Compression Socks

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Compression Socks

I'm looking for a new pair compression socks. I am currently Sigvaris and I like them but they don't last very long, maybe 6 months. I have a pair that I bought 3 years and they still have stretch left in them. Does anyone have pressure socks they've been using for a long time? What brand do you like best and why? Thanks for your help.
    Never Give Up!

I don't remember the brand name of mine, because it's been so long since I bought them. I get them at the ace bandage/splint/icy-hot section of Walgreen's They are black, come up to just below the knee, ribbed and look like dress socks. They have 2 or 3 different firmness levels.
    Don - Grad Student Emeritus
    T3 ASIA A 26 years post injury

Comment

This may be a stupid question, yet have you attempted to lighten the tension of the socks and get rid of them? It was a great day when I finally cut my last pair off.

Comment

Originally posted by fightingtowalkc7 View Post
        This may be a stupid question, yet have you attempted to lighten the tension of the socks and get rid of them? It was a great day when I finally cut my last pair off.
        How can I get rid of them? Days I don't use them, my feet swell. I'd love to be able to be free of pressure socks.
        Never Give Up!

Comment

I get these from Footsmart.com you won't blow a nut trying to get them on and off and they are soft. They may not last 3 years but they work for me. Check out the other stocking too. If you order from this site check out coupon codes and promo codes for a couple bucks off or free shipping.

http://www.footsmart.com/P-FootSmart...cks-61671.aspx

Comment

I use Jobst and get years out of a pair. At first I used Woolite to wash them, but found out that it had some pretroleum based components which ate holes in the socks. Now I just put in a squirt of dish washing detergent and they last much longer.
            Tom

"Blessed are the pessimists, for they hath made backups." Exasperated 20:12

Comment

Originally posted by TomRL View Post
              I use Jobst and get years out of a pair. At first I used Woolite to wash them, but found out that it had some pretroleum based components which ate holes in the socks. Now I just put in a squirt of dish washing detergent and they last much longer.
              Ooh! Good advice. I might try washing all of mine separately. I already hang them to dry.

I use SmartWool compression socks most days, now. They cost about $37, and have lasted me a few months. I have them in both grey-ish color, and black.

Comment

Originally posted by TomRL View Post
                Do you use a particular model or are they all the same?
                Never Give Up!

Comment

Originally posted by TheAbleChef View Post
                  How can I get rid of them? Days I don't use them, my feet swell. I'd love to be able to be free of pressure socks.
                  I cut salt way down and use athletic socks, that got me off of them.
                  Andrew

Comment

Originally posted by SoulScream View Post
                    I cut salt way down and use athletic socks, that got me off of them.
                    How did cutting salt help? Salt retains water?
                    Never Give Up!

Comment

Originally posted by TheAbleChef View Post
                      How did cutting salt help? Salt retains water?
                      Yep, my edema went down with my salt intake. I found over 500 mg in a meal makes a difference to my body.
                      Andrew

Comment

Originally posted by SoulScream View Post
                        Yep, my edema went down with my salt intake. I found over 500 mg in a meal makes a difference to my body.
                        I'll try to cut down on my salt.
                        Never Give Up!

Comment

Hi,

I'd like to help you out with choosing compression socks by giving you a bit of information on what I found when I researched for a pair for my Daddy. He doesn't really suffer from any serious condition and he exercise regularly. Although he is abit of overweight, I do not particularly see anything wrong with him physically except for the mild swelling on his ankle. He has ben complaining of tired and achy legs sometimes, but he associates it to his arthritis. But then the leg swelling doesn't seem be normal.

I read a lot, and I found out that leg swelling can be caused by many factors such as long standing or long sitting, inactivity, vein injury, certain drugs, hormones (women - pregnancy), venous disorders such as deep vein thrombosis, chronic vein insufficiency, hypertension and more.

Primarily I've learned that leg swelling (my main concern) is caused by poor circulation in the lower leg, the blood and fluid don't flow back to the heart -- they way they are suppose to. Then to help prevent and treat this, my daddy should wear compression socks to keep blood flowing in the lower leg normal.

I found these brands and style from www.LegsTherapy.com and I'll tell you in the end of the post which one my Dad and I picked.

Jobst Athletic Sock for Men
                          -high performance sock, durable enough for the most active lifestyles.
                          -Its sporty design looks like a regular athletic sock and is perfect for your active lifestyle whether for walking or playing sports.
                          -lightweight and made out of 38% Nylon 56% Acrylic 6% Rubber blended in a way to keep your feet dry and comfortable.
                          -It is also designed to have an ample room in the heel and toe area for added comfort and an optimal fit.

Sigvaris Comfort Cotton Series

-This is a highly versatile hypo – allergenic compression support line can be worn any time and any day.
                          -made with 100% pure and natural cotton and it is recommended for people with skin allergies or sensitive skin.
                          -design ensures that only cotton touches the skin
                          -high – stretch knit construction in combination with double covered yarns provides durability and great elasticity, making it easier to don and remove
                          - uses Precise Fit Sizing (PFT) system to assure a custom-like fit, superior comfort, and application of accurate compression levels

Mediven Compression Socks
                          -Mediven Compression socks for men is made of the new 100% lanolin skin conditioning bio-textile that is soft, smooth, stylish and durable to guarantee the highest comfort all day.
                          -This ribbed dress socks for men are ideal for those looking for an all-day comfortable sock that is soft, breathable and easy to don

After comparing these brands and their feature, we picked Sigvaris. He was so excited to try the cotton feature of the sock and wanted to know if it does feel good against his skin. He is really happy with it, so far it’s been less than 6 months and the compression and quality is the same. The important thing is the compression gradient remains as this is the foremost reason why we got this support anyways.

Good Luck!
                          Check www.LegsTherapy.com – really easy site to look for support socks you need.

Comment

Thanks Jessie! I've been using Sigvaris for about 3 years now and they're great but I notice the compression wears after 4 months. I like the cotton series but I need my socks to be thin. If only I had the name of the company that made my socks from 4 years ago. Maybe one of the big guys bought them out and killed the company. Thanks again.

Originally posted by jessie85 View Post
                            Hi,

I'd like to help you out with choosing compression socks by giving you a bit of information on what I found when I researched for a pair for my Daddy. He doesn't really suffer from any serious condition and he exercise regularly. Although he is abit of overweight, I do not particularly see anything wrong with him physically except for the mild swelling on his ankle. He has ben complaining of tired and achy legs sometimes, but he associates it to his arthritis. But then the leg swelling doesn't seem be normal.

I read a lot, and I found out that leg swelling can be caused by many factors such as long standing or long sitting, inactivity, vein injury, certain drugs, hormones (women - pregnancy), venous disorders such as deep vein thrombosis, chronic vein insufficiency, hypertension and more.

Primarily I've learned that leg swelling (my main concern) is caused by poor circulation in the lower leg, the blood and fluid don't flow back to the heart -- they way they are suppose to. Then to help prevent and treat this, my daddy should wear compression socks to keep blood flowing in the lower leg normal.

I found these brands and style from www.LegsTherapy.com and I'll tell you in the end of the post which one my Dad and I picked.

Jobst Athletic Sock for Men
                            -high performance sock, durable enough for the most active lifestyles.
                            -Its sporty design looks like a regular athletic sock and is perfect for your active lifestyle whether for walking or playing sports.
                            -lightweight and made out of 38% Nylon 56% Acrylic 6% Rubber blended in a way to keep your feet dry and comfortable.
                            -It is also designed to have an ample room in the heel and toe area for added comfort and an optimal fit.

Sigvaris Comfort Cotton Series

-This is a highly versatile hypo – allergenic compression support line can be worn any time and any day.
                            -made with 100% pure and natural cotton and it is recommended for people with skin allergies or sensitive skin.
                            -design ensures that only cotton touches the skin
                            -high – stretch knit construction in combination with double covered yarns provides durability and great elasticity, making it easier to don and remove
                            - uses Precise Fit Sizing (PFT) system to assure a custom-like fit, superior comfort, and application of accurate compression levels

Mediven Compression Socks
                            -Mediven Compression socks for men is made of the new 100% lanolin skin conditioning bio-textile that is soft, smooth, stylish and durable to guarantee the highest comfort all day.
                            -This ribbed dress socks for men are ideal for those looking for an all-day comfortable sock that is soft, breathable and easy to don

After comparing these brands and their feature, we picked Sigvaris. He was so excited to try the cotton feature of the sock and wanted to know if it does feel good against his skin. He is really happy with it, so far it’s been less than 6 months and the compression and quality is the same. The important thing is the compression gradient remains as this is the foremost reason why we got this support anyways.

Good Luck!
                            Check www.LegsTherapy.com – really easy site to look for support socks you need.
                            Never Give Up!

Comment

I purchased my first compression socks about a month ago after reading an article about them; my lower legs swell quite a lot.

The article I read was dealing with those with SCI and they recommended 15-20 compression socks, and that is what I purchased. We have put these on once and it was extremely difficult and knew they wouldn't go on again, and they haven't. That said, at the end of the day when they were removed my legs looked great.

What ratio do you all use? Maybe there is something easier I could use.
                              C5-6 Complete - 8/13/1982

Comment

Working...
                              X