No announcement yet.

getting perfect measurements

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

you said that falling forward was an issue. sometimes dump can help with that, because your weight ends up staying back and not falling forward. basically you want to lighten the front end. i had a major problem with my first chair tipping forward, which got much worse (almost unusable) as my balance and trunk stability got worse. my 2nd chair actually has the same amount of dump, but i changed lots of other settings to fix the problem. i dropped my seat heights by 1/2 inch. the seat depth is 2" longer (but i still have room for all 4 fingers behind my knee) and i have an extra 1" of frame depth. my front angle is 85 instead of 87. also i have a tilite tr (box frame) which somepeople say is less likely to flex than l frames - i have no direct experience with the zr, but have heard people say it is not problematic - but i do have an aluminium l frame that does flex.

for cushions, it sounds as though you may benefit by being pressure mapped to help find the right choice. may sure you replicate your eventual measurements...

Comment

My problem with dump is that I am sooooo short bodied, it feels like I'm squished in the seat with dump, and my thighs are touching my ribs. Then it just puts a lot of pressure on wherever I sit the hardest. Bony prominences.
      I think this chair tips forward a lot- that's when it hits jagged sidewalk, basically, is the length of the chair is extremely compact. Less than 2 feet from rear to front of frame bars. Again, 5" wheels help a LOT, but then maneuverability really, really suffers. Not sure if frog legs would help, or make it worse? I just compensate by popping little wheelies over bumps and jaggedies.

Oh, and I just realized my rear wheels are indeed 24s. So I should stick with those. How Colours managed to get the side guards higher than the wheels, I dunno. Really hurts to get my pants on, that's for sure.

Anyone else here have a Jay3? I do like how it feels, but I am thinking I definitely need pressure mapping in it. I can tell that eventually it's going to mess me up. There's the air one, too. I'll look up those other cushions, but when I've searched, nothing looked like it would really work well.

Comment

well, in my case i dont use the sideguard to pull up pants.fendered sideguard is an exception, but all other sideguard isnt pants-pulling-friendly...i use my backrest instead...not that it's the right method.SCI_OTR mentioned that it may break down to pieces, so i try not to do it too harsh.sometimes i use my tire, where in my case my sideguard is profiled to my rear wheel...about your sideguard, u can always cut and grind it at any metal shop.they only use aluminum for their sideguard, or plastic (which makes cutting easier)...

bad mapping?just find your butt the best cushion and do push ups regularly.problem solved!
        walking is OVER-RATED!!!

Broken in August 14th, 2003. T9-L1 complete.

Comment

well, in my case i dont use the sideguard to pull up pants.fendered sideguard is an exception, but all other sideguard isnt pants-pulling-friendly...i use my backrest instead...not that it's the right method.SCI_OTR mentioned that it may break down to pieces, so i try not to do it too harsh.sometimes i use my tire, where in my case my sideguard is profiled to my rear wheel...about your sideguard, u can always cut and grind it at any metal shop.they only use aluminum for their sideguard, or plastic (which makes cutting easier)...

bad mapping?just find your butt the best cushion and do push ups regularly.problem solved!
          walking is OVER-RATED!!!

Comment

Originally posted by nia adha View Post

hello there... right now, i didt use a sideguard/armrest, backrest, wheel to pull my pants.... i only pull it over when one of my hand just stand on seat and pull my pants with another hand at my back...

Comment

Pants I can't help.. I have the same issue but, as far as cushions go.... Consider a Ride custom cushion, it is molded to you... I was on a Jay cushion for quite a while and would never go back... Since I got my new chair, I have a Stimulite SlimLine cushion... I like it as I don't have to resituate gel ALL the time. The one thing about the Ride cushion is, it's awfully pricey compared to a non-custom cushion

Good Luck!

WG

Comment

What's the big deal with the Stimulite? They don't LOOk like they're very soft or comfy. Are they squishy enough? I'll have to see about trying one.

Comment

You're right; they don't look it but, they feel it. They are squishy to an extent. If you need to you can order an XS (extra soft) cushion

Comment

The stimulites might be a bit uncomfortable for the first week or so until it's broken in. I didn't experience that with my slimline though.

Comment

i'm using my stimulite classic.it needs some time to break the ice..3-4days of sitting is enough for me...but it is comfy!for real!!!

WG : i thought the XS is for the extra sensitive skin? =/ looks like i wasted some money on that...
                      walking is OVER-RATED!!!

Comment

XS is extra sensitive, there is an extra layer of softer material on the very top.
                        I have a Classic XS and absolutely love it. Prior to this cushion I was using a Varilite Meridian and was having issues with it. I could never find the right pressure of air vs foam, and was either sitting on too much air and it made my back sore, or was sitting on the bottom of the cushion with only foam, and again a sore back. With the Stimulite Classic XS I can sit all day with no pain, and no redness. It feels super stable, and most of all is comfortable.
                        ~Mandy~
                        SCI as a result of spinal surgery
                        TiLite Aero Z!!!

Comment

yeah!no reds!it's soft too!sometimes i even used is as a pillow!

i like roho too...it's just that when it leaks, i'm doomed. but tom borcherding been nice to me and sent me a new one...^_^
                          walking is OVER-RATED!!!

Comment

Working...
                          X