2006 Sienna ramp/door issue

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Rook98006 View Post
    You are like a Ninja! Can you come and fix mine?
    Is your door acting up? Diagnosis is the hard part. The rest is replacing parts, being mindful of newer electronic restraints.
    I was lucky and got Rollx help me diagnose mine on the phone since they consider me as if I had purchased the van from them. Plus they furnish conversion repair manuals for their product.
    I have had periodic paralysis all my life. I lost my ability to walk in 2011 beginning with a spinal block, which was used for a hip fracture caused by periodic paralysis.

Comment

Unfortunately I don't have a place to work on it except the rainy parking lot. The door is jammed. Was lucky to find an AB to slam it shut lol. There are only 3 rollers I think. One or more of the rollers must be locked up. I'm ready to take a pry bar to it. Probably just end up donating it because if I can't maintain it what is the point of having it. Shame it runs well with only 75,000 miles. It could be something simple like one of the interior panels came loose and got stuck where it should not have.

Agree diagnosis is the hard part. How hard would it be to hot wire the ramp motor lol.
      Thxs for the reply
      "Never turn your back on fear. It should always be in front of you, like a thing that might have to be killed." - Hunter Thompson
      T5/6 complete

Comment

Unfortunately I don't have a place to work on it except the rainy parking lot. The door is jammed. Was lucky to find an AB to slam it shut lol. There are only 3 rollers I think. One or more of the rollers must be locked up. I'm ready to take a pry bar to it. Probably just end up donating it because if I can't maintain it what is the point of having it. Shame it runs well with only 75,000 miles. It could be something simple like one of the interior panels came loose and got stuck where it should not have.

Agree diagnosis is the hard part. How hard would it be to hot wire the ramp motor lol.
        Thxs for the reply
        My neighbor loves his 2000 Sienna with 88,000 miles on it. What year is yours? We can look for symptoms and remedies online.
        And the same with your ramp? Is it a fold out? But we need to know enough symptoms for google to do it's thing. Incidentally we noticed my dash lights were not working driving home the other night. Googling, I found out all I had to do was disconnect the battery for two minutes to reset the bugger. Apparently when my brake lights got stuck and ran down the battery, it caused the dash lights to act up.
        I have had periodic paralysis all my life. I lost my ability to walk in 2011 beginning with a spinal block, which was used for a hip fracture caused by periodic paralysis.

Comment

... It could be something simple like one of the interior panels came loose and got stuck where it should not have.

Agree diagnosis is the hard part. How hard would it be to hot wire the ramp motor lol. ...
          Yes a loose interior panel can trigger a stop action. Actually your ramp should already be hot wired with the interior swithes. If it is stopping, it's probably because of sensors. Mine has a problem in that when it is retracted it needs to go a bit further. But to adjust it is hell, so I haven't done it. But sometimes it tilts outward a bit when the slider closes and it hits ramp top and retracts. What I do then is push the ramp back, or if it won't stay back, I open the passenger door and hold it with my hand while the slider closes. The slider then fits snug against the ramp, probably wrong, but the good news is that there are no rattles.

Comment

I should clarify...the problem van is a 2002 Dodge. Realize this thread is about Toyota but the post about the Caravan is what caught my attention. The issue is not so much about stops or sensors. My door is jammed...stuck solid. Use to be able to open/close it manually. Now the door won't move or at least I am not able to open/close it manually. It probably has some wiring issues too but the main problem at the moment is the stuck door. Why it isn't rolling on the rollers. Thxs
            "Never turn your back on fear. It should always be in front of you, like a thing that might have to be killed." - Hunter Thompson
            T5/6 complete

Comment

I should clarify...the problem van is a 2002 Dodge. Realize this thread is about Toyota but the post about the Caravan is what caught my attention. The issue is not so much about stops or sensors. My door is jammed...stuck solid. Use to be able to open/close it manually. Now the door won't move or at least I am not able to open/close it manually. It probably has some wiring issues too but the main problem at the moment is the stuck door. Why it isn't rolling on the rollers. Thxs
              You might want to start a new thread. Are you without transportation? That caravan of yours is probably in better shape than mine with 160,000 miles and I would not let a little thing like this let me part ways with it.

Hah! I know that van, mine is a 2002. Here is a direct quote from Fixya for a door lock actuator stuck in the lock position.
              ====paste===
              I need a bit more info to ptovife tpoyu witht he correct souiltion, but I will try to offer up a generic answer. The lock actuator is nothoing moree than a motor. If it is jammed and not moving at all, it probably is frozen and needs replacing. However, many times I've torn apart doors expecting to replace a bad actuator and have found a linkage rods jammed into door insualtion, or they have became deformed over the years and have worked their way into the inner door panel insulation padding. Without more info (front door, back door, rear hatch door,symptoms, thats all i can offer. https://www.fixya.com/cars/t10475358..._stuck_in_lock
              ====end paste======

Comment

Originally posted by nonoise View Post
                You might want to start a new thread. Are you without transportation? That caravan of yours is probably in better shape than mine with 160,000 miles and I would not let a little thing like this let me part ways with it.
                No I have transportation. That is a good point to check the door linkage!! I think it is a great little van but it is just sitting (over a year) till I can figure something out. I think I'd take 4k for it...lower floor and hand controls. Thxs
                T5/6 complete

Comment

No I have transportation. That is a good point to check the door linkage!! I think it is a great little van but it is just sitting (over a year) till I can figure something out. I think I'd take 4k for it...lower floor and hand controls. Thxs
                  Depending on the rest of the condition, 4k would be a steal.

The linkage is as hard to get to as the rest of the parts inside the door panel. You said the van has sat over a year. I bet in that time the battery has gone dead at least once. These vehicles operate on memory stored in onboard management systems. If the battery gets too low, problems can crop up. I suggest first charging the battery up full. Second disconnect the negative battery cable for a period of time to "reboot" the system. I'm not sure how long it might need to be disconnected if this will work. Try 2-5 minutes first and see if that activates your slider door actuator switch.

Comment

Working...
                  X