Power assist wheels

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Power assist wheels

Anyone currently using them and if so what manufacturer?
    How heavy are they?
    Are they worth the added cost?
    ANy pro or cons you would like to add?

My seating clinic is on Wednesday. I can't do a manual and don't want a power. I am considering power assist and looking for feed back from folks that currently use them or have used them in the last 2 yrs.

Thank you
    Every day I wake up is a good one

Hey Cheescake, been wondering about you, hope all is well.

Robbie has E-Motion wheels and never uses them. They are very heavy (I think 20-25 lbs ea) and he seems to struggle with them to the point where he doesnt think its worth it. They are not helpful at all if you are on an incline.

Comment

what type chair is he using? Would you consider selling the wheels?

Comment

I think if they are programmed to suit you they would be alright. I think they could be great for someone with really weak arms/hands.

My biggest problem was how sensitive they were when I demo'ed them. I tend to grab my wheels/rims a lot and lean side to side. It was hard because I was used to pushing a manual so long. Trying to stop or slow down the chair would jerk backwards. Grabbing my rim to lean to the side the chair would start to circle that way. I also was demo'ing them on a different chair than my own so was uncomf and unsteady. Trying to go up my van ramp I just wheelied backwards. I couldn't pop over doorways and cracks because how I normally grab my tires to do that caused me to just go wheel backwards etc. To me they were more work/hassle being careful and trying to lightly stroke them than pushing my manual.

Demo a pair first. See if they will work with your function and how you move daily. Also with what environments you are usually in.
        Aerodynamically, the bumble bee shouldn't be able to fly, but the bumble bee doesn't know that, so it goes on flying anyways--Mary Kay Ash

Comment

Thanks Novi. What chair do you use? I had been considering a TiLite but there are so many complaints here on the boards, I am not sure which direction I am going in.

I have heard that the batter pack can be in the wheels or on the chair itself. What option did you use?

Comment

we are not ready to seel but there are emotion wheels for sale on the forum

Comment

Emotion Power assist M15 for sale

Hey guys! I just wanted to post that I'm selling a set of Emotion M15 wheels on eBay.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...ht_1361wt_1141

they're basically new with no bad track record. I'm selling because I just don't need them anymore.

Comment

I only heard good things about emotions m15, thats what i am going with.
                C5/C6 Complete since 08/22/09

Comment

Cheesecake,
                  While there have been many complaints about TiLite recently, I don't really pay much attention to them b/c my experience with TiLite has been outstanding. If you go back and look at all the hundreds, if not thousands of other posts re: TiLite, it is MOSTLY good reviews. Every company is going to have some mistakes that need to be corrected, and I don't think that it is a coincidence that the "complaints" occurred after the release of a brand new design. When the design of anything changes there is going to be an adjustment period in both the user and the manufacturing process. They can't demo enough to get every kink out of the system, and after a product launch things will change based on user feedback and real world use. The issue with Stephen212's CF camber tube is also b/c it is a relatively new product that is not ordered in mass quantity. Now that they have sold enough to get user feedback and real world use, they are addressing some issues that have been brought up, including Stephen212's separating camber plug, and pinning the camber plug in so that it can not separate from the glue not adhering properly to the CF.
                  If you are hesitant to order a ZR2/ZRa2, order a TR (the design has been out longer and has not had any recent complaints b/c of design changes).
                  No matter what company you order from, there will be good and bad reviews. If you only focus on the bad you will not be able to order any chair from any company.
                  Any time I have a question or concern about my TiLite, I give them a call and they have been very good at answering questions and giving me advice. I was just on the phone with them last week, and we are working to get my issue resolved as quickly as possible (I have a floating caster that is not responding to the usual fixes).
                  Do your research and go with what you feel is best for YOU. TiLite may be a great choice b/c they produce some of the lightest chairs on the market. With decreased upper extremity strength and the need for power assist wheels, losing weight anywhere possible will be a good thing.
                  ~Mandy~
                  SCI as a result of spinal surgery
                  TiLite Aero Z!!!

Comment

I use a Kuschall Airlite Pro, but demoed them on a Tilite ZRA.
                    The battery packs in the Emotions are in the center of the wheel. I think Quickie has some type of power assist device that has a battery pack elsewhere. There are also entire wcs that are power assist. They are called a TailWind if they are still being made I believe.

FYI the Emotions set up run several thousand dollars and the batteries run a grand or more.

If you plan on always using power assist wheels or whatever it makes no sense to spend a ton of money on a super ultralight wc. You pay a lot for a minimal say 20 lb wc then slap on 50 lbs worth of wheels on it???
                    Aerodynamically, the bumble bee shouldn't be able to fly, but the bumble bee doesn't know that, so it goes on flying anyways--Mary Kay Ash

Comment

Originally posted by cheesecake View Post
                      Anyone currently using them and if so what manufacturer?
                      How heavy are they?
                      Are they worth the added cost?
                      ANy pro or cons you would like to add?
                      I have the Alber E-Motion M15 wheels and couldn't imagine being without them. I previously had the M12's, research this site and you will quickly find that they were very unreliable. So far I have no complaints with the durability of the M15's but I have only had them a few months. They are a substantial improvement and greatly enhance my independence.

They are heavy, 20-25lbs was accurately mentioned above. I wouldn't have applied for them if I had to transfer them in and out of a vehicle. Mine stay in permanently so it's not an issue.

They are fantastic technology and I am addicted to power assist wheels, in saying that they are well overpriced. In Australia they cost $12,000 which is obscene considering our dollar has reached parity with the US. Typical of importers in this country and ripping the public off. Fortunately for me I did not have to pay for them as they were funded by the government. They are just over $6000 in the US brand-new and I think I probably would pay that amount.

One has to be honest and say that the remote control is nothing short of a stupid idea. These controls should have been on the wheels without the need to carry this remote control to change it from high to low speed, vise versa and to enact the antirollback feature. Fortunately they are easy to program and I very rarely need to operate mine on high-speed as I have made low speed higher than normal.

I also wish they had an automatic braking facility when going downhill, this is the only thing that limits me as I don't have the physical strength to resist the push rims going downhill.

They are not helpful at all if you are on an incline.
                      The statement couldn't be further from the truth, after all this is exactly what they were designed to do, tackle inclines.

Hey guys! I just wanted to post that I'm selling a set of Emotion M15 wheels on eBay.
                      Not sure I would be paying $5750 for a second hand pair when you can buy them new from the following two sites for just over 6000.

http://www.southwestmedical.com/prod...els-27183.html

http://www.allegromedical.com/wheelc...s-p559968.html

Comment

Takenaback:
                        Thank you for the answers. They are helpful. What type chair do you use them on?

Novi~ I will need to be removing the wheels for a vehicle--is it easy or hard to do? I can't drive right now so I will generally have assistance.

I do travel for work frequently, so my goal is to have the PA for those times. The PT and doctor are pushing me to go powerchair because my arms are pretty shot especially my shoulders.

Powerchair will not work for my house or my vehicle and I am not in a position to buy a new vehicle or move.

CurvySat~ The sudden flood of complaints is what concerns me. Issues of non-standard parts is also a concern.

Anyone have trouble getting the powerassist paid for? I have 100% DME--no cap, no deductible but my insurance is a bear to deal with.

Thanks

Comment

What type chair do you use them on?
                          My wheelchair is locally made by a para which is absolutely great for me as he modified my chair to be more capable of the stresses and strains that having power assist wheels creates. You need to make sure that the chair can handle the extra stress, I have heard that Tilite and others make a reinforced certified chair for E-Motion wheels, don't quote me on that.

I will need to be removing the wheels for a vehicle--is it easy or hard to do? I can't drive right now so I will generally have assistance.
                          I won't pretend that it would be easy, it all depends on your level and how shot your shoulders are. It's much easier than it used to be on the M12s and certainly a piece of cake if you have assistance at each end. The same method is used to take the wheel of as you would now by pushing the button at the end of the axle while you pull, just a lot heavier.

I would certainly recommend a trial first.

They are even cheaper from this site.

http://www.ideamobility.com/Products...0/Default.aspx

Comment

Originally posted by takenaback View Post
                            My wheelchair is locally made by a para which is absolutely great for me as he modified my chair to be more capable of the stresses and strains that having power assist wheels creates. You need to make sure that the chair can handle the extra stress, I have heard that Tilite and others make a reinforced certified chair for E-Motion wheels, don't quote me on that.

http://www.ideamobility.com/Products...0/Default.aspx
                            Unless there are a number of paras in Oz making custom chairs, I have seen this guys work--Dogger had a chair by him and it was quite nice.

Thanks for the feedback

Comment

There are a number of paras who make chairs in Australia but mine was made by David McNaught at Infinite Rehab Solutions.

http://www.infiniterehab.com.au/

Comment

Working...
                              X