Carbon fiber solid seat pan by strips.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by totoL1 View Post
    Of course nobody or almost nobody is going to do what i did, i was speaking with Oracing the other days and they are interisting in this seat, but of course they can`t give it like and option until they are ensure that it`s safe, so that`s my job, be the test driver
    Here in the US, toto, we use the term "crash test dummy".

Comment

Originally posted by SCI_OTR View Post
      Here in the US, toto, we use the term "crash test dummy".
      Of course i`m not the test driver of nobody, i was only joking, but anyway for be a crash test dummy the most important thing you need is a crash, no any at the moment .

Take sure that this is the best seat as posible that any of us could have in our chair: is light, cool, shock absorber and free maintenance, so if some day someone decide to buy a sheet of CF and make his own CF seat by strips, looking at this post could know how to do it and could be sure that never will have a problem with it and could go download curbs without any fear of breakage because in equipament forum could see with his or her own eyes one of this seats take it to the extreme without any problem, and probably nobody is going to do a leap like this in their life, so if is safe for me is safe for everyone of you, unlees you start jumping with it from top of rocks like Jeff Adams .
      Of course if i do a jump like this is because i`m sure that i could do it with a very little percentage of problems, but ยกdon`t try to do this at home!

There are factors that influence in the desing of the seat and the thickness of the CF like user weight, seat width and deep.

Comment

toto,
        I like your seat. you are very ingenious. If I didn't have a chair w/a CF seat & a shock already I'd TOTALLY be asking you for a set of strips! My next chair(or if I lose so much weight that I can fit into my "skinny" chair again) I may be calling on you for your seat strips. You have an amazing design, even with the abuse flaw. Hey, I'm abusive on my chairs too, I've cracked CF components as well... so I totally understand the abuse it takes to do so...it takes A LOT...but if you're that rough/active/abusive, you know ahead of time any damage as such is under your own volition & not of anyone else's.
        'Chelle
        L-1 inc 11/24/03

"My Give-a-Damn's Busted"......

Comment

Originally posted by Broknwing View Post
          toto,
          I like your seat. you are very ingenious. If I didn't have a chair w/a CF seat & a shock already I'd TOTALLY be asking you for a set of strips! My next chair(or if I lose so much weight that I can fit into my "skinny" chair again) I may be calling on you for your seat strips. You have an amazing design, even with the abuse flaw. Hey, I'm abusive on my chairs too, I've cracked CF components as well... so I totally understand the abuse it takes to do so...it takes A LOT...but if you're that rough/active/abusive, you know ahead of time any damage as such is under your own volition & not of anyone else's.
          Thanks, i will post a video of my next abuse to the seat once arrive the CF panel that i ordered for make a new strip.

Comment

How do you come out with this idea ?
            Life is meaningles, though you create the purpose.sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by sowseng View Post
              How do you come out with this idea ?
              Because i didn`t like my seat uphostery tension by strips, and i thought for a solution.

The idea comes sleeping

Comment

Bob Hall made me a solid aluminum pan for my Hallmark. I suggested that he cut out weight-reduction holes -- "swiss cheese" it -- but he didn't feel like it .

I've had the thought of routing out channels in my CF pan, essentially venting it, but I lack the equipment (as well as the skill) and gave up on the idea.

I met a guy from Spain recently at the NYC Marathon (not toto) who also has a solid carbon fiber seat pan and, like toto, his is velcro'd onto the seat frame. I'm hoping that he'll send me photos of his chair that I can post here.
                stephen@bike-on.com

Comment

Great work toto. Very cool
                  Bike-on.com rep
                  John@bike-on.com
                  c4/5 inc funtioning c6. 28 yrs post.
                  sponsored handcycle racer

Comment

Amazing! I want to try the same thing with my chair.
                    You said the front and rear strip were thicker.
                    What thickness did you use for each strip?
                    Never Give Up!

Comment

Originally posted by TheAbleChef View Post
                      Amazing! I want to try the same thing with my chair.
                      You said the front and rear strip were thicker.
                      What thickness did you use for each strip?
                      I used the same thickness in all my strips, what i changed was the size of them, but anyway what could work for me maybe dosen`t work for you.

Different deep frames, different dumps, different width frames, different user weight, the use you give to your chair, quality of the CF that you buy, etc. influence in how you have to do it.

My thickness is 4.5mm

Comment

Well, yesterday I had the first problem with my seat, of course was my fault, because I give an extreme use to the seat and of course to the chair, i think Oracing is not going to send me more chairs .

I reinforced with a bit CF that i have left over.
                        I`m going to do an order of a CF sheet and i will do a new strip, this time around an inch deeper for give more strength in that area.

Well guys i did the order of the CF panel in 5th Nov, to Composite Envisions
                        I have to say that this guys are very irresponsible, they didn`t sent me nothing, but i paid the CF with Pay Pal, and i did a complain to Pay Pal so they send to this guys an email telling that if they don`t send the CF before 3th Dic the money will go back to me.
                        Finally the CF arrive today, but i ordered a .170" thickness panel and arrive a .135"

The idea was make the front part all in one piece and draw the strips in the panel with a router, but i can`t do it because this panel is weaker than the strips that i had before and i`ve got more flex now than with the strips, so now i will have to reinforce the panel or continue with the strips with one broken because i`m not going to spend more money in CF in a while.

Don`t buy there nothing.

Comment

I used the same thickness in all my strips, what i changed was the size of them, but anyway what could work for me maybe dosen`t work for you.

Different deep frames, different dumps, different width frames, different user weight, the use you give to your chair, quality of the CF that you buy, etc. influence in how you have to do it.

My thickness is 4.5mm
                          Thank you very much. I hope this works for me.
                          Never Give Up!

Comment

Well guys i did the order of the CF panel in 5th Nov, to Composite Envisions
                            I have to say that this guys are very irresponsible, they didn`t sent me nothing, but i paid the CF with Pay Pal, and i did a complain to Pay Pal so they send to this guys an email telling that if they don`t send the CF before 3th Dic the money will go back to me.
                            Finally the CF arrive today, but i ordered a .170" thickness panel and arrive a .135"

The idea was make the front part all in one piece and draw the strips in the panel with a router, but i can`t do it because this panel is weaker than the strips that i had before and i`ve got more flex now than with the strips, so now i will have to reinforce the panel or continue with the strips with one broken because i`m not going to spend more money in CF in a while.

Don`t buy there nothing.

After all this, Composite Envisions sent me an email telling me that they was very sorry, and they don`t understand what could be happened for sent the panel very late and with the wrong thickness, so they told me that don`t worry because they was going to send me another panel with the correct thickness and absolutily free with not any shipping cost either, and the panel arrived last week.

So after this i only can say, thanks Cory.

Well today i did the new seat by strips, but this time all in one piece, well really in two, because i`ve got one piece for the ergo part and the new one with three strips for the front part, and i decided to do a video showing "HOW IS MADE" produced by toto
                            So you can start trying make yours.
                            I have yet to cut the velcro for give the same shaped, but i couldn`t find my cutter for do it, so i will do it other day.

Very important: take a shower after
                            Last edited by totoL1; 12 Jan 2011, 2:11 PM.

Comment

That's so pretty, it's a shame you have to use a cushion on top of it!

Comment

or an ass
                                Most everything I say is

Comment

Working...
                                X