TiLite ZRa S2 - All things Back Rest Related

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I've been waiting over a month and a half to get my replacement parts,

It's been almost since day one since ive had the chair the backrest has been an issue. And now the carbon fibre release bar has broken at one end.
    Very frustrating.
    www.KeithLarocque.com

Comment

I have it directly from TiLite that the new redesigned entire hinge mechanism will be ready mid January and I suggest you make contact via your suppliers and make sure you are going to get one.
      I have agreed a more radical solution with TiLite to address all the troubles I have had (well documented in this thread and elsewhere) but I feel it inappropriate to state what that is in public at this time.
      Suffice to say I am impressed with the course of action they have agreed to take with me and I have a renewed faith in the Company, however the jury is out until I finally work through all this and that will be another 3 months or so.

Get in touch with them and demand the new hinge mechanism, it deals with broken bolts, wobbly backs and loose back release bar parts all in one.

Good luck to you all and I'll reveal what they did for me at a later date.

Comment

Originally posted by Edinburgh Colin View Post
        Suffice to say I am impressed with the course of action they have agreed to take with me and I have a renewed faith in the Company, however the jury is out until I finally work through all this and that will be another 3 months or so.
        Great to hear everything appears to be on the right path!
        Chas
        TiLite TR3
        Dual-Axle TR3 with RioMobility DragonFly
        I am a person with mild/moderate hexaparesis (impaired movement in 4 limbs, head, & torso) caused by RRMS w/TM C7&T7 incomplete.

"I know you think you understand what you thought I said, but what I don't think you realize is that what you heard is not what I meant."
        <
        UNKNOWN AUTHOR>

Comment

I just emailed TiLite regarding this & other matters.
          It is harder for us international customers to experience any customer service than US customers.

Comment

Originally posted by stephen212 View Post
            From my archives. . .

I'd love to do that, why they don't make an option for something like this is beyond me.
            Most everything I say is

Comment

Originally posted by TexasWheelz View Post
              I'd love to do that, why they don't make an option for something like this is beyond me.
              The photo was emailed to me years ago from Mark Westphal, a customer service rep at TiLite. I forget exactly in response to what question he sent it, but it was the first time I saw a CF camber bar on a TiLite. I asked then if I could get one, but was told it was essentially a one-off. I inquired about it again a few years later and was told that there were no plans to go into production with them. Either he didn't know or just wasn't fessin' up. Point being, they did have plans to offer them. Perhaps the same holds true for this fixed-back design. So, while it may not be an option listed on their order form, it should be a request that they can easily accommodate. Looks like a no-brainer to me, but they'll charge you a fortune for it, of that I'm certain. Why? Because they're TiLite.
              stephen@bike-on.com

Comment

Well that name does sound familiar, but just because my DME guy sent me an email this morning of the email he sent this morning to Mark relating to this issue and the email I had sent him yesterday about this damn bolt shearing off again. So he obviously knows who Mark is. At this point I'd just like to have the chair fixed/workin the way it's supposed to be. I went back to my old ZRA, but it's feelin like a tank since it's a inch longer/wider and the front end is 80 degree's. Was bumping into shit all day.
                Most everything I say is

Comment

Do you guys have to go through these DME's you keep mentioning? Can you not contact Tilite direct?

Comment

Tilie doesn't do direct sales or service. Their presence here on CC is as close as it has gotten, which is a step in the right direction. Dealer lock in is a poor business practice, IMO, particularly with experienced chair users who don't need the "value added" support of a dealer...or anyone who doesn't want it because most Dme shops are worthless. They could sell cheaper directly, too. Might have to if insurance starts turning away from titanium reimbursement, God help them if the VA does the same thing.

He who hears not me but the Logos will say: All is one.

Comment

Originally posted by DaleB View Post
                      Tilie doesn't do direct sales or service. Their presence here on CC is as close as it has gotten, which is a step in the right direction. Dealer lock in is a poor business practice, IMO, particularly with experienced chair users who don't need the "value added" support of a dealer...or anyone who doesn't want it because most Dme shops are worthless. They could sell cheaper directly, too. Might have to if insurance starts turning away from titanium reimbursement, God help them if the VA does the same thing.
                      yup...

Comment

Originally posted by DaleB View Post
                        I wonder what percentage of TiLite (or Quickie, Top End, etc.) customers regard themselves as "experienced chair users." Like most of the regulars on this forum, I know lots of real life w/c users. The vast majority of them in my neck of the woods know surprisingly little about the chairs they're using (mostly TiLites) and don't strike me as being particularly curious about them either.
                        Last edited by stephen212; 12-16-2010, 10:28 AM.
                        stephen@bike-on.com

Comment

As far as getting TiLite parts easy and quick, call Sportaid. I can email anyone there, give them my serial number and have the part at my door the next day. It cost me 50 bucks for next day, but I got the part and the chai is fixed. On my old chair I broke some important part, boom next day I had the part.

On my current chair the backrest bolt broke, had a set shipped - next day.

I am sure a few others do it, but if I ever need any replacement parts I just email them. Done deal.

Comment

Originally posted by stephen212 View Post
                            I wonder what percentage of TiLite (or Quickie, Top End, etc.) customers regard themselves as "experienced chair users." Like most of the regulars on this forum, I know lots of real life w/c users. The vast majority of them in my neck of the woods know surprisingly little about the chairs they're using (mostly TiLites) and don't strike me as being particularly curious about them either.
                            Well, as much as I'd like to disagree, (because it seems insane to me otherwise, we only get one first wheelchair!), I do my fair share of wrench turning on local wheelchairs, owned by friends.

He who hears not me but the Logos will say: All is one.

Comment

Just an update from my previous post where my DME had emailed Mark at Ti. The day after that I received an emailed forwarded to me from the DME of Marks response. Emails went something like this:

Me to DME on 14th: You aren’t going to believe this, but about 10 minutes after you left the bolt on the back of this chair that had sheared off before did so again. Exact same one and in the exact same place, was just rolling down the sidewalk from the shop down to the kitchen to get my car and it popped off.

DME to MARK on 15th (forwarded my email)
                              Serial number on the chair is XXXXXX TILITE ZR SERIES 2 You had a recall on the back bolts, nuts etc. AND SHIPPED HIM SOME PARTS But now they are stripped out, broken – SEE NOTE BELOW He needs the ENTIRE BACK BRACKETS, BOLTS, NUTS, NYLON SPACERS This should be under warranty If you need to call him #XXXXXXX

16th Mark replied and parts where shipped out.

Sadly due to the holiday I just received them today, was the entire hardware set from the bolts to hold it to the frame to the brackets holding it all together to the part that goes into the bottom of the back rest post. However once again no damn nuts, but instead of just 6 bolts this time it was all the bolts, washers and nylon spacers, which was much better then the last time. Just had to use the same nuts.

I wanted to make sure everything was done right so I pulled up the tech guide and took my time to get it all just right. When I finished I could not get the back to lock in the upright position, but I could folded down. I went ahead and jumped in it and I guess my weight doing some wheelies caused it to lock upright. For the time there is zero play in my back rest, however if I want to fold it I'm going to have to really put some effort into it.

I've tried loosening and tightening different bolts, however it's really only one that goes through the bracket and hardware to hold it all together. If it isn't tightened enough then the two small bolts (one for locking upright, other for locking folded down) that allow the locking mechanism to engage are to far away to allow it to engage and lock the backrest in place. If it is tightened enough for them to engage then it puts the back rest at weird angle and when you lock it it's locked in good and takes lots of effort to unlock. I mean I can pick my chair up by the release bar and it won't unlock it. So at the moment I pretty much have a rigid back rest, which I'm fine with, wife isn't to happy with though when I'm riding with her and it's in the back of her SUV with the back rest up blocking her view.

I only have my camera phone so the pictures aren't great, but you can sorta of see how it starts pulling away and isn't going up and down at a 90 degree angle. Both sides do this and I can't figure out how to fix it, it's like the brackets connecting to the frame either need to go beyond 90 degree's so that they lean in a little or the back post aren't as wide as they need to be by a few mm so it's pulling em apart some when I crank down on the bolt's on each side that run through the hardware/backpost.

For now it's locked in place, not moving or wiggling and no bolts have sheared off (been 30 minutes and I haven't been in it yet) so I'm happy.
                              Most everything I say is

Comment

Originally posted by TexasWheelz View Post
                                I only have my camera phone so the pictures aren't great
                                I hope it's a nicer phone than it is camera. Glad to hear progress is being made on your chair!

Comment

Working...
                                X