Building a Quad friendly RZR

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Building a Quad friendly RZR

I've just bought myself a used Polaris Ranger Rzr 800 that I'm going to modify to be as quadriplegic friendly as possible. The ultimate intention is to use it in a four day, 1 000 km off-road ride to raise funds for the Quadpara association of South Africa. It's at the beginning of October so I don't have much time to get it modded.

On my list is:
    Power steering and Hand controls (possibly both from Hunterworks, depending on final shipping cost and time to get here)
    Racing seat and 4 point harnesses (I think I can source those locally)
    I also need to make a plan to replace the stock "side roll bars" - they really get in the way when I transfer in and out. I might need to get some after market doors.
    Fabricate some kind of fold away armrests for suport and comfort for the 6 to 8 hours per day rides.

Here is a photo of the totally stock vehicle as I got it.

I've read the previous posts on side by sides (UTVs) a few times - some great info in there. If anyone has any advice or done this before, I'd love to get your input.

Thanks.
    _____oOo_____
    Phil C6
    "If you can't explain it to me in less than 10 seconds, it's probably not worth knowing anyway..." - Calvin

Years ago I used to own a Honda Odyssey and then later a Honda Pilot, they were a lot of fun and needed zero modifications to drive, all hand controls. The Pilot was quite superior to the older Odyssey.
    C5-6 Complete - 8/13/1982

Comment

I want to build something like this but it will never happen.

Comment

Contact Matt at Blax handrims. He has already modified his RZR.

http://www.pushblax.com/pages/BLAX-08-RZR.html
        Life's perceived journey in this PMR is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting "holy **** what a VR ride!"
        Pete C6/'97

Comment

Thanks Bras - I sent him a message from his site. Great stuff.
          _____oOo_____
          Phil C6
          "If you can't explain it to me in less than 10 seconds, it's probably not worth knowing anyway..." - Calvin

Comment

I would but I don't want to get my hopes up, I don't think he has the money to give me a vehicle to convert and do the conversion free. I'm sorry its a nice thought, but that just don't happen.

Comment

Mines somewhat like his, only I want to add a ramp and extend the steering swap the wheel for handle bars and cut out a section for a wheelchair and add a easy lock plus few extras.

Comment

I have a modifield polaris rzr. I'll try and get pictures for you. You can build a lift that comes out from the roll cage if needed. Also you'll want to figure a way to strap your legs down because if you dont it gets dangerous. A 4 point racing harness works great too

Comment

Originally posted by dlesh04 View Post
                  I have a modifield polaris rzr. I'll try and get pictures for you. You can build a lift that comes out from the roll cage if needed.
                  I have a 800 RZR, modified too. But I still have issues to transfer in/out (to do an emergency brake too -It's another story)
                  This idea of a lift on the roll cage is inspiring ! Your picts are welcome…
                  C6-7 since mid 2002, no hand control nor triceps.
                  my website & my job (in France): Accessibility advisor www.acceslibre.eu
                  Also working on a French research about Peer counseling and Empowerment.

Comment

Originally posted by dlesh04 View Post
                    I have a modifield polaris rzr. I'll try and get pictures for you. You can build a lift that comes out from the roll cage if needed. Also you'll want to figure a way to strap your legs down because if you dont it gets dangerous. A 4 point racing harness works great too
                    Yea photos would be great!! Snooped around the RZR forum a couple months back but never joined. Does everyone favor the RZR over the Ace for some reason? Would like to see a version of the old Odyssey steering wheel controls on one of these new buggies. Anyone in on the west side of Washington state off road?
                    "Never turn your back on fear. It should always be in front of you, like a thing that might have to be killed." - Hunter Thompson
                    T5/6 complete

Comment

Here's a recent thread on the rzr forum about a rzr set up with a joystick for a quad:

http://www.rzrforums.net/rzr-s-900/3...r-s-900-a.html
                      Push me to the limit,
                      maybe I may bend,
                      but I will not be broken.
                      -Bonnie Raitt

Comment

Very Cool. Feels good to get dirrrty sometimes.
                        "Never turn your back on fear. It should always be in front of you, like a thing that might have to be killed." - Hunter Thompson
                        T5/6 complete

Comment

Working...
                        X