really offers protection from slipping, better than any crutch tips I've seen before. It is amazing how well they work to keep a person upright, even when the crutch is several feet away from the body. Much appreciation for the video link and photos!
    I used to walk a lot. Here are the best crutches and crutch tips you can find in the world. (I think I tried maybe 20 different types!) http://fetterman-crutches.com/index.php They are expensive but are shock absorbing and kept my elbows from hurting after a lot of "swinging through" type gait. The crutch tips would stick...even on wet floors. (I never left home without them!)

Good luck.
    Millard
    ''Life's tough... it's even tougher if you're stupid!'' -- John Wayne

Comment

Originally posted by Millard View Post
      Here are the best crutches and crutch tips you can find in the world. (I think I tried maybe 20 different types!) http://fetterman-crutches.com/index.php They are expensive but are shock absorbing and kept my elbows from hurting after a lot of "swinging through" type gait. The crutch tips would stick...even on wet floors. (I never left home without them!)
      Hi Millard! I know those Fettermans are wonderful and well worth the money, from everything I hear. I probably won't have two cents to rub together after the KAFO, I'm assuming my out-of-pocket cost will be almost $1500 (haven't met my deductible this year), since my AFO was half that amount. But I can dream, LOL! And the crutch tips can be purchased separately, which is a blessing.

DaleB, best wishes if you give the KAFOs and walking another try!
      MS with cervical and thoracic cord lesions

Comment

Hello Bonnette,
        I am T12 para and I use KAFOs on both legs everyday more than the chair. I use them with Docker pants for office and loose fit Levys. I never had any problems with pants. My problem is with shoes, but I finally found the right ones.
        For sure the problem will be with skinny type of pants/jeans. Otherwise, yo should not have any issues.

Comment

Thanks foton! I never thought of Dockers, but of course you're right, they have a wide leg - my husband wears them all the time. I'm glad to hear that you've had no problem with the pants issue. I agree, shoes are a challenge. I've been wearing Keens with my AFO and they work great, but they are lace-ups and with my hand weakness I need to find some with velcro closures - the orthotist said we'll discuss that when we know for sure what the KAFO will look like.

Comment

Bonnette,
            Check this website for shoes:
            http://pwminor.com/Default.aspx

Their medical collection allows to remove insert and it will make room for the brace.

I am using these and I love it. They do look like orthopaedic shoes, but I do not think it matters in my case. The most important they are easy to put on and comfortable with braces:
            http://pwminor.com/Products/Detail/?ProductID=132

Comment

Thank you very much for that link, foton! The shoes you use look good to me, they are similar to what most people wear for casual attire nowadays...and there are several pairs of women's shoes that have velcro straps instead of laces; one of them is even my favorite Mary Jane style!

Comment

Bonnette,
                This is link to another firm which make similar shoes including medical ones. Medical and for diabetics shoes have removable inserts and they will accomodate braces. You can contact both firms and ask which ones are good with braces.
                This is the link to SAS firm:
                http://www.sasshoes.com/

I have a pair from them and they are also very good.

Comment

Thanks foton, that is a great help! Years ago, I had a pair of SAS sandals and they were incredibly comfortable - so it's wonderful to hear that they make shoes that will work with braces. Much appreciation to you.

Comment

Kafo Jeans

Hallo

first my standard intro: Sorry for my poor english

I use a KAFO right since 30 years and i weare it under my jeans. I pull on my KAFO with shoe. All my jeans have a long zip at the inside of the leg.

Kaus

Comment

Hi Klaus, your English is just fine! Thank you for this information - the zipper on the inside of your jeans leg is a great idea. I really appreciate it.

Comment

Working...
                      X