Another tire question - 1" or 1-3/8"?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Another tire question - 1" or 1-3/8"?

Where I am, wheelchair tires are mostly 1-3/8" in hospital grey.

I am wondering the pros and cons between 1" and 1-3/8" tires. The wheel size is 24". The terrains are mostly roads, sidewalks, shopping malls and very rarely gravelly paths (maybe once a year). Whatever the width, I will be buying spare tires and inner tubes together with the ZRA S2 that I am about to order.

One more thing, can 1" and 1-3/8" tires use the same rim?

Suggestions and advice are appreciated. Thanks.
    C5-C6 ASIA C - October 15, 1984
    Tilite ZRA Series 2
    The DIGITAL AWAKENING
    Living One Day At A Time
    www.petertan.com/blog/

I have always used the 1-3/8" tires up until my new chair, where I now have the 24"x1" Schwable Marathon Plus tires and these high pressure tires make a huge difference in rolling resistance, I can't imagine going back.
    C5-6 Complete - 8/13/1982

Comment

1 3/8 only go up to 65lbs. pressure. The Scwalbe Right Runs go up to 145 I think. I had the Marathon Plus but found them too heavy and clunky compared to the Right Runs. Sounds like you would benefit by a smooth, lightweight, high pressure tire.

Like Brian says, once you try a 1", you'll never go back.

Comment

Thanks, Brian and Patrick. Will to stock up on spares when I get the chair. Very difficult, if not impossible, to get 1" tires here.
        C5-C6 ASIA C - October 15, 1984
        Tilite ZRA Series 2
        The DIGITAL AWAKENING
        Living One Day At A Time
        www.petertan.com/blog/

Comment

tire pressure

I have extra sets of grey tires and rims.
          I have all ways run 90 to 115 psi.

I have had 1 blow out, in 43 years.
          wayne.

Comment

i used kenda...i thought kenda was 1 cheap shitty tire, but i guess i'm wrong.it's very lightweight, and easy to clean to...serve the needs well.

at first i wass planning to use schwalbe marathon plus, since thats the only tire i've been using since the 1st time i used tilite.the kenda is included with the sun fusion, and buying it directly means no tire options, so i'm stucked with the kenda.

next time i would explore my option, but i'm thinking about right runs.but kenda is worth the money.

as for the size, i dont see if i ever needed the 1 3/8 in malaysia.
            walking is OVER-RATED!!!

Broken in August 14th, 2003. T9-L1 complete.

Comment

Originally posted by nia adha View Post
              i used kenda...i thought kenda was 1 cheap shitty tire, but i guess i'm wrong.it's very lightweight, and easy to clean to...serve the needs well.

at first i wass planning to use schwalbe marathon plus, since thats the only tire i've been using since the 1st time i used tilite.the kenda is included with the sun fusion, and buying it directly means no tire options, so i'm stucked with the kenda.

next time i would explore my option, but i'm thinking about right runs.but kenda is worth the money.

as for the size, i dont see if i ever needed the 1 3/8 in malaysia.
              I've had trouble explaining right runs to both TI and Top End. It's almost as if they believe there are only 10 possible tire models for wheelchairs.

They are a few mm shorter than your standard 32 mm tire and with a TR or a terminator, I think the issue is important enough to bring out.

Buying a box frame wheelchair means you are getting married to your wheels, tires and casters. You want the chair squared up to the best, most available combination.

I personally think that's right run tires and 1.5 inch casters.

For the record, TI and Top End are open to the right run idea so long as I send the wheels. Luckily, that's not a problem. I always keep a backup set.

Comment

Originally posted by radio_buddha View Post
                ...I've had trouble explaining right runs to both TI and Top End. It's almost as if they believe there are only 10 possible tire models for wheelchairs.

They are a few mm shorter than your standard 32 mm tire and with a TR or a terminator, I think the issue is important enough to bring out.

Buying a box frame wheelchair means you are getting married to your wheels, tires and casters. You want the chair squared up to the best, most available combination...
                This is a level of anality heretofore unfamiliar to me. It's nice to have something left to aspire to.
                stephen@bike-on.com

Comment

Originally posted by Brianm View Post
                  I have always used the 1-3/8" tires up until my new chair, where I now have the 24"x1" Schwable Marathon Plus tires and these high pressure tires make a huge difference in rolling resistance, I can't imagine going back.
                  Thumbs up.

24x1 is much better.

Comment

x5, 24x1 speedrun/rightruns
                    Bike-on.com rep
                    John@bike-on.com
                    c4/5 inc funtioning c6. 28 yrs post.
                    sponsored handcycle racer

Comment

Originally posted by stephen212 View Post
                      This is a level of anality heretofore unfamiliar to me. It's nice to have something left to aspire to.
                      I've already been down the road of taking it easy and assuming professionalism.

Keep it a cold distance on matters of what should be considered a prosthetic and assume nothing about how much the other side knows or cares.

If that makes me anal, it was a learned behavior from previous wheelchair purchases. I'm out of pocket. I don't have uncle sham or insurance to bail me out of trouble.

If it was another ZRA, no problem. Wouldn't even talk to them about it. But we're talking about a TR and the Icon isn't available yet.

Comment

Originally posted by radio_buddha View Post
                        I've had trouble explaining right runs to both TI and Top End. It's almost as if they believe there are only 10 possible tire models for wheelchairs.

Buying a box frame wheelchair means you are getting married to your wheels, tires and casters. You want the chair squared up to the best, most available combination.

I personally think that's right run tires and 1.5 inch casters.

For the record, TI and Top End are open to the right run idea so long as I send the wheels. Luckily, that's not a problem. I always keep a backup set.
                        i think i'll give right run a try...they got good feedback from the user.previously i was using push to lock brakes on my marathon and find out they force the air out of the tire.a thin tire like right run or kenda would be useless since when the air is getting out, there's less friction between the brake and the tire.sometimes it's completely useless.now that i have hub lock, the pressure stays.

too bad 25" right run only available in grey.but since schwalbe said their black and grey material is better compounded than the colored material, i dont really care...i wish they would have it in black.

and since the tread looks like the court type tire, how long would it lasts?
                        walking is OVER-RATED!!!

Broken in August 14th, 2003. T9-L1 complete.

Comment

Originally posted by nia adha View Post
                          i think i'll give right run a try...they got good feedback from the user.previously i was using push to lock brakes on my marathon and find out they force the air out of the tire.a thin tire like right run or kenda would be useless since when the air is getting out, there's less friction between the brake and the tire.sometimes it's completely useless.now that i have hub lock, the pressure stays.

too bad 25" right run only available in grey.but since schwalbe said their black and grey material is better compounded than the colored material, i dont really care...i wish they would have it in black.

and since the tread looks like the court type tire, how long would it lasts?
                          Tread is the subject we don't discuss much around here.

If you look closely at asphalt or sidewalks, you'll find tiny grooves. You get a better grip with a "court type" tread for most surfaces than you do with the more knobby types. Tread increases rolling resistance. You are also more likely to skid on a stop. Not an insane skid like solid tires but a skid nonetheless. Light tread stops the wheel better. It seems counterintuitive at first but it's not.

If you're on the boondocks a lot, you'll want tread a little thicker than everyday gray but not much more. For all the other urban cowboys, a light tread is best.

I like the right runs because they have the same approximate size of the 24 by 1 3/8 with a more appropriate tread.

Comment

I haven't had the chance yet to try any Schwalbes other than the Marathon Evolution Plus, but came into a free pair of Kenda Kontender Iron Caps. So far so good.
                            stephen@bike-on.com

Comment

i dont know anything about the zra, never even seen one, but i thought you could only adjust rear height in increments of a half inch. i dont see how that would make up a difference of a few millimeters. are you talking about squaring the casters to fit a new angle? if youre that worried about angles, surely the changes to dump would be both noticeable and worrisome. just curious - i barely notice any actual seat height difference between my right runs and my marathon plus - accordig to you rr are shorter than standard, and according to sci-otr, mp are taller.......

Comment

Working...
                              X