Showerchair

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Showerchair

I am independent at home other than my bowel and bladder care. REALLY wanting to be fully independent. Is there a shower chair out there that is low enough to where I could propel myself into the shower? My shower is fairly big but not big enough for a bench and my chair to be in the shower at the same time for the transfer. REALLY wanting to be bowel and bladder dependently, Thanks.

zwthomp,

The "... propel myself into the shower ..." could be accomplished with any of the following chairs.

Comment

the second chair look like something that would help. Transferring doesn't look like much of a problem. The way the arm rest are mounted would be perfect for transfers, just like my daily chair. Do they lift and swing away? Who makes that type of chair? The chair doesn't look like it is in the manufacturing today, looks older...or am I wrong?

Comment

I invented this one:

http://www.goesanywhere.com/products...ower-chair.php

portable too
        Rick Goldstein
        GO! Mobility Solutions
        facebook.com/goes.anywhere

Comment

I have one of the #3 photo, and have had really good luck with it. The seat is just about the same height as my bed, and easy to transfer to and from. The VA just bought me a Raz chair. You can have the old one for shipping and packing. It's 2 or 3 years old, but has an almost new seat. PM me if you are interested.
          Don - Grad Student Emeritus
          T3 ASIA A 27 years post injury

Comment

i use a e&j shower chair, had to prop by bed up a little to make a even transfer, but i hop into it right by bed
            We must reject the idea that every time a law's broken, society is guilty rather than the lawbreaker. It is time to restore the American precept that each individual is accountable for his actions.
            Ronald Reagan

Comment

I have the E&J #3 too. It's foldable, I have taken it on several trips that required flying.
              Renee

Comment

I use the Invacare Mariner with the 16" seat/frame and 23" rear wheels. It comes in 18" wide seat/frame as well, and it's foldable and can be used as a commode chair over the toilet. Search the web, you can find it for as low as $450.00 - $500.00.

Comment

i always used the e&j, the 3rd one. the best seat available on a shower chair.
                  i had an invacare cuz thats all medicare would pay for a few years ago. it weighed a ton and the seat was like a rock. i saved my money and bought the e&j myself.
                  Wish I didn't know now what I didn't know then.
                  Bob Seger

Comment

As a suggestion, make sure that whatever you choose has a turning radius that will allow entrance into the bathroom. That was the only reason we had to choose a caster chair that Ryan will never be able to push himself, the hall bathroom-with the door as expanded as possible- does not allow for any other option.

Good luck. If you find one that works, you will gain not only independence but dignity in being able to get naked alone unless you want company, not because you need it.--eak
                    Elizabeth A. Kephart, PHR
                    mom/caregiver to Ryan-age 21
                    Incomplete C-2 with TBI since 3/09

Comment

most shower chairs that are also meant to go over toilets are pretty high - about 23". i eventually found a paediatric self-propelled chair that has a height of 18". it does have a commode pan option, but i only use it as a shower chair.

Comment

I'm looking for a self propelled chair as well. But I can't transfer yet and I have no idea what is best for me. I'm 5'5 107 lbs. I'm not sure about everything to consider when buying
                        Www.rachellefriedman.com

Follow me on Facebook at
                        www.facebook.com/rachelleandchris

Follow me on twitter at
                        www.twitter.com/followrachelle

Www.wheelstrong.com

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by ECUrach85 View Post
                          I'm looking for a self propelled chair as well. But I can't transfer yet and I have no idea what is best for me. I'm 5'5 107 lbs. I'm not sure about everything to consider when buying
                          Right now I'm using an old everyday wheelchair that is too big for me, but it's starting to rust because it wasn't made for water so I'm in the market for something new too.

Things I've found dont work for me so far are:

-the seats with the hole-opening in the front, my legs just fold in and get stuck in the opening

-if the seat back doesn't recline back or if there isn't "dump" in the frame. My balance gets very unstable like this, plus my blood pressure bottoms out.

Those are just some things I've found problematic for me, so If you can I recommend trying some out at a med supply store to see what is most comfortable.

Does anyone have any suggestions for me regarding a chair/bench that helps for quad balance?
                          Courage, it would seem, is nothing less than the power to overcome danger, misfortune, fear, injustice, while continuing to affirm inwardly that life with all its sorrows is good; that everything is meaningful even if in a sense beyond our understanding; and that there is always tomorrow.
                          -Dorothy Thompson

Comment

Originally posted by Ashley View Post
                            Right now I'm using an old everyday wheelchair that is too big for me, but it's starting to rust because it wasn't made for water so I'm in the market for something new too.

Things I've found dont work for me so far are:

-the seats with the hole-opening in the front, my legs just fold in and get stuck in the opening

-if the seat back doesn't recline back or if there isn't "dump" in the frame. My balance gets very unstable like this, plus my blood pressure bottoms out.

Those are just some things I've found problematic for me, so If you can I recommend trying some out at a med supply store to see what is most comfortable.

Does anyone have any suggestions for me regarding a chair/bench that helps for quad balance?
                            Ashley,

Why don't you give me a call or PM me. I think I can solve both of those problems for you.
                            Rick Goldstein
                            GO! Mobility Solutions
                            facebook.com/goes.anywhere

Comment

Originally posted by tvot View Post
                              i always used the e&j, the 3rd one. the best seat available on a shower chair.
                              i had an invacare cuz thats all medicare would pay for a few years ago. it weighed a ton and the seat was like a rock. i saved my money and bought the e&j myself.
                              Yeah, I consider the E&J the Cadillac of shower chairs.

Comment

Working...
                              X