TiLite quality control: I really have my doubts

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by DaleB View Post
    I'm sure you'll get a new part, aren't their parts covered by a warranty? A side effect of taking risks and striving for better designs is, well, it's more risky. I'd rather see an issue or two get worked through on new designs and new CF options than have companies inspired by fear of taking risks sit on designing new alternatives and new materials for us.

I'm hard headed, that's for sure. If I were TiLite I'd let you stew for demanding wet butt kisses and calling me a fool for not manning up. And for not giving me a call first to see how cool I'd be about helping you. But that's my hard head talking.
    From this consumer's experience, a troubling pattern is emerging (sorry if I'm repeating myself). I didn't go shouting from the rooftop when they bungled the specs on previous orders, in fact I didn't utter a whisper. But when it comes to defective parts that can result in injury (which you noted could be "catastrophic"), well then I have no issue airing it in the public square. Because this isn't just about me and my chair. This is a heads up for anyone who wishes to take notice.

At the risk of sounding over-literal, failing to notice the at the end of your sentence, and otherwise not locating my usually at-the-ready sense of humor, I didn't call anyone a fool. I responded to a previous post that it would be foolish not to respond. It would be.

And don't get me started about the number of dropped emails to TiLite customer support over the years.
    stephen@bike-on.com

Comment

Let it break under him first. Then we'll all need counseling, new chairs for life and some hush money. (no offense Stephen, you can take one for the team, eh? For the greater good?).

In all seriousness, I hope it's a fluke, and that you don't get hurt, of course!

Sorry, I'm going to decline the offer to take one for the team. I'm strenuously trying to hold the line at T4 paraplegia.
      stephen@bike-on.com

Comment

Oh, I think you have every right to air a grievance in public, sorry for poking at you. Yes, I was being cheeky in reaction to your panties in a wadness, it's a bad habit. Probably a nervous tick.

Carrying along that vein...

...technically, can you separate a fool from his foolishness? Every moment your butt is not wetly kissed you are asserting TiLite is acting foolish, ergo deserving of the label "fool".

I personally have taken notice, over the recent past, and scratched TiLite off my shopping list, for the time being. There are better options, newer players, hungrier and more driven, IMO. I'm a sucker for the underdog and I think TiLite has won the past decade, is at or near the top, and perhaps a bit complacent?
        "I have great faith in fools; self-confidence my friends call it." - Edgar Allen Poe

"If you only know your side of an issue, you know nothing." -John Stuart Mill, On Liberty

Comment

...technically, can you separate a fool from his foolishness? Every moment your butt is not wetly kissed you are asserting TiLite is acting foolish, ergo deserving of the label "fool".
          TiLite doesn't kiss anyone's ass, so I'm hardly holding my breath or pulling down my pants. You'd think--or at least hope--that after screwing up an order you'd be on the "rush list" for a replacement, but in reality you just start over again at the end of the queue.

I have no problems cutting people and companies slack. But a loose camber plug . . . Man! There are some things you just don't have permission to screw up.
          stephen@bike-on.com

Comment

Well, you should get the next tube off the production line, IMO, and I hoep that you do. But that would prolly throw a monkey wrench into their process, leave a chair without, cause some manual work for someone somewhere. One of the draw backs at becoming more 'efficient' at manufacturing is often becoming less efficient at reacting. A sign of being more focused on 'the business' than the customers.

Another great example is the CF side guard profiling. Doesn't cost the consumer any extra for Top End to do the same thing, but TiLite charges $200? So, they strive to be more efficient at making chairs, get automated and it leads to imposing obscene up-charges for silly, simple requests that are part of fitting a chair to someone's needs. The 'interruption' of custom shaping the side guards is a result of poor process engineering. I understand the desire to 'want' every side guard to be the same size, but as has been previously noted by TiLite, EVERY chair has a unique spec in this regard. If this is true, wtf only offer 2 sizes, if not to save money? What's the goal, the best chairs, or the most profit?!? The best chairs, with side guards, have CF side guards profiled to spec and don't cost any more than a retail TiLite. Thank Dog for options.
            Last edited by Oddity; 2 Oct 2010, 7:17 PM.
            "I have great faith in fools; self-confidence my friends call it." - Edgar Allen Poe

"If you only know your side of an issue, you know nothing." -John Stuart Mill, On Liberty

Comment

I hope this isn't a sign that they are on the rush to the bottom to hang out with Sunrise & Invacare in the crap chair department.

Comment

Well, you should get the next tube off the production line, IMO, and I hoep that you do.
                This wasn't some fancy pants custom shop order. TiLite doesn't have a separate off-site custom shop like Gibson Guitars. Whether it's done as part of an original purchase or ordered aftermarket, the production process is identical and done by the same workmen using the same materials. Cut carbon fiber tubing, glue in a camber plug.

It's their responsibility to make certain that the materials and workmanship used to fabricate a critical component can withstand at least 2 months gentle, driving-to-church-on-Sunday use. I don't think that's asking too much.
                stephen@bike-on.com

Comment

Originally posted by stephen212 View Post
                  Sorry, I'm going to decline the offer to take one for the team. I'm strenuously trying to hold the line at T4 paraplegia.
                  I've taken worse falls. I'll take one for the team. It'd be less than a 1.5' drop.

In all seriousness, I hope this gets resolved for you, Stephen.

Comment

I am sure they will address this post during the working week next week. Sorry to hear about your troubles Stephen.
                    "Life is about how you
                    respond to not only the
                    challenges you're dealt but
                    the challenges you seek...If
                    you have no goals, no
                    mountains to climb, your
                    soul dies".~Liz Fordred

Comment

I'm not convinced he'll hear from the tilite rep here. Hope he does, but doubt it.

Comment

in a nutshell, CF sucks for a wheelchair parts... it's a selling point i'm not buying!the same goes with single sided forks!
                        walking is OVER-RATED!!!

Broken in August 14th, 2003. T9-L1 complete.

Comment

why

Originally posted by smokey View Post
                          Steverino, I have prepared the necessary paperwork and we'll file a lawsuit with the NY AG's Office on Monday morning. I have sustained severe emotional distress just reading about this. Seriously, thx for the heads up...I was under the impression that everyone loved their TiLite chairs. It really is a terrific looking chair...too bad they may be running products out the door with minimal or poor quality control. I suspect that happens in any industry when demand spikes up.....quality can go down.
                          yeah, TI-Lite makes a great chair. Why not use your momentum to make change instead of starting a brush fire?

Comment

Originally posted by stephen212 View Post

This is not my first CF camber tube--I had to return the first one because it was not made to the correct specs. Similarly, a few years back when I ordered a new back post for my ZR, it too had to be returned because the factory didn't pay attention to the order specs. While those goofs were simply inconveniences, adding weeks to delivery, they didn't pose immediate safety hazards. .
                            I`m sorry for what happened with your camber tube, the important thing is that you are ok without any accident.
                            I have ordered a new backrest too for my friend`s ZR, you will see something interesting in a few weeks.

Comment

Has everyone gone mad? :-)

Okay, Stephen, just need to say… Don't sound like a crank. :-)

CF is durable but there is no microscopic surface like aluminum or titanium for glue to keep a grip.

The TI engineers should've seen that one from a mile away.

My grievances against TI have always been with the customer service and paying attention to details.

I took your advice to cool my jets and discuss my situation with them. Consequently, we're moving right along on my next order. There are still things that drive me nuts and things I'm not entirely sure they will follow up with but they are a corporation and it is very easy to put a corporation on their heels and even knock them out so think carefully about your desired outcome. A timid company or at least one company in Washington State that does the actual innovation (i.e., not Microsoft)

The solution to a carbon fiber camber tube is a bolt or a rivet. I'd prefer a bolt because it gives me more freedom to swap out plugs with different angles or even manufacture plugs in a way that would give me adjustable width.

Holy cow… I must have died last night crossing the street or from alcohol poisoning because I read like the voice of reason.

Comment

Originally posted by Patrick Madsen View Post
                                I'm not convinced he'll hear from the tilite rep here. Hope he does, but doubt it.
                                I find it odd that when MrCoffee phoned TiLite about his series2 backrest hinge issue they told him to blow. Once he posted his concern here he was sent repair parts free of charge. I imagine this will be another of those instances. I just feel sorry for people that haven't found our little CC world.

years ago I worked with an old biker that had a t-shirt that read "If it has tits or wheels you'll have problems with it".

Comment

Working...
                                X