Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Xfers board how do you use yours Or How you do xfer without it...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The brakes being in the way is why I got scissor brakes - they are well out of the way of my board.

In my experience, I find it easier to keep my feet on my footplate, never on the floor (the weight of my legs would tend to hold me back). In my old folding chair with removable legrests that stuck right out front, it was dangerous to keep my feet on the footrests during transfers, as it would cause the chair to start tipping forward.

To move my bum forward on my cushion in preparation for transferring, I lean right forward (I mean, like bending double almost) in my chair. I hold each side of the front frame of my chair, then I haul myself forward, whilst moving from side to side.

Comment

Originally posted by coolbreeze View Post
      1.)
      Thanks Guys, But as for as feet being on the floor? is this important ? why?
      2.)
      very important to always keep one hand on slide board. by putting feet on the floor you can use your legs as a "pillar" to help support while pivoting during transfers, plus you wouldn't want to get feet tangled while transferring. for me, i struggled with the slide board and quickly ditched it, it takes practice and eveyone has their own technique, hang in there, you'll figure it out.

Comment

oh, for me i have got to put my feet on the floor.
        Bike-on.com rep
        John@bike-on.com
        c4/5 inc funtioning c6. 28 yrs post.
        sponsored handcycle racer

Comment

LOL, I put one on the footrest and the other on the floor.

Comment

My board is from ADI. The bottom of the board has a rubbery grip coating on it. I put that end on my cushion, in front of the tire and slide across. The grip side always goes under me at the starting side of the transfer. They also make boards with a small notch in them. The notch hooks the tire to prevent the board from moving.

Pledge does work well.

There's also a member on here who has a board with a stud on it. The stud slides into a pipe on his chair. His board can't move when he uses it.

Comment

When I see things like this, I always look into them and try new approaches- But I have no idea how you put that board under your cushion.... maybe getting out of the chair it would work, but getting in to the chair, it would seem to be more difficult and remove the *slide* concept of the board as you would come to a bump/stop at the junction of the cushion and the smooth surface?

Also, don't you guys have velcro under your cushion to keep if from moving around?

Maybe it's the cushion type that is making me not understand this being easier, as with a Jay 2 it seems like you'd slide, then have to hop over the bump and into your chair instead of just slidign all the way into home plate by just putting it under your thigh...?

also- I recently tried the foot on the floor thing too, to see if it made anything easier, and it might be a girl/guy thing- if you have any thigh, it's just going to create drag...

To the opening post, my suggestion is- just keep trying different approaches! I try new shit all the time. My friend Minnie and I used a keyboard once in a pinch, lol- but you learn through reading how other people hit it up, and then seeing what works, or sometimes doesn't, for you.

good luck!

p.s. the pledge remains one of the best tips of all time, btw. and my board came with grippy sandpaper-like tape on the under of one side, which I always put at my *destination*, it definitely helps alot, especially in the car.
              An administrator made me remove my signature.

Comment

Working...
              X