icon.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by JeffAdams View Post
    Our thinking is that there are elephant graveyards of wheelchair parts at dealers everywhere, so if someone needs a new footrest, and the dealer has one kicking around...ergo sum.

This is true of brakes, anti-tippers, armrests etc. - it seems like a lot of times, stuff has to be ordered just to satisfy either the requirements of a facility or some other "red tape" issue - so if we can recycle some components from other manufacturers in those situations, we don't have any ego about that.

Giving people the option to "swap out" parts from one chair to another is a design task that we've given ourselves for a number of reasons - it's good from a user point of view and an environmental one too.

The component/accessory costs add up fast - re-using brakes, armrests and anti-tippers could be well into the hundreds of dollars of savings.
    in nz there are

Comment

Our thinking is that there are elephant graveyards of wheelchair parts at dealers everywhere, so if someone needs a new footrest, and the dealer has one kicking around...ergo sum.

This is true of brakes, anti-tippers, armrests etc. - it seems like a lot of times, stuff has to be ordered just to satisfy either the requirements of a facility or some other "red tape" issue - so if we can recycle some components from other manufacturers in those situations, we don't have any ego about that.

Giving people the option to "swap out" parts from one chair to another is a design task that we've given ourselves for a number of reasons - it's good from a user point of view and an environmental one too.

If you ordered a chair from another manufacturer 5 years ago with anti-tippers and armrests, and get an Icon when they're ready, we'd like for it to be possible to swap over those components onto the new chair. If you prefer the style or functionality of anyone else's accessory parts, who are we to say any different - we want to put as much choice as we can on the user side of the equation.

The component/accessory costs add up fast - re-using brakes, armrests and anti-tippers could be well into the hundreds of dollars of savings.
      interesting. this mindset isn't heard of in the DME industry, as every component sale has profit tied to it... kudos.

seriously.

although, color me skeptical, but won't it be difficult to design/supply hardware that will seamlessly accomodate accessories from every major manufacturer?

Comment

Originally posted by -scott- View Post
        interesting. this mindset isn't heard of in the DME industry, as every component sale has profit tied to it... kudos.

seriously.

although, color me skeptical, but won't it be difficult to design/supply hardware that will seamlessly accommodate accessories from every major manufacturer?
        Scott, IMO even if they can accommodate only the most common version of some of the major manufacturer, we (the consumer) will be miles ahead. I will bet that most of us that have been in chairs for awhile have parts that we don't need, but hate to toss. I know that I'd be glad to send someone wheelie bars or armrests just for the cost of shipping.

Don
        Don - Grad Student Emeritus
        T3 ASIA A 27 years post injury

Comment

Originally posted by Donno View Post
          Scott, IMO even if they can accommodate only the most common version of some of the major manufacturer, we (the consumer) will be miles ahead. I will bet that most of us that have been in chairs for awhile have parts that we don't need, but hate to toss. I know that I'd be glad to send someone wheelie bars or armrests just for the cost of shipping.

Don
          That's our aim - it would be unrealitic/impossible to match EVERY manufacturer - so we have to pick our battles, but there are some obvious ones - like we're going to match our bearing spacing/axle inserts for Spinergy wheels and one of the major manufacturers, who I won't name here (but rhymes with Hilight).

We have to pick a wheel, and a manufacturer, because all three of the bigger manufacturers have their own axle insert lengths, and the Spinergy spacing is the most common (and is being matched by some of the newer wheels on the market).

I've seen a bunch of offers on this forum from people who are willing to "gift" unused parts/components for the price of shipping, so we hope to be able to facilitate that as best we can.

Comment

Originally posted by Donno View Post
            agreed.

That's our aim - it would be unrealitic/impossible to match EVERY manufacturer - so we have to pick our battles, but there are some obvious ones - like we're going to match our bearing spacing/axle inserts for Spinergy wheels and one of the major manufacturers, who I won't name here (but rhymes with Hilight).

We have to pick a wheel, and a manufacturer, because all three of the bigger manufacturers have their own axle insert lengths, and the Spinergy spacing is the most common (and is being matched by some of the newer wheels on the market).
            makes sense... thanks for clarifying.

Comment

I've seen a bunch of offers on this forum from people who are willing to "gift" unused parts/components for the price of shipping, so we hope to be able to facilitate that as best we can.
              Support for Pat's Free Wheel is another product that I think everyone likes.
              I'm Sam.

Comment

Originally posted by sam10685 View Post
                Support for Pat's Free Wheel is another product that I think everyone likes.
                No doubt about it! I use my Freewheel almost every day. Best accessory, hands down, I've EVER bought. Anything that extends mobility to the mobility impaired, and does so in such a practical, easy to use package gets an A+!!

I wear size 9-10US and I need at least 10.5" footrest to accommodate the Freewheel.
                "I have great faith in fools; self-confidence my friends call it." - Edgar Allen Poe

"If you only know your side of an issue, you know nothing." -John Stuart Mill, On Liberty

Comment

Looking forward to the release of the Icon...from whom will we be purchasing it?

Comment

Originally posted by DaleB View Post
                    No doubt about it! I use my Freewheel almost every day. Best accessory, hands down, I've EVER bought. Anything that extends mobility to the mobility impaired, and does so in such a practical, easy to use package gets an A+!!

I wear size 9-10US and I need at least 10.5" footrest to accommodate the Freewheel.
                    I agree 100%! As soon as the Icon chair is available, I'll be lookin to get one...

Edit; product feature I meant to say in my post at the top of this page.
                    Last edited by sam10685; 3 Jan 2011, 1:23 PM.
                    I'm Sam.

Comment

it's so pretty! *_*

i haven't read through all 9 pages of replies, so forgive me if this has been asked already, but from the looks of the pictures in the first post, there is no bar on the back. would there be an option to have a bar on the back? also, would it be available with handles?
                      Last edited by spasticXfantastic; 4 Jan 2011, 11:17 PM.
                      mitochondrial disease complex 1 deficiency, suspected HSP
                      type 3 ehlers danlos syndrome w/ type 1 overlap, g and j tubes
                      aspergers & friends
                      survivor of 2 TIA strokes

Comment

There will be a pull-bar, as well as push-handles available - our plan is to make the Icon available through the traditional DME vendors, and on-line.

Comment

There will be a pull-bar, as well as push-handles available - our plan is to make the Icon available through the traditional DME vendors, and on-line.
                          factory direct at a discount price?

Comment

Originally posted by jschism View Post
                            factory direct at a discount price?
                            Our previous experience with trying to sell direct was a bad one - mostly because in the inevitable situation where the user needs service on the chair (from fitting/adjusting to new tires to a front wheel size swap, to a change in aftermarket back....etc.), they often were left in the cold by dealers - if the dealer didn't make the sale, they wanted nothing to do with the service end of it.

(Not all dealers - we ran into a lot of dealers who were really great, and very interested in providing service to the users - but there were enough situations where this wasn't the case to give us pause)

We were surprised at that - because we assumed that dealers would see those things as a "fee for service" part of their business, but this wasn't the case.

So, we're hesitant to do any direct sales for this reason, but one major difference this time is that we're going to try to be represented at the online retailers who generally discount to the consumer, so hopefully that gets the user what they need in terms of a discount, without totally neglecting the follow-up and customer service end of things.

Comment

So, we're hesitant to do any direct sales for this reason, but one major difference this time is that we're going to try to be represented at the online retailers who generally discount to the consumer, so hopefully that gets the user what they need in terms of a discount, without totally neglecting the follow-up and customer service end of things.
                              I totally understand, it would also lead to problems of people not properly sizing their own chair and then telling everyone what a piece of crap it is, when truly it was their own fault. I am sure this even happens with online sales too, but at least it you guys wouldn't need to deal with the sales end of that of that mess. I wouldn't hesistate to buy one through sportaid or someone like that, but definitely don't want to deal with any "local" dealers, they are worse than car sales people, they just want to take your money and screw ya

Comment

Hi Jeff,

Any plans to make the chair in small enough sizes for kids? Or is the market not big enough to justify the additional design/manufacturing costs that I assume must exist?

Cheers,
                                Gordon
                                Gordon, father of son who became t6 paraplegic at the age of 4 in 2007 as a result of surgery to remove a spinal tumour.

Comment

Working...
                                X