Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

hand controls

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • hand controls

    yes im c5 c6 what would be the best hand controls for me to use i haven't drove in 11 years im going get a jeep or a geo something small to drive maybe a small truck any of yall help will help me out thanks

  • #2
    Here's a good company of many.
    http://www.suregrip-hvl.com/index2.php

    Comment


    • #3
      good demos here http://www.suregrip-hvl.com/

      Comment


      • #4
        ok thanks

        Comment


        • #5
          I have just installed what they call push pat controls into my ute I am a C5C6 .
          you push them forward towards the dash to break and pushed them down towards the floor to accelerate.
          They are a fixed unit on to the steering column and do not have to be removed for able-bodied people to use the normal foot pedals

          Comment


          • #6
            We have the Sure Grip push to brake, and pull down to throttle controls in our 4wd camping van and have heard really good things about them.
            www.disabledexplorers.org
            Backcountry recreation for the disabled in the Wheelchair Accessible Van for Expeditions

            Comment


            • #7
              I tried some SureGrips on a test vehicle. They were okay but as a quad, it required using my weaker hand on the controls and my good hand on the steering wheel. I found that city driving would tire my left hand quickly.

              Good luck in whichever one you choose.
              Millard
              ''Life's tough... it's even tougher if you're stupid!'' -- John Wayne

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by goddy View Post
                I have just installed what they call push pat controls into my ute I am a C5C6 .
                you push them forward towards the dash to break and pushed them down towards the floor to accelerate.
                They are a fixed unit on to the steering column and do not have to be removed for able-bodied people to use the normal foot pedals
                Mine look like this I am c4-c5 complete they are standard hand controls with a tri - pin spinner knob and regular steering and breaks.
                ^^(A)^^

                Comment


                • #9
                  Goddy's vid

                  is a video of the first time I have used my hand controls it was a very dodgy set up to start with but I have now changed a few things
                  I was too eager to just try it although now that I have got correct parts it will be totally easier

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by darty View Post
                    Mine look like this I am c4-c5 complete they are standard hand controls with a tri - pin spinner knob and regular steering and breaks.


                    I think I am using the same type and same brand of handcontrol as you, but my car driving seat is on the right hand side, so it is installed in the other way round. I feel that this type of hand control is not very smooth, and too many parts and complicated to install.
                    Last edited by sowseng; 06-27-2010, 10:09 PM.
                    Life is meaningles, though you create the purpose.sigpic

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      I will be getting hand controls installed in my Toyota Rav4 in the next couple weeks. I would like to have them installed to control with my right arm, as I tend to steer using my left arm (habit). I am 6'0" tall and most of my height is in my legs. What hand controls (brand/style) can I use that won't take away from my leg room. I will be demoing the traditional style push for brake, turn towards lap for gas style on Tuesday, but have a feeling that might not be the best fit for me. I've heard of the twist for gas (motorcycle type grip) but don't know what brand that is. Can anyone give me some help with other styles? Thanks!
                      ~Mandy~
                      SCI as a result of spinal surgery
                      TiLite Aero Z!!!

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        This is the motor cycle type
                        http://www.wells-engberg.com/

                        they definitely take the least amount of space and therefore give you the most leg room but you need to have full wrist control and strength to use them and I think they are the hardest to use - especially in the city.
                        C3/4 Brown Sequard

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          I just switched from the traditional controls to the twist grip Wells Engberg. I had them installed in a 2010 Subaru Impreza. They really do take up less space under the dash. After using them for a month now, I will say that I like them much better. They're easy to use once you get the hang of them but I have complete use of my hands. They do take some strength to turn the throttle, but it's not any more than a motorcycle. The Wells Engberg controls can be adapted for either right or left hand use.

                          Larry

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            These are custom controls I made for my Durango. They're right hand operated and the brake connecting rod is completely out of the way running along the transmission hump and slightly above the ankles where it crosses over the the brake peddle. The gas is operated by the bicycle brake lever seen in the photo. This setup could be made without the bike brake lever and instead use a rearward pull on the arm assembly for throttle, for those of you quads without or with minimal wrist movement.

                            In fact, I'm making this setup for another member's polaris RZR right now.

                            I've been using these controls now for 2 years after using Surgrip controls for 5 years and I MUCH prefer this type of arrangement. If you look just under the bottom of the steering wheel you'll notice the knee bolster is all chewed up where the Suregrip controls used to be. My controls mount from the bottom of the car seat so there is no damage to the vehicle to install them...
                            "Timid men prefer the calm of despotism to the tempestuous sea of liberty." ~ Thomas Jefferson

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Originally posted by stlyin moe View Post
                              These are custom controls I made for my Durango. They're right hand operated and the brake connecting rod is completely out of the way running along the transmission hump and slightly above the ankles where it crosses over the the brake peddle. The gas is operated by the bicycle brake lever seen in the photo. This setup could be made without the bike brake lever and instead use a rearward pull on the arm assembly for throttle, for those of you quads without or with minimal wrist movement.

                              In fact, I'm making this setup for another member's polaris RZR right now.

                              I've been using these controls now for 2 years after using Surgrip controls for 5 years and I MUCH prefer this type of arrangement. If you look just under the bottom of the steering wheel you'll notice the knee bolster is all chewed up where the Suregrip controls used to be. My controls mount from the bottom of the car seat so there is no damage to the vehicle to install them...
                              Great job, Moe!

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X