Permobil problem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Permobil problem

My chair will stop for no reason when im moving, anyone know whats up?
    Say what you mean and mean what you say because those who mind dont matter and those who matter dont mind.

My Myspace

Bump...
    Say what you mean and mean what you say because those who mind dont matter and those who matter dont mind.

My Myspace

Comment

Is it from static shocks? A surge from static electricity may be shutting it down.

Comment

I had a similar problem on a Hoveround I was going to give away. When it was on full speed the thing would just lock up. Really dangerous. At slower speeds it was fine. Electronics! The tech said I need to replace the controller. I was quoted around $600.00! The chair was my mother's. She's gone so the chair sits. Maybe I'll source a used controller and donate the chair.

Comment

doubt static cause it does it on concrete too

My Myspace

Comment

Chris, never had that happen to Joel's chair but when my Mom is out visiting she has a scooter type 3 wheeler and the kids crashed it into Jacks tool trailer...it does that now...will absolutely throw you off it stops like on a dime...I hope you find the problem soon...

Comment

Just curious, what model Permobil is it and how long have you had it? I'm looking into possibly getting a Permobil to replace my Q6000.

Comment

Do you need a loaner manual while you get it fixed? let us know...

Comment

Could be the controller. Happened to me. They'll also want to check the joystick and the wiring. Fixing the controller just takes a few minutes, it's just plug and play (with a new controller of course).

Comment

Permobil 300. Don't need a loaner but thank you.

My Myspace

Comment

Originally posted by GoTWHeeLs View Post
                      Permobil 300. Don't need a loaner but thank you.

I have a brand new Permobil 300 that I purchased for my very old age. I do not use it. I just charge the batteries once a week. I use other power chairs that I collect.

By the time I get to the Permobil, it may be obsolete and no one will know how to service it. That being the case, I learn everything I can about it so I can service it myself.
                      I am a trained industrial robotics technician. I hope that helps me later with the chair. Ha ha

One MAJOR WEAKNESS I read with Permobil is cable failure between the seat and the base of the chair. If the chair has elevate, the repeated cable flexing from going up and down weakens and sometimes breaks wires within the cable that can not be seen. This causes intermittent or permanent failures.
                      This includes your control cable from your joystick to the controller. It is very often the first thing to go out on these chairs.
                      That is what I read, over and over, from different sources. Whatever that is worth.

When this is the case, the cable is replaced and hope it did not short out the controller input circuitry.

This may not be your problem.
                      Please let us know what it was when you find out.

BTW...how was the durability before this? Do you like the chair?

good luck,
                      johnw
                      Last edited by JohnW; 9 Feb 2010, 4:56 PM. Reason: elevate

Comment

Love the chair, still not fixed though. Tomorrow AM hopefully

My Myspace

Comment

I had the same problem when I first got mine 1.5 years ago, it would shut-off randomly while driving then I would restart it go a while and it would shut-off again. I think the problem was a cable coming loose inside the base, and I also had a problem where the "gyroscope" located in the front of the base wasn't attached.

I'm having trouble remembering what exactly caused the "shut-downs" because when I first got mine it had a lot of other electronic problems and after trying to fix it for 6 months it got to be so frustrating and ridiculous that they decided it was a lemon and recalled it. I have had the one I'm in now for about a year without any of the same problems.
                          Last edited by Cory-M; 11 Feb 2010, 11:59 AM.

Comment

did your people find the problem?

Comment

They had to troubleshoot w/permobil on the phone. The conclusion so far is that their was something or a part rubbing the brake. IDK, find out when the part comes in.

My Myspace

Comment

Working...
                              X