No announcement yet.

Hair (etc.) in casters

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Looking forward to hearing about it Pat.

I could have knit a sweater with what I pulled out of the casters yesterday. Granted, I let it go a bit too long. It was no easy task, and I am AB.

Strange that Frog Legs only found it interesting. I think they could market the heck out of a feature like that.

Originally posted by pattherat View Post
    I'll take some pics and post my $1 DIY solution soon....
    Partner of an incredible stroke survivor. Limitations: hemiparesis and neglect (functional paralysis and complete lack of awareness on one side). Equipment: TiLite ZRA 2 and 2GX, Spinergy ZX-1, RioMobility Firefly. Knowledge: relative newbie for high-level equipment (2012), but willing to try to help others who are new with similar limitations (definitely not a guru, but inquisitive).

Comment

1 month worth of hair, no lie:

Go here:

Buy 4.
      Do This:

Discard monkey
      Paint your favorite color:

Never have to see this again:

@Beth67: I floss too!
      pat@beachmobility.com

Comment

Really great idea Pat!!
        Chas
        TiLite TR3
        Dual-Axle TR3 with RioMobility DragonFly
        I am a person with mild/moderate hexaparesis (impaired movement in 4 limbs, head, & torso) caused by RRMS w/TM C7&T7 incomplete.

"I know you think you understand what you thought I said, but what I don't think you realize is that what you heard is not what I meant."
        <
        UNKNOWN AUTHOR>

Comment

Indeed, I like the idea as well. I would prefer nothing to rub the spinning caster though, and that looks like it might.
          C5-6 Complete - 8/13/1982

Comment

Originally posted by pattherat View Post
            1 month worth of hair, no lie:

Go here:

Buy 4.
            Do This:

Discard monkey
            Paint your favorite color:

Never have to see this again:

@Beth67: I floss too!
            Do we still need original spacer?
            Life is meaningles, though you create the purpose.sigpic

Comment

Love it Pat. You really threw me for a monkey spin at first (pardon the pun). Now just to think about where I can find something similar here.... Humm, thinking.....

BTW, very impressed that you can get your hairs out somewhat intact. I can't seem to get them out no mater how hard I try with pliers, etc. I smoked out our house last night burning them out, and there is still some left. I'm also going to give it a try with the Nair. Stay tuned....
              Partner of an incredible stroke survivor. Limitations: hemiparesis and neglect (functional paralysis and complete lack of awareness on one side). Equipment: TiLite ZRA 2 and 2GX, Spinergy ZX-1, RioMobility Firefly. Knowledge: relative newbie for high-level equipment (2012), but willing to try to help others who are new with similar limitations (definitely not a guru, but inquisitive).

Comment

Originally posted by chasmengr View Post
                Really great idea Pat!!
                Thanks, it's so simple but really works great so far.

Originally posted by Brianm
                Indeed, I like the idea as well. I would prefer nothing to rub the spinning caster though, and that looks like it might.
                They don't touch the the spinning caster at all. I'll post a pic of the other side.
                pat@beachmobility.com

Comment

Bicyclists use loose leather straps around axles to keep them clean. I've found that similar straps made from plastic cable ties works well for my casters; I rarely have to clean them.

Comment

Originally posted by Brianm View Post
                    If you are able to post a picture I would like to see this. This has me thinking about something that will fit over my spacer to possibly keep the hair from accumulating around the spacer.
                    Here you go Brian. Although I should have cleaned the dust off the nut first!
                    Gordon, father of son who became t6 paraplegic at the age of 4 in 2007 as a result of surgery to remove a spinal tumour.

Comment

Great stuff guys. Thanks for the pictures. I am going to try putting cut off zip ties around the spacers and see how that works. Again, excellent ideas!

Comment

Originally posted by Brianm View Post
                        Great stuff guys. Thanks for the pictures. . . . Again, excellent ideas!
                        - x2 -
                        Chas
                        TiLite TR3
                        I am a person with mild/moderate hexaparesis (impaired movement in 4 limbs, head, & torso) caused by RRMS w/TM C7&T7 incomplete.

"I know you think you understand what you thought I said, but what I don't think you realize is that what you heard is not what I meant."
                        <
                        UNKNOWN AUTHOR>

Comment

- x3 - Been trying to find stuff in the shed this weekend, but it's a total mess. I know we must have something that will work.

Comment

I'm reviving this thread, because it seems to be the bane of my existence, to get rid of hair in the casters. We have a lot of long haired humans around (including me) and pets, and it's a monthly chore I would prefer not to have.

I have not tried Pat's idea yet, because I still have not found anything suitable. Instead I have been doing what I mentioned earlier in this thread, which is to use our Cr?me br?l?e torch to burn it out. Afterwards I spray it with WD-40 to remove residue. Overall it works well but I'm concerned if I am causing damage to the casters or bearings (FrogLegs EPIC Aluminum Wide Softroll Casters).

Any input?

Comment

I still fight the fight as well. Fortunately I have my dad to clean them out every so often, many times needing to clean out the bearings and re-lubing. I have tried dangling zip ties from the spacers, I still do it. At one time I thought it helped prolong the process, but I am not so sure these days.

Comment

E, some bearings have plastic races. If you haven't damaged them by now, I doubt you will; the caster's aluminum is probably a good heat sync. Actually I think using a gentle torch is an inspired idea.

note: Having all hard floors (i.e., no carpets) and no pets anymore, my casters stay pretty clean for a long time.
                                Last edited by chasmengr; 03-06-2014, 02:20 PM.
                                Chas
                                TiLite TR3

<
                                UNKNOWN AUTHOR>

Comment

Working...
                                X