replacing spinergy LX spokes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

replacing spinergy LX spokes

I've been wondering what kind of procedure to follow to replace a spinergy spoke. A while back I ordered some replacements to customize the look of my wheels. The thread on the ZR series2 with the single white spoke got me thinking again...
    anyways, I'd like to change 3 per wheel. if I were to remove and replace 1 at a time how do I go about making sure they are tensioned correctly? Is this something I want done at a bike shop? I thought about phoning and asking them but of course they'll say "yes, bring your money".
    Anyone replace these spokes? I couldn't believe how flexible they are! like the pictures of them tied in a knot.
    Last edited by tooley; 18 Mar 2010, 8:55 PM. Reason: sunglasses at night

When you will change your spokes even you think you have tighted all the spokes with the same tension probably the wheel will be very unbalanced, and you will need to balance the wheel properly.
    I good bike shop will do it with no problem

Comment

Originally posted by totoL1 View Post
      When you will change your spokes even you think you have tighted all the spokes with the same tension probably the wheel will be very unbalanced, and you will need to balance the wheel properly.
      I good bike shop will do it with no problem
      hi totoL1

I need to change one spoke, because the pbo fiber is appearing.
      In this case, will I need to balance my wheel too?

Comment

Originally posted by chriZ View Post
        hi totoL1

I need to change one spoke, because the pbo fiber is appearing.
        In this case, will I need to balance my wheel too?
        yes, if you want them perfect balanced

Comment

I worked as an auto mechanic prior to my injury and my honest thoughts on this is how could a wheel "out of balance" have any effect on anything at 3 mph? There were times our wheel balancer would act up and you still could not feel any kind of wheel shimmy below 30 mph... probably not the best for bearings, though.

anyone else that's not a downhill wheelchair racer have any thoughts on this?

Comment

Originally posted by tooley View Post
            I worked as an auto mechanic prior to my injury and my honest thoughts on this is how could a wheel "out of balance" have any effect on anything at 3 mph? There were times our wheel balancer would act up and you still could not feel any kind of wheel shimmy below 30 mph... probably not the best for bearings, though.

anyone else that's not a downhill wheelchair racer have any thoughts on this?
            Of course you are not going to advice nothing going from the bed to the kitchen, and from the kitchen to the computer.
            But even if you are not a downhiller if you`ve got a wheel out of balance when you go down the street, people who go behind you will see your wheels shimming, and I don`t know about you, but I like having my material in good condition.

Today i put the timer going when I made my daily flat 9km(5.59 miles) in my daily chair and i stopped at 42:36, so do the account for see if i exceds 3mph.
            Last edited by totoL1; 19 Mar 2010, 6:29 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by totoL1 View Post
              Today i put the timer going when I made my daily flat 9km(5.59 miles) in my daily chair and i stopped at 42:36, so do the account for see if i exceds 3mph.
              Yes, we know you're a superstar. I am not. I have been in a wheelchair less than 6 months. I don't like spending money for something I'm more than willing to learn and perform myself.

Let me correct myself- anyone but this guy have any thoughts?

Surely if a bike tech can do it for bikes that go no more than 50 mph, I can do an acceptable job for myself at 3 mph. But definitely not for this guy, he's Christopher Reeve (pre-SCI).

Comment

Originally posted by tooley View Post
                Yes, we know you're a superstar. I am not. I have been in a wheelchair less than 6 months. I don't like spending money for something I'm more than willing to learn and perform myself.

Let me correct myself- anyone but this guy have any thoughts?

Surely if a bike tech can do it for bikes that go no more than 50 mph, I can do an acceptable job for myself at 3 mph. But definitely not for this guy, he's Christopher Reeve (pre-SCI).
                I don`t spend money for balance my wheels, i do it myself, next time when i change my tyres i will take out a pair of spokes and i will make a video for the forum for you can see a wheel shimming and what to do for balanced.
                I think that Christopher Reeve would like to be at this moment me( rest in peace).
                Of course if you replace a few spokes and you tight them nearly the same you are not going to have any problem, spin the wheel on the axle and you will see the balance of the wheel.

This video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a25vC...eature=related can give you an idea of what to do, Spinergys LX are easier wheels for balanced because they only have 12 spokes.
                Last edited by totoL1; 20 Mar 2010, 8:00 AM.

Comment

I have all kinds of fibers sticking from my spokes. For years, with no problem. I've changed many "one spoke" Spinergys. Just take off the tire, undo the spoke and tighten up the new to feel like the others. It's one spoke no big deal. If ya do it wrong take it to a bike shop. THe fiber spokes are not like the metal ones we are used to. They have a lof of leeway.

Comment

Originally posted by Patrick Madsen View Post
                    I have all kinds of fibers sticking from my spokes. For years, with no problem. I've changed many "one spoke" Spinergys. Just take off the tire, undo the spoke and tighten up the new to feel like the others. It's one spoke no big deal. If ya do it wrong take it to a bike shop. THe fiber spokes are not like the metal ones we are used to. They have a lof of leeway.
                    Hi Patrick
                    How often do you need to change spokes? How often they get damaged? I'm writing from Mexico and I'm planning to order a couple of them in case something happens.

Thanks

Comment

I have never had to replace a spoke or had an damage. I have had to tighten spokes and it is some trouble because I have to remove the tire/inner tube and liner but with the supplied wrench from Spinergy, tightening the spokes is easy.

Comment

Mine was from being frayed sitting too close to the fire. Another was when I smoked and I put the cigarette out on the spoke forgetting it wasn't a metal spoke. It's a good idea to have a few spares around. I bought a few years and years ago; never needed to change them. My Spox set has quite a few frayed but it still seems to work fine.

Never had to have my Spox tightened. The LX's I've had to do twice. This last time I bought the LX sport set which has a few more spokes in the wheel. Trustfully they'll be like the Spox, never needing to be tightened. I forget the poundage used when truing. Spinergy or someone here should know.

Comment

It's funny that you had that experience with the LX. It's the same for me. Over four years I had to adjust my LX wheels several times. I am now running Spox and nothing I've done to them has loosened a thing. I wonder. I prefer the more open wheel design of the LX but I always want durability over anything else. I once spoke with a tech at Spinergy and he was telling me that they heat their wheels to set the spokes, pre-stretch them. He said that way they were likely to stay put and need much less maintenance. I can't agree with him based on my results. My LX's when new needed tightening within a month, then a while later and then again a few months later. After that they seem to settle. They still aren't staying tight but they are loosening less.

The Spox haven't changed a bit and I've put them through a lot.

Comment

Originally posted by grommet View Post
                            I have never had to replace a spoke or had an damage. I have had to tighten spokes and it is some trouble because I have to remove the tire/inner tube and liner but with the supplied wrench from Spinergy, tightening the spokes is easy.
                            Wait, so if my Spox need tightening I have to take off the tire and tube??? This seems like a terrible design flaw.

I'm about to put a new set of tubes and tires on, should I just go ahead and make sure everything is trued before I put it back together?

Comment

I never thought of it as a design flaw. The tools that come with the wheels are a flat wrench and a tubular wrench or socket. The tubular one goes inside the rim in the hole where the spoke nipple comes out. Hold it there while tightening with the flat wrench. If you think your wheels need truing, yes I would do that while you already have everything off. Seems the most convenient way to me. Do they need adjustment?

I wish I didn't have to take off the tire, the innertube and the rim liner to do this but it's not complicated, just hard taking all that stuff off (for me). I think they are great wheels. Smoother ride than anything else I've tried and they are very strong. I rode steel wire spokes for years and the noise never stopped. Every time out I heard it. The Spinergy wheels are quiet. At least until there's a loose spoke and then there's some rattle but even then it doesn't compare to the endless noise from steel spokes and, with my Spox I haven't had anything loosen. I really like their stuff.

Comment

Working...
                              X