No announcement yet.

The Surge Handrim

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I called Ron Bonninger at Three Rivers and he said that The Surge LT adds about 2 oz to a standard handrim whereas the typical plastic coating adds about 10 to 12 oz to a standard handrim. Also, he said that the Gription strip was made of a rubber polymer and that they did not develop it with Mark from Frog Legs.

Comment

Originally posted by JMS View Post
      I called Ron Bonninger at Three Rivers and he said that The Surge LT adds about 2 oz to a standard handrim whereas the typical plastic coating adds about 10 to 12 oz to a standard handrim. Also, he said that the Gription strip was made of a rubber polymer and that they did not develop it with Mark from Frog Legs.
      If it turns out that they nick easily with everyday use, then I would say they should have collaborated with him.

Comment

Regarding the Surge Handrim. Is there anyone that has tried these yet? I have the Natural-Fit and have to get rid of them, I can not get any grip from them and my fingers are too long and get caught by the metal tabs underneath....
        Making soup out of mud

Comment

Oh me tooooooo. I have ripped off many a short fingernail with these things.

Although they are the only rims I have ever used so I don't know any different...

Oli

Comment

Oil- Other than just sitting my hand on them with 3 finngers holding on them, I get all of the push from my thumb on the Primo tires. They are really slippery and do nothing for me. The way my OT and the dealer raved about them, I was convinced I was doing something wrong but I know I am not. Despite the fact that they are like new and were expensive they have to go. Do you have an opinion of the best alternative? Thanks
            Making soup out of mud

Comment

Anyone have an update on these? How they hold up etc?
              -------------------------
              "...the most reliable and useful courage was that which arises from the fair estimation of the encountered peril..." Herman Melville: Moby Dick

Comment

I'm wondering the same thing about durability and also how they are when wet? My metal rims are useless in rain no matter which gloves I wear so I am desperately seeking help... would either the natural-fits or the Surge's aid with grip in wet conditions?

I'm not ready for a motorized ride yet but in foul weather I feel utterly helpless.

Comment

Hi Noah and Jackson, I have over a year of thrashing my surge pushrims and I feel that they not only help me by keeping my hands off the tires, but they stay looking good longer! They totally help in wet conditions because of the grip available due to the rubber on the rim. I've been impressed with them from day one and couldn't imagine not using them.

Pat

ps any snow yet in CB?

Comment

Tires?

What kind of tires are those on the bottom picture? Are they a solid type of tire?

Thanks!

Ti
                    "We must overcome difficulties rather than being overcome by difficulties."

Comment

Originally posted by patd View Post
                      ps any snow yet in CB?
                      from FB, 10/25:

Comment

Originally posted by patd View Post
                        Hi Noah and Jackson, I have over a year of thrashing my surge pushrims and I feel that they not only help me by keeping my hands off the tires, but they stay looking good longer! They totally help in wet conditions because of the grip available due to the rubber on the rim. I've been impressed with them from day one and couldn't imagine not using them.
                        interesting... my q-grips don't stay very grippy when wet.

Comment

Meant to reply earlier but Care Cure has not let me post for several days. Has the site been down or having problems? A couple of other people I know have had the same issue. Anyway....

I was one of the testers and then received my pair as soon as the final version was ready. Sorry, I cannot recall the timeline. Anyway, I live in the pacific northwest (read rain) and have loved the surge handrims. They have worked very very well for me. Previously, I used the vinyl coated one because the plain ones did not give me a good grip (The plain natural fit presented the same problem for me). Also, the vinyl made the rims a little beefier. Of course, I needed gloves in the rain and going down hills (did not use them enough and felt the burn). Btw, always used the more suede gloves instead of a more tacky leather finish.

With the surge, I have found them to hold up great. No problems so far and it has to have been close to a couple of years. I have a few nicks in the metal but the rubber strip has stayed in place and been undamaged. After 15+ years, I finally found the handrim that I always wanted. Rain, sun, snow, etc. I love them. The only "downside" has been that in colder weather, they are colder than the vinyl ones (exposed metal so it make sense) so I do use the same kind of gloves just for warmth. With the gription strip, my callouses have migrated from more of the thumb area to base of the palm. Might just be my push style.

I am a para so no problems with grip.

Comment

Can someone say what is advantage or reason as to why not gripping tire and rim as long as hand is capable to do so? I.e. strong enough and big enough. I ride around all day long on knobby tires with alum rims. I just ordered "a TR3 a few weeks ago and was even considerin no rim. When I use gloves, they ARE SPORT/ATHLETIC gloves. "Wheelchair" gloves are a waste of money.
                            Last edited by rlmtrhmiles; 10 Nov 2012, 7:52 AM. Reason: Typo

Comment

Personally, I just do not like gripping the wheel. Then there is the fact that the wheel is just dirtier and you would always need gloves if you cared about keeping your hands clean. I work in an office so if I wanted to push on the wheels, type, handle papers, etc. I would be taking gloves on and off all day long.

In the end, some of this just comes down to personal preference. There is no "right" or "best" way.

Comment

Originally posted by jackson233 View Post
                                I'm wondering the same thing about durability and also how they are when wet? My metal rims are useless in rain no matter which gloves I wear so I am desperately seeking help... would either the natural-fits or the Surge's aid with grip in wet conditions?

I'm not ready for a motorized ride yet but in foul weather I feel utterly helpless.
                                I use these gloves combined with natural fit handrims - they are very cheap compared to any other gloves I have come accross and they give an excelllent grip in the wet

http://reviews.homebase.co.uk/1494-e...21/reviews.htm

They also last longer because I hardly ever have to grip the tyres.

Comment

Working...
                                X