D locks or Surelocks?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• D locks or Surelocks?

I just ordered a new ZR series 2 and I want to order either the D's or the surelocks, but I can't decide which is better. I like what I have read on the surelocks but there handle looks cheap. Anyway which do you all think is better?

im a d's guy. 5th set on my zr2. love them. nuff said
    Bike-on.com rep
    John@bike-on.com
    c4/5 inc funtioning c6. 28 yrs post.
    sponsored handcycle racer

Comment

If you can get the recent updated version of the Surelocks with more holes I'd say get them. Other than that, they work essentially the same.

He who hears not me but the Logos will say: All is one.

Comment

I've been thinking about this same question lately as well... I want to keep my chair narrow. Which lock won't add that much width to the chair?
        May 2000, T4-5 Complete.

Nam-Myoho-Renge-Kyo

Comment

Originally posted by marlin View Post
          I just ordered a new ZR series 2 and I want to order either the D's or the surelocks, but I can't decide which is better. I like what I have read on the surelocks but there handle looks cheap. Anyway which do you all think is better?
          Originally posted by Hype62 View Post
          I've been thinking about this same question lately as well... I want to keep my chair narrow. Which lock won't add that much width to the chair?
          I started with a D's system but I didn't keep it for long. You're still using a ZR, right? The custom ZR/Surelock system on my chair doesn't add any width to the chair, and it's the cleanest looking setup you can get. I've posted detailed pictures of my rig a bunch of times here which you can check out.
          stephen@bike-on.com

Comment

Originally posted by stephen212 View Post
            I started with a D's system but I didn't keep it for long. You're still using a ZR, right? The custom ZR/Surelock system on my chair doesn't add any width to the chair, and it's the cleanest looking setup you can get. I've posted detailed pictures of my rig a bunch of times here which you can check out.
            Thanks stephen. Yup i'm still using the ZR. I've seen the pictures you posted here and also on Surelock's website. There are things I like about both systems. I like the lever on the D's and the piston/camber bracket for the ZR from surelock; looks clean.

Anyone have a closeup picture of how the disk is installed on the wheel hub for the D's system?
            May 2000, T4-5 Complete.

Nam-Myoho-Renge-Kyo

Comment

Originally posted by Hype62 View Post
              Thanks stephen. Yup i'm still using the ZR. I've seen the pictures you posted here and also on Surelock's website. There are things I like about both systems. I like the lever on the D's and the piston/camber bracket for the ZR from surelock; looks clean.

Anyone have a closeup picture of how the disk is installed on the wheel hub for the D's system?
              It's quite possible that you can request a custom-shaped lever from Surelock. Mine is tucked under my seat and so is very inconspicuous. It wouldn't work any better for me if it was contoured like the one that D's uses. However, if my hand/grip function was compromised, a curved lever might help. That's probably the simplest part of the system to redesign -- you just have to ask.
              stephen@bike-on.com

Comment

hype, d's adds no width to your ride
                Bike-on.com rep
                John@bike-on.com

Comment

I had D's and just ordered Surelock's with my new ZR. I like the fact there are more holes.

Comment

Wonder why especially paras chose either lock system. Much easier and durable with simple lock systems without all kinds of wires and add-ons to the wheels etc., I would think.

Comment

The two locking systems are much easier/quieter/durable/reliable than old crappy locking systems.

Comment

Originally posted by Jim View Post
                        The two locking systems are much easier/quieter/durable/reliable than old crappy locking systems.
                        I don’t know what you mean here, you have to be more specific. But as for the things you mention in general the fewer parts, fewer moving items and less mechanical operations a locking system has, the better. Thus I would think like I said that especially paras would go for other simple direct locking system. After all the main objective is just to have good brakes on a wheelchair. And I honestly don’t see that introducing wires, pistons, more screws, more actions and movable parts would help for any of that.

Comment

Its like night and day leif.
                          Bike-on.com rep
                          John@bike-on.com

Comment

Originally posted by fuentejps View Post
                            Its like night and day leif.
                            Hi fuente,
                            I can understand one wants these system if one has some reduced hand function etc., if it makes it easier, thus I wrote for paras above. I have and have had a few wheelchairs with different direct brake devices, sure some was of bad quality and had to be replaced but there are plenty good ones out there, which in turn would eliminate the other add-ons the break systems discussed here has. Why would one go for a system with many more parts if not required? Some of the brakes I now have I just bump my hands onto and they lock, much easier than some handles one has to turn etc., just to mention that as well.

Comment

Originally posted by Leif View Post
                              I don’t know what you mean here, you have to be more specific. But as for the things you mention in general the fewer parts, fewer moving items and less mechanical operations a locking system has, the better. Thus I would think like I said that especially paras would go for other simple direct locking system. After all the main objective is just to have good brakes on a wheelchair. And I honestly don’t see that introducing wires, pistons, more screws, more actions and movable parts would help for any of that.
                              I'm going to say that I'm not aware of any "direct locking system" that doesn't have the following 3 disadvantages:

1. Lock mechanism (even the underseat scissors lock) gets in the way of your hands if you are an active user
                              2. Good lock relies on correct tire inflation
                              3. Good lock relies on lock position, and they all slip over time and must be readjusted, which is a total pain in the ass since you have to remove the wheels to fix them, then put the wheels back on to check that they're right, lather, rinse, repeat...

D's and Surelocks don't present any of these problems, and because of that any extra complexity is worth it to me, even though I have full use of my hands.

Comment

Working...
                              X