Hair (etc.) in casters

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hair (etc.) in casters

I know I have read comments on this in the past, I tried to do a search to add my comments there, to no avail.

I wanted to share my experience with others.

Yesterday I noticed my chair pulling to the left and that it didn't seem to roll nearly as easy as in the past, it seemed as I had to push and push and push instead of push and roll. As I thought on it, I started recalling other instances where I was questioning how my chair rolled, such as pushing through a store recently and the mall, it seemed like a lot more work and rolling out to my barn, it is down hill and I use to roll out a lot faster, and simply rolling through my house and turning took more work.

Last night we removed my casters and took out the hair build up. Today my chir feels like it did when new, the difference is not subtle, to say the least! Clearly this is something that will need to be done regularly, as my chair isn't that old.

Anyway, I wanted to share with this others as something to consider and or be aware of. This seems to be worse build up on the 4" casters than my 8".
    C5-6 Complete - 8/13/1982

With two cats my casters always have extra fur build up. I don't have anyone willing to take the casters off for me, but every so often I get a screwdriver and just start yanking it out in clumps. Sometimes I find dental floss in there too, which makes me wonder how good my aim is when I think something has gone into the wastebasket!

Comment

I take the casters out and pull out the hair and carpet fibers and stuff about once every two weeks, more often if my daughter (hair halfway down her back) is home.

Comment

Cleaning and lubicating

When I was going to college one day my front caster stopped! Like I hit a bottle cap head on and there was nothing there! Then I noticed all the hair and string wound around the sleeve bushing. I had a pair of small cutters with me and I removed enough hair and string to get me rolling again. If you have a lot of hair build up use a match to burn the hair off and out. Every month now I clean and silicon spray the casters, axles and the quick release buttons.

Ti
        Last edited by titanium4motion; 03-18-2010, 11:17 AM. Reason: typo
        "We must overcome difficulties rather than being overcome by difficulties."

Comment

Originally posted by titanium4motion View Post
          If you have a lot of hair build up use a match to burn the hair off and out. Every month now I clean and silicon spray the casters, axles and the quick release buttons.Ti
          Interesting tips, I'll have to give them a try.

Comment

You can always count on a string or 2 of Christmas tinsel to find its way into the casters during holiday time! Probably does more damage, but at least its prettier than hair wads!
            sigpic

Comment

Once a month, along with refilling my tires, I take the casters off and clean out the hair.
              Don't anthropomorphise computers. They hate that.

Comment

I used to clean every 3 months. I don't have carpet im my house.

Comment

Originally posted by Quimby View Post
                  You can always count on a string or 2 of Christmas tinsel to find its way into the casters during holiday time! Probably does more damage, but at least its prettier than hair wads!
                  Do people still use tinsel?

Originally posted by Bondo
                  Once a month, along with refilling my tires, I take the casters off and clean out the hair.
                  I am going to have to start a monthly list as well, which also includes tightening seat straps.

Originally posted by chriZ
                  I used to clean every 3 months. I don't have carpet im my house.
                  Other than a couple area rugs, neither do I, wood floors throughout.

Comment

I take out the casters e clen easily.
                    A person do that for me.

Comment

Dont forget the Easter grass! I've been digging hair and other crap out of casters for 26 years.

Comment

I don't have to remove the caster type that's on mine. I carry a multi-tool. The pliers part can grab the hair and rip it out. It all comes out easily that way.
                        Andrew

Comment

Originally posted by SoulScream View Post
                          I don't have to remove the caster type that's on mine. I carry a multi-tool. The pliers part can grab the hair and rip it out. It all comes out easily that way.
                          In have done simliar things as this in the past on occaision, but what I had the other day, on this chair, had a far greater affect on my chairs performance than in the past.

Comment

Originally posted by Brianm View Post
                            In have done simliar things as this in the past on occaision, but what I had the other day, on this chair, had a far greater affect on my chairs performance than in the past.
                            and don't forget a little 3-in-1 oil, or other lubricating oil
                            We must reject the idea that every time a law's broken, society is guilty rather than the lawbreaker. It is time to restore the American precept that each individual is accountable for his actions.
                            Ronald Reagan

Comment

I have to remove dog fur from a golden retriever and my own hair that has fallen on the floor out of my wheels every so often. I usually grab the hair with a pair of needle nose pliers and pull it out. I have unitine forks on my new chair, so hopefully, the hair won't get so wrapped up.

Comment

Working...
                              X