TiLite ZRa S2 - All things Back Rest Related

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by TexasWheelz View Post
    Just an update from my previous post where my DME had emailed Mark at Ti. The day after that I received an emailed forwarded to me from the DME of Marks response. Emails went something like this:

Me to DME on 14th: You aren’t going to believe this, but about 10 minutes after you left the bolt on the back of this chair that had sheared off before did so again. Exact same one and in the exact same place, was just rolling down the sidewalk from the shop down to the kitchen to get my car and it popped off.

DME to MARK on 15th (forwarded my email)
    Serial number on the chair is XXXXXX TILITE ZR SERIES 2 You had a recall on the back bolts, nuts etc. AND SHIPPED HIM SOME PARTS But now they are stripped out, broken – SEE NOTE BELOW He needs the ENTIRE BACK BRACKETS, BOLTS, NUTS, NYLON SPACERS This should be under warranty If you need to call him #XXXXXXX

16th Mark replied and parts where shipped out.

Sadly due to the holiday I just received them today, was the entire hardware set from the bolts to hold it to the frame to the brackets holding it all together to the part that goes into the bottom of the back rest post. However once again no damn nuts, but instead of just 6 bolts this time it was all the bolts, washers and nylon spacers, which was much better then the last time. Just had to use the same nuts.

I wanted to make sure everything was done right so I pulled up the tech guide and took my time to get it all just right. When I finished I could not get the back to lock in the upright position, but I could folded down. I went ahead and jumped in it and I guess my weight doing some wheelies caused it to lock upright. For the time there is zero play in my back rest, however if I want to fold it I'm going to have to really put some effort into it.

I've tried loosening and tightening different bolts, however it's really only one that goes through the bracket and hardware to hold it all together. If it isn't tightened enough then the two small bolts (one for locking upright, other for locking folded down) that allow the locking mechanism to engage are to far away to allow it to engage and lock the backrest in place. If it is tightened enough for them to engage then it puts the back rest at weird angle and when you lock it it's locked in good and takes lots of effort to unlock. I mean I can pick my chair up by the release bar and it won't unlock it. So at the moment I pretty much have a rigid back rest, which I'm fine with, wife isn't to happy with though when I'm riding with her and it's in the back of her SUV with the back rest up blocking her view.

I only have my camera phone so the pictures aren't great, but you can sorta of see how it starts pulling away and isn't going up and down at a 90 degree angle. Both sides do this and I can't figure out how to fix it, it's like the brackets connecting to the frame either need to go beyond 90 degree's so that they lean in a little or the back post aren't as wide as they need to be by a few mm so it's pulling em apart some when I crank down on the bolt's on each side that run through the hardware/backpost.

For now it's locked in place, not moving or wiggling and no bolts have sheared off (been 30 minutes and I haven't been in it yet) so I'm happy.
    Tex,
    Is the overall bracket still the same structure as the one you took off, i.e. the flat plates etc.
    There is a complete redesign due to be ready in mid January which you need to keep annoying them about to make sure you get one of the first available, I'm told by the European Sales Manager directly that I'm getting #1 (she even sent me a Happy Christmas e-mail!).

Keep us posted.

Comment

My husband just got his new ZR series 2 and everything on his back looks like the new hardware (bolt heads are not flat against the surface). It locks and unlocks fine...so are you saying there is yet another redesign coming out?
      "Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot nothing's going to get better. It's not." - Dr. Seuss

Comment

Yup, bracket changes too, iirc.
        "I have great faith in fools; self-confidence my friends call it." - Edgar Allen Poe

"If you only know your side of an issue, you know nothing." -John Stuart Mill, On Liberty

Comment

Yea this is still the original design+plus the different bolt heads, but not the newly designed updated hardware they are supposed to be coming out with. I'd sheared off two bolts and my back when locked before the bolts were sheared had around 2 inches of play in it.

I'd been visiting with me DME the day it sheared off the replacement bolt the first time, he'd noticed the play in the backrest and I'd informed him of what all had gone on here with other customers, he said so far he hadn't had any other customers with the series 2 contact him with problems yet, but most of the guys that had gotten em through him had rigid backs.

Of course right after he left is when it sheared off a 2nd time.

I'll be happy when this new hardware come out, well happy if it works correctly.
          Most everything I say is

Comment

the new back isnt shipping yet guys.
            Bike-on.com rep
            John@bike-on.com
            c4/5 inc funtioning c6. 28 yrs post.
            sponsored handcycle racer

Comment

Has anyone yet got their updated parts for their chair?

I'm still waiting, which is crazy. Tilite sent the wrong parts to the dme (wrong inner diameter on the new brackets). I guess the titanium and aluminum have different sizes.
              Also since had both end break on the carbon fibre release bar.
              www.KeithLarocque.com

Comment

not yet. my new zr2 has been sitting in our loft. got it in july and maybe ran it 3 weeks total. that back is a big issue.
                Bike-on.com rep
                John@bike-on.com

Comment

the vendors up here won't even order them, good thing TiLite is still making the series1.

glad I never got one..

Comment

Originally posted by tooley View Post
                    the vendors up here won't even order them, good thing TiLite is still making the series1.

glad I never got one..
                    Is it motion specialties that you have in Alberta? Because I've had my share of troubles with motion.
                    www.KeithLarocque.com

Comment

what's the problem retrofitting the ZR1 backrest into future manufactured ZR2?it is surely a design fail, what's the point of using the current one?

i still dont understand...TR,ZR1,ZRA1 and aero Z shares the same backrest hinge, why cant ZR2/ZRA2?
                      walking is OVER-RATED!!!

Broken in August 14th, 2003. T9-L1 complete.

Comment

Originally posted by K-dog View Post
                        Has anyone yet got their updated parts for their chair?

I'm still waiting, which is crazy. Tilite sent the wrong parts to the dme (wrong inner diameter on the new brackets). I guess the titanium and aluminum have different sizes.
                        Also since had both end break on the carbon fibre release bar.
                        hi

So far I received 2 sets of back pivot replacement parts through Sportaid (as i'm an international customer). The first set didn't fix the back issue although it got the back to lock in place but still it had a lot of free movement in upright position.
                        The second set received only 2 weeks ago with parts that look exactly the same, fixed the back issue completely - no slack what so ever. but only time will tell .
                        I have ZRA series 2 with standard release bar .

by the way, with the first set Ti also sent me an apology letter, printed instructions on replacing the back pivot (no tools though!) and a t-shirt.

Comment

Originally posted by tomer View Post
                          ... and a t-shirt.
                          No that was a T-Shirt, its a bandage for your head in case the back fails again

BTW, welcome to the forum.
                          Dots, lines and aeroplanes. my flying adventures.

Comment

Originally posted by nia adha View Post
                            what's the problem retrofitting the ZR1 backrest into future manufactured ZR2?it is surely a design fail, what's the point of using the current one?

i still dont understand...TR,ZR1,ZRA1 and aero Z shares the same backrest hinge, why cant ZR2/ZRA2?
                            When the Series 2 chairs went into production I inquired here about the possibility of retrofitting the new back angle hardware onto my Series 1 ZR. (This was before all the horror stories about the new hardware began to emerge.) SCI_OTR quickly pointed out that that would not be possible because the hole spacing on the frame is different on the Series 2.
                            stephen@bike-on.com

Comment

Originally posted by stephen212 View Post
                              When the Series 2 chairs went into production I inquired here about the possibility of retrofitting the new back angle hardware onto my Series 1 ZR. (This was before all the horror stories about the new hardware began to emerge.) SCI_OTR quickly pointed out that that would not be possible because the hole spacing on the frame is different on the Series 2.
                              but of course they can redesign the hole spacing right?

owh no.they dont need to redesign, just use the existing design....

but then, i'm really glad the problem is solved...

**then why is fuentejps' zr2 sitting in the loft? :|
                              walking is OVER-RATED!!!

Broken in August 14th, 2003. T9-L1 complete.

Comment

the prob isnt solved nia. they are redesigning the entire back mech. the updated hardware fails too.
                                Bike-on.com rep
                                John@bike-on.com

Comment

Working...
                                X