basement access

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• basement access

Trying to figure out a way to access a basement without going outside...a ramp would be possible but it would need to be 144ft long for ADA standards. the house will have an attached garage and a walkout basement but in the dead of winter not an option we want to entertain. Any ideas....get creative here we are open to ideas...thanks

I butt boost up and down the stairs. Have someone hold your feet so they don't get a rug burn or scraped.
    Andrew

Comment

Here is a website with some interesting concepts:
      http://www.dmeaccess.com/residential_inclined.htm

I did a Google search "basement access for wheelchair." There may be a lot of ideas in the listings that came up that I didn't have time to look at.

Good Luck,
      GJ

Comment

I bought a 8 ft. porch lift off of ebay, built a closet around it and it works great.

Comment

stair lift and a spare chair for the basement?
          Chas
          TiLite TR3
          Dual-Axle TR3 with RioMobility DragonFly
          I am a person with mild/moderate hexaparesis (impaired movement in 4 limbs, head, & torso) caused by RRMS w/TM C7&T7 incomplete.

"I know you think you understand what you thought I said, but what I don't think you realize is that what you heard is not what I meant."
          <
          UNKNOWN AUTHOR>

Comment

Originally posted by chasmengr View Post
            That's exactly what I was going to say.

Comment

platform lift so no need for spare chair or the hassle of transfering
              Life is like a box of chocolates, you never know what you're gonna get.

Comment

stairlift. We have one to our basement. Works great.
                Ugh, I've been kissed by a dog!
                Get some hot water, get some iodine ...
                -- Lucy VanPelt

Comment

Originally posted by chasmengr View Post
                  thats what i do but gurly has a great idea there
                  to alcohol the cause of-and solution to-all of lifes problems [homer simpson]

Comment

Kind of pricey, but an elevator would be an idea. When I adapted my home, I put one in to get down to our walkout basement a garage. It is freaking awesome, but they aren't cheep.

Comment

Make an elevator

I drew up plans for a homemade elevator, and my dad, uncle & cousins did the work. It was pretty cheap.
                      We have a rectangular cement/block opening in our garage floor that had a set of wooden steps leading to the basement. We took the stairs out, which left just a rectangular opening. Then we made a wall that went from the garage floor to the ceiling on the other side of the opening. Next, we added a steel I beam across the exisiting wall to the new wall, and hung a winch from it. The winch has a hanging pendulum controller on it for up/down. after that, we took 4 sections of garage door track, and mounted them on the walls in each corner of the new "shaft". The most expensive part was having a platform made - I have an aluminum frame with a hook welded on top for the winch, and diamond plate on the floor & mesh on the sides. We have mounting blocks on each corner top & bottom with rubber garage door wheels to ride in the tracks. Works awesome, have been using it for the last 11 years now.

Comment

That's pretty freakin awesome. I've always thought of doing some homemade elevator, even before I was injured. I always thought of just some counter weighted, pulley operated platform, kind of like a dumbwaiter. I guess you might as well add an electric motor/winch. It would be way awesome if you could post some shots!

Here's another way to go up and down from the basement:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=arIglT--omY

that pole would definitely take me some training!

Comment

I know you just ruled out the solution I use, but....

for $750 I had a concrete path laid from the garage, round the side of the house to the basement. It is definately not the gay ADA slope, but I can push it using my massive guns (ok, normal sized arms). If it rains......well.....it never rains here in GA, and when it does rain it quits after 10 minutes......

The big plus point is that it doesn't screw up the house/stairs for resale value....its a nice path that any home owner would like

Comment

If you have time, post some pictures, Mark. I'd like to see how you did it, as I've been thinking along similar lines.
                            Originally posted by MarkB701 View Post
                            I know you just ruled out the solution I use, but....

for $750 I had a concrete path laid from the garage, round the side of the house to the basement. It is definately not the gay ADA slope, but I can push it using my massive guns (ok, normal sized arms). If it rains......well.....it never rains here in GA, and when it does rain it quits after 10 minutes......

The big plus point is that it doesn't screw up the house/stairs for resale value....its a nice path that any home owner would like
                            Please donate a dollar a day at http://justadollarplease.org.
                            Copy and paste this message to the bottom of your signature.

Thanks!

Comment

My Ramp

Here's pictures of my ramp. The slope is 2 3/4:12. I'm in a power chair so going up and down is no problem. No one has complained about it being to hard to walk up and down either.

Comment

Working...
                              X