Leg bag & way to empty it

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Leg bag & way to empty it

I use a night time drainage bag in a cover bag under my wheelchair seat when I'm up in my wheelchair. Works okay when wearing a dress. Which I usually do. But lately I've been wanting to wear pants. In that case I need a leg bag & some way to empty it during the day when I'm by myself. I can't reach my bag or open it. So it would need to be by remote control or switch or some way where it can be done without me bending over to open it. What do you use? Would you reccommend it to others?

Thanks alot! Mona
    sigpic

what about a belly bag instead?

Comment

There are remote openers out there, but I just learned to reach down and get my hand inside the hem of my pants leg and pull my foot onto the toilet seat. I have to be careful to not drop my shoe in the toilet (been there) but it works great for a quick empty. I have also seen people use a piece of rope to grab there foot when they could not reach it.

Getting your foot back on the foot rest is a task that has to be practiced though..
      C5-6 - 22 years

Comment

you could start by googling "leg bag openers"," automatic leg bag openers", or even better doing a search here for the same.

Comment

http://www.rdequipment.com/

Comment

Originally posted by Eileen View Post

Thanks Eileen. Have you used this one?

Thanks everyone.
            Jody my belly is already to big. Plus I couldn't drain it.
            quartermile I'll ck it out. I can't do that. Thanks for the link.
            bspill1 yes I thought about googlng but I really wanted input if they liked it. kwim?

Thanks!
            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Mona~on~wheels View Post
              Thanks Eileen. Have you used this one?

Thanks everyone.
              Jody my belly is already to big. Plus I couldn't drain it.
              quartermile I'll ck it out. I can't do that. Thanks for the link.
              bspill1 yes I thought about googlng but I really wanted input if they liked it. kwim?

Thanks!
              Not personally Mona, but I have a good friend who is a high quad and swears by it.

Comment

Mona, David can't drain his either so I have cut a small hole in the left leg of his pants be it sweat pants or jeans and then sewed it (basically a button hole) and then stick his cath tubing thru that and then hang the bag in his bag cover under his chair. Works really well and cheaper than buying any other piece of equipment.

Comment

I used one they are OK but you need to clean it or it will leak, I had the wires come off too. I just hang the overnight bag under chair too.

Comment

Originally posted by Eileen View Post
                    Not personally Mona, but I have a good friend who is a high quad and swears by it.
                    Thanks Eileen. That's good to know.

Thanks mswife I hadn't thought of that. I can see that working.

Thanks jryprt for the info. I don't need trouble.
                    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by MSWIFE1 View Post
                      Mona, David can't drain his either so I have cut a small hole in the left leg of his pants be it sweat pants or jeans and then sewed it (basically a button hole) and then stick his cath tubing thru that and then hang the bag in his bag cover under his chair. Works really well and cheaper than buying any other piece of equipment.
                      If you are only wearing pants once in a while (instead of your usual dresses ...) this certainly would be the simplest way to manage it.
                      T7-8 since Feb 2005

Comment

I've got one of these http://www.freedomprod.com/release.htm to install on my new chair which arrives soon. It is a simple non-electric device that should be foolproof.
                        Robert

live free, drive fast

Comment

I saw this mechannnnnncal one too:
                          http://www.jb-3.com/

Comment

Thanks sjean. Simplier but you can see it coming out of the pants & under my wc.
                            Will need to try it in different positions.

Thanks rahwheels will read all about it.

Thanks Random I'll ck it out. Good to have several to look at.
                            sigpic

Comment

I too have a problem reaching the bottom of my leg bag due to neuropathic pain. For years, I've used a simple solution. It's hard to explain, but simple to implement.

Connect a piece of rubber tubing (about 30" or so - depending on the length of your leg) to the bottom end of your leg bag and run it up your pants leg and let it rest on your thigh. Clamp it off with a standard thumb clamp. You will need a small opening near the top of your pants leg to access it. I use a small zippered opening in the inseam.

When you are ready to empty your leg bag, you will need another piece of rubber tube (about 36") with a rubber tube connector in one end. Just connect the two tubes, put the end of the second one in the toilet, open the thumb clamp, press the leg bag a little to get a siphon going and your leg bag will quickly empty itself .

It is a fast, reliable, and cheap solution.

Hope this helps.

Added detail:
                              If you try this, I'd suggest tying the tube (that is attached to the bottom of your leg bag) to the bottom strap of your leg bag. This prevents it from slipping out the bottom of your pants leg or kinking thereby making the leg bag difficult to empty. Also, I run the tube up the outside of my leg and over the top of my thigh letting the thumb clamp rest between the top of the leg bag and my leg. That helps to keep in from sliding under my leg.
                              Last edited by khmorgan; 01-11-2010, 12:04 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X