Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Solid Backrests

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    Solid Backrests

    Looking for people's opinions and experience on the advantages/disadvantages of a solid backrest.

    What do you like/dislike about them?

    Which kind do you use?

    Ease of transporting, loading into car?

    Thanks.

    Ps. If there is another thread answering this then I apologize for starting another one, I just didn't see anything.
    "What is the first business of one who studies... To part with self conceit. For it is impossible for anyone to begin to learn what he thinks he already knows." -Epictetus (55-135) Greek Philosopher

    #2
    My husband hooked up a bicycle pedometer thing to my chair and it worked pretty good. I was a little too rough with my chair during some camping trips and transfers in and out of the car and it kept falling off. It worked great for a while though.
    DFW TEXAS- T-10 since March 20th, 1994

    Comment


      #3
      Originally posted by offroaderswife View Post
      My husband hooked up a bicycle pedometer thing to my chair and it worked pretty good. I was a little too rough with my chair during some camping trips and transfers in and out of the car and it kept falling off. It worked great for a while though.
      wrong thread?

      Comment


        #4
        I used to have a Matrx PB, it felt great in terms of support but was very heavy and I hated the way it looked. I gave it up when I went to a narrower chair. Now I have my eye on the Jetstream Pro but the narrowest it comes is 14"...I have heard great things though.

        Comment


          #5
          I have a jetstream back and i got it because the tension backs (by straps or the standard ones) would sag, causing my back to hurt and for me to have lousy posture. I feel i have better balance with the hard back and I do not get nearly as many stomach spasms due to poor posture as I did.
          "Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot nothing's going to get better. It's not." - Dr. Seuss

          Comment


            #6
            I have a jetstream back as well. It is light so doesn't affect the transfer weight (for me) and with my injury level I feel a lot more stable than in a fabric style back.

            Comment


              #7
              Originally posted by t8burst View Post
              I have a jetstream back as well. It is light so doesn't affect the transfer weight (for me) and with my injury level I feel a lot more stable than in a fabric style back.
              What type of injury do you have? I use a tension right now and want a change.
              Never Give Up!

              Comment


                #8
                I'm a t12 and greatly prefer the ADI/Jetstream backrests. Word of advice: spec your chair .5-1" deeper than ideal if you plan to add an ADI/Jetstream. They eat up about that much seat depth. If it isn't a new chair, I recommend the adjustable E-clamp mount on the Jetstream. It allows for compensation on the amount of seat depth taken up. Personally, I don't like the new ADI adjustable mounts, and prefer the old style still available on the Jetstream. (i dont see the old adjustable E clamp as an option on the ADI website, bit it may be an option still. I also prefer the shape of the low Jetstream vs the ADI, but the ADI padding is nicer. Fwiw, I make all my own padding, anyway, becUse I'm picky like that!)
                "I have great faith in fools; self-confidence my friends call it." - Edgar Allen Poe

                "If you only know your side of an issue, you know nothing." -John Stuart Mill, On Liberty

                Comment


                  #9
                  i like the adi carbon back but it screwed my transfers up because i would get my quad club stuck between the bar and back while pushing out of the chair. even w/ 4in rigidizer.. supracor has a new adj tens back coming out, ill have one tuesday. ill report back.
                  Bike-on.com rep
                  John@bike-on.com
                  c4/5 inc funtioning c6. 28 yrs post.
                  sponsored handcycle racer

                  Comment


                    #10
                    Originally posted by DaleB View Post
                    . . . .Fwiw, I make all my own padding, anyway, becUse I'm picky like that!)
                    Go on.
                    stephen@bike-on.com

                    Comment


                      #11
                      Originally posted by stephen212 View Post
                      Go on.
                      Pg foam. Draw them a picture! Pick a density, or a couple, and they can make it.

                      There is a P&G Foam nearby in Chesapeake, VA that I use, locally.

                      I use a simple custom cut, slightly better shaped (bigger and thinner on the lateral'wings'), firmer density version of the ADI foam they shipped with their version of the Jetstream shaped low back,before they changed to the wrap around style. Also, I line part of the inner shell with a couple layers of Varilite Cheat Sheets to build out one side for posture correction.
                      "I have great faith in fools; self-confidence my friends call it." - Edgar Allen Poe

                      "If you only know your side of an issue, you know nothing." -John Stuart Mill, On Liberty

                      Comment


                        #12
                        Originally posted by fuentejps View Post
                        i like the adi carbon back but it screwed my transfers up because i would get my quad club stuck between the bar and back while pushing out of the chair. even w/ 4in rigidizer.. supracor has a new adj tens back coming out, ill have one tuesday. ill report back.
                        Ooh, please do. I am very curious about the Supracor Adj. Tension back.

                        Comment


                          #13
                          I have a Jay3 aluminum back. It's very supportive and I much prefer it to the cloth upholstery. It weighs significantly more, though, and is somewhat of a pain to take off and put back on whenever I get in and out of the car.

                          Comment


                            #14
                            I have an Invacare Pro-tech, it's comfortable but boy is it bulky!

                            Comment


                              #15
                              Originally posted by TheAbleChef View Post
                              What type of injury do you have? I use a tension right now and want a change.
                              I am a t8 ASIA A.

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X