Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Power Chairs vs manual chairs for Paras : opinions, experience?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

>>> i feel everyone should push themselves hard, very hard.

Why?

If you are some kind oif keep fit freak then thats fine should you want to do that. Why should I or all the rest of us do that or be interested in pain and lack of mobiility for the sake of it?
    I push myself mentally, and in engineering solutions so I dont have to struggle about as you do.

I dont feel the need to knacker myself trying to get to the end of the street, or across the fields with the dog like most normal people. Or to wear out my hands and arms while cutting the grass, pressure washing the drive (a right royal pain in a manual chair! It keeps rolling away. need to apply brakes on/off 100 times per hour...)

Why struggle?
    Last edited by buegerman; 4 Apr 2011, 4:39 PM.

Comment

what is life w/out giving it everything you have. its not life then, its just existing. just my opinion.
      Bike-on.com rep
      John@bike-on.com
      c4/5 inc funtioning c6. 28 yrs post.
      sponsored handcycle racer

Comment

Originally posted by buegerman View Post
        Honestly I cant recommend one, too many variables. And if I could I would have bought it!
        Unfortunately, that doesn't help me since I have to make a decision for which to get very soon. If I could get another P200, that would be my choice for sure. But, all the others seem to have some issue and I can't decide which is the one that will aggravate me the least. I had an Invacare mwd and then a Storm and hated them so much that they never got used. But, when you can only get a new chair every 5 years, the decision is pretty daunting, especially in Hawaii, where my DME has no chairs of this type to demo. In fact, I just want to physically examine a P222SE just to see what kind of dump and rear seat height is possible, but there aren't any around.
        C-6/7 incomplete

Comment

I would probably look at a new model groove, the chair in the previous post, and many full size (meaning battery/controller/speed NOT physical measurements) rear drive chairs as poss. And buy the one that was the easiest to make short, tought, and that had the biggest amp controller + most rearward C of G position to start with. Which depends on seating choosen etc. For EG the storm (new especially) is a non starter. Its SO nose heavy its unreal.
          This is all very well unless you want/need a seat riser, tilt in space etc. all of which push the weight to the nose. This can be negated to some extent by driving from a slightly tilted back position.

Comment

Originally posted by fuentejps View Post
            what is life w/out giving it everything you have. its not life then, its just existing. just my opinion.
            So does that mean a carpenter should limit himself to hand tools over power tools? Or an AB should never use a car anywhere that they could walk or bike? Does using more efficient tools automatically mean that they aren't living their life to the fullest? Perhaps it's possible that the efficiency one gains from using tools can translate into a MORE active and functional life. I've been in a PC for over 15 years and I think been living a MUCH more active and vibrant life after the switch. BTW-I am 6'1" and 160 lb w/32" waist. I consider myself pretty darn fit for a nearly 50 yo guy who has been retired for 9 years, even though I don't do any "wheelchair sports".
            C-6/7 incomplete

Comment

The above two posts (seat dump, tilt, rise etc) change the chairs so much that you can see what I mean by too many variables!

I woul do without a seat riser just to pack in bigger batteries. That seat riser means smaller batteries...

The Tilt is easy. Fancy seating often does move c of g even further forwards than the safety nazi anti tip rules already made it... Hence looking at chairs that can keep this rearward WITH the options you want. Choices like seat riser would change the chair I bought (probably!)

You can see why I build my own now... I start with what I want, and build! Making it as powerful, compact as I can.

Sorry I cant help more. But this is always the problem.

Comment

I would probably look at a new model groove, the chair in the previous post
                Which chair is this? The Quickie Groove is no longer available. What chair is the new groove?
                C-6/7 incomplete

Comment

Imagine moving your manual chairs wheels back another 4 inches... It will head for the gutter as you push along the edge of a road. Pull one wheel, and push the other to go straight. The further forwards the C of G the worse this gets. in a powerchair this murders batteries and range.

So a recaro seat, seat riser, stupid design (storm?) with forward c of g steers badly, feels like a tank, and eats batteries. And loses control over uneven surfaces as a rear wheel leaves the deck! And they do this for "safety"...

So be careful what you choose and what effects it has on the chair.

Pub time... Gone!!!

Comment

Groove? Certainly is!

Maybe not in America any longer due to your daft insurance system???

But its available in most of the western world. You want the 8.5mph 120 Amp one if you are normal build. 6mph if you are heavy.

http://www.sunrisemedical.co.uk/prod...bmLocale=en_GB

Now really gone!
                    Last edited by buegerman; 4 Apr 2011, 5:03 PM.

Comment

Dimensionally, the Quickie Salsa seems to be a good fit, somewhat short, narrow and low. Any opinions? Any chance that this will be available in the US?
                      C-6/7 incomplete

Comment

Originally posted by Kulea View Post
                        Dimensionally, the Quickie Salsa seems to be a good fit, somewhat short, narrow and low. Any opinions? Any chance that this will be available in the US?
                        if youre interested in going that route, http://epc-wheelchairs.co.uk/categor...se-medical.htm advertises both the f55, salsa and others, and international shipping. there are quite a few online uk venders if you look.
                        amy

Comment

I have to go through insurance, which means a US product.
                          C-6/7 incomplete

Comment

bugger. would your insurance allow you to make a cash purchase for something you give them a prescription for, and then reemburse you for it? mine does, but then im irish...

Comment

No, everything has to be pre-approved upfront. And pretty much most US insurers are following Medicare guidelines on approvals.
                              C-6/7 incomplete

Comment

Kulea, Is Frankie still roaming the Islands? We were there for the Pac Rim games many years ago and everyone knew Frankie.

Sounds like we are both looking for the same setup. I want to continue to be able to transfer into the drivers seat of my van is a big one for me. You've been a big help for me in accepting the new life. Mahalo

Comment

Working...
                                X