X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

oops... clicked on the wrong button

wild as a river...

Comment

I use bike wheels that have a wheelchair sized hub on it, so i can buy cheapie $10 bike tires.

Comment

well if u use big wheels, then how do you get your handrims on there?

Josh S.

Josh S.
        T6 complete as of 7/17/03

Comment

Originally posted by Stevens:

well if u use big wheels, then how do you get your handrims on there?

Josh S.
          The handrims are designed for the size of wheel. For example, a handrim for 24" wheel will only fit a 24" wheel.

If I didn't answer your question, try to be more specific.

wild as a river...

Comment

Originally posted by LooseCannon:

Look into getting solids and throw those pneumatic tires out the window.
            I've only had one flat and that was because my sister dropped a small nail in the carpet. Keep the pnumatic tires. I had solid core wheels on my first loaner chair, and it was a big difference when I got the pnumatic tires. The solid tires seem to absorb your rolling energy.

_____
            Learn from the mistakes of others, you won't live long enough to make all of them yourself.
            Learn from the mistakes of others. You won't live long enough to make all of them yourself.

Comment

Originally posted by jd87:

I use bike wheels that have a wheelchair sized hub on it, so i can buy cheapie $10 bike tires.
              so how would u put handrims on regular bike wheels with the hub attached? there has to be a way to attach the handrim to the wheel right?

Josh S.

Josh S.

Comment

yeah i have a set with solid tires on them and they are alot heavier. i hate them. im getting primo tires with the big tread for my outdoor activities.

Josh S.

Josh S.

Comment

Originally posted by jimnms:

I've only had one flat and that was because my sister dropped a small nail in the carpet. Keep the pnumatic tires. I had solid core wheels on my first loaner chair, and it was a big difference when I got the pnumatic tires. The solid tires seem to absorb your rolling energy.
                  I agree that a solid tire isn't as rigid as a pneumatic tire that's aired to100psi. A solid tire is more equivalent to riding around with 85 - 90psi in your pneumatic. Considering you won't have to put air inn the tires every 2 weeks and will never have to worry about pushing around on the rim because of a flat I think loosing some firmness is a favorable trade off. I ran pneumatics for 4 years and experienced plenty of flats. I also hated carrying a pump, an extra tube and proper tire changing tools with me on trips.

wild as a river...

Comment

Jeff - I love mine SPOX. Have had them over 2 years and the spokes are as tight as they day I bought them, still like the look and I love how light they are.

RE

Make certain you have the inside rim protectors. I can't recall the name but its a strip of rubber that goes over the rim and covers the spokes (all bike stores will carry them). Also, I'd take only one of Loose Cannon's piece of advice...run your hand over the inside of the rim to make certain you don't have any protrusions, grooves, etc. that are causing the flats. Stay with the pneumatics - the ride on the solids slow you down.

Did you have a hard time getting the tube on the tire like you had to stretch it too much. If so, maybe its a size off and causing extra stress on the tubes. My recommendation would be to just switch brands. I had $150 per tire sew ups on my chair. I loved them and didn't get a flat until after 1-1/2 years and then I rolled over a big piece of glass going to the gym at 5 a.m. I got 2 replacements (at different times) and each popped after less than a week. At $150 a piece that was all it took for me to switch. The new ones were so difficult to get on that I had to go to a bike store and watch this guy who looked like a bull struggle to get them on for over 5 minutes. The distributor reimbursed me for one and said they were the correct size but it was too much of a hassle.

Comment

Originally posted by Stevens:

Originally posted by jd87:
                      so how would u put handrims on regular bike wheels with the hub attached? there has to be a way to attach the handrim to the wheel right?

Josh S.

you drill holes in the wheel and bolt them on. you do HAVE to use a tube. I got the most heavy duty tube the bike shop had. can't remember the cost, but it wasn't much. that was January. since then, zero flats. and i frequent my dads body shop, so you can imagine what i run over. today, i ordered grey tires because there are black marks everywhere in our kitchen, and my hands are always black.

Comment

Originally posted by ResonantEcho:

I need advice here people! [img]/forum/images/smilies/smile.gif[/img]

All these so called blow outs happened while sitting idle. Any suggestions?
                        Ive had that same thing happen, that strip covering the spokes seems to have solved the problem

Comment

Thanks for all the advice.

It turns out the rim tape was EXACTLY the problem. On both wheels right above one of the rim mounts there were holes in the rim tape (rubber). Spinergy acknowledged the problem and said they have had problems with newer wheels using the rubber rim tape. They recommended I purchase some rim tape made by Velox. I have done so and plan to put it on tomorrow. I will let everyone know how things go. Here is the e-mail I received from Spinergy just in case anyone is interested:

Hello Mr. Bass :

Thank you for emailing Spinergy with your questions!

I am sorry to hear that you have experiencing several flats. The first things to check for would be any thorns or sharp objects in the tire itself, or inside the rim. Tubes will continuously puncture if there is a sharp object anywhere close to the tube. If the inside of your tires and rims are clean, I would recommend checking what rim tape is on the rim. Spinergy was using two types of rim tape (until recently) that were not providing sufficient protection. If you take your tire off, and look at the rim strip inside and it's either a black plastic or a black/grayish rubber that could be the problem. Check for any "bubbles" in the tape that represent the tube being "pushed" into the push rim mount hole, or a spoke hole. There is a chance that even at 90-110 psi that the tube will eventually bulge into one of these holes and eventually puncture. Or, sometimes the rim tape can be pushed aside, thus exposing a spoke hole.

If this seems to be the cause, I recommend going to a bike shop and purchasing new rim tape called "Velox" - it is very inexpensive and easily applied. I suggest buying the Velox tape that is tacky on the back. Make sure to cut the rim tape to length so that ends meet when installed on the rim. I think this is possibly even a better option than me sending you the rim tape that we now use. Velox is really good rim tape and used heavily in the cycling industry.

Spinergy has remedied this problem by using a more durable rim tape on wheels being shipped today.

For tire levers, I recommend purchasing metal tire levers (vs. plastic) that are sturdy enough to withstand more leverage. They are not always on display at a bike shop, but if you ask around a shop should be able to sell you (may have to order) good ones from "Park Tools". Always be gentle when using tire levers to reinstall a tire/tube. It is easy to puncture the tube with the tire lever. It can be tedious, but being gentle and patient can save your tube.

I hope this has been helpful. Good luck, and I hope you're enjoying your Spinergy wheels!

Regards,

Ryan Webb

-ResonantEcho - T6/T7 Complete

Visit me at Kev's Korner and sign my Guest Book.
                          Last edited by Jeff Weeks; 26 Aug 2005, 11:07 PM.
                          -ResonantEcho - T6/T7 Complete - October 31st, 1986

Comment

Update:

So far, so good. I was sent the wrong size Velox Rim Tape. It wasn't the correct width (smaller). However, it was wide enough to cover all the spoke and rim mount holes. I have been on the chair for most of the day. However, we'll see what comes of it. It normally took a little over a day before they would pop.

I only put 80 psi in them just to be safe. If all goes well tomorrow I will put the full 100 psi in them.

Until further notice......

-ResonantEcho - T6/T7 Complete

Visit me at Kev's Korner and sign my Guest Book.
                            -ResonantEcho - T6/T7 Complete - October 31st, 1986

Comment

I have the everyday Spinergy wheels with yellow spokes. I've had the Kik Mako solid tires for over 2 years and they offer very little rolling resistance. There are different types of Kik Mako tires. Kik makes a Mako tire specifically for the Spinergy wheels. The model # is 559HS. Make sure you tell them they are for Spinergy wheels. These tires fit 24 and 25" wheels. They are very diffcult to install without the tool made for this tires. The tool sells for $24. You can order the tires straight from Kiktires.

Comment

ResonantEcho,

I had the same thing happen to one of my Spinergy tires. Yesterday, my husband filled up my tires because the pressure was low. Five minutes later, one went flat. I didn't have any spare tubes, and couldn't get the tire off the rim (no tool), so today I took the wheel to work. A friend was going to a cycle shop at lunchtime, and he took my wheel with him. He came back with the tire all fixed. Seems he replaced the tube with a bicycle tube, and it immediately blew when he inflated it. Then, he took the tire completely off and found a hole in the tape over one of the spokes. He put Velox tape on, a second new tube, and now it's perfect. I'm going tomorrow to get some spare tubes ($5) and tire levers. The tire is a bear to get off the rim!

I've had my new chair about two months. Too bad I didn't read your post earlier!

Start where you are. Use what you have. Do what you can.
                                ~ Arthur Ashe
                                Start where you are. Use what you have. Do what you can.
                                ~ Arthur Ashe

Comment

Working...
                                X