my M1, quad setup

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

my M1, quad setup

I'm out of my M1 today (snow), figured I'd snap a pic.

These measurements are approximate, and there may be a little error b/c it's sitting on carpet. I tweak this every so often to how I feel comfortable in it, not to numerical measurements... but these numbers are relatively close to my present setup.

I'm currently running an 18" deep seat pan (front edge of seat to back of side guard), but w/ an ADI back that eats some depth. I have a 17w x 16d Stimulite Classic XS on this, so there's some extra wiggle room behind it (it's held in place w/ HD velcro). The rear STF appears pretty low in regards to suspension travel, but in reality (1) the camera angle is higher than the seat, so it looks like less than it is, and (2) I don't drop off anything big enough to bottom out during normal use, so it works well & still provides a plush ride. If I bounce hard it the seat will hit the frame, but right now I'm liking the low rear STF more. I can always adjust it if need be.

The deeper seat pan is actually something really low like 13.75" all the way in the rear, but where the back of my cushion sits is higher.

The backrest angle is tilted forward slightly here; in use it's 1-2 degrees further back.

If I could change anything at the moment I'd add a set of Tundra wheels (24" w/ MTB tires), get a slightly longer backrest post & lift the back up ~1", and swap some better brakes in place of the scissors.

Wheels/tires are 25" Rogue Tempest w/ Schwalbe Marathon Plus tires, Frog Legs forks up front w/ 4x1.5" soft rolls.

Heading out, will address questions tomorrow.

peace,
    scott

Why so much dump?
    I'm Sam.

Comment

Scott:
      I would rather see a video of you out in the snow with the chair. That will impress me. lol
      You will find a guide to preserving shoulder function @
      http://www.rstce.pitt.edu/RSTCE_Reso...imb_Injury.pdf

See my personal webpage @
      http://cccforum55.freehostia.com/

Comment

Originally posted by Scott Pruett View Post
        I'm out of my M1 today (snow), figured I'd snap a pic.

These measurements are approximate, and there may be a little error b/c it's sitting on carpet. I tweak this every so often to how I feel comfortable in it, not to numerical measurements... but these numbers are relatively close to my present setup.

I'm currently running an 18" deep seat pan (front edge of seat to back of side guard), but w/ an ADI back that eats some depth. I have a 17w x 16d Stimulite Classic XS on this, so there's some extra wiggle room behind it (it's held in place w/ HD velcro). The rear STF appears pretty low in regards to suspension travel, but in reality (1) the camera angle is higher than the seat, so it looks like less than it is, and (2) I don't drop off anything big enough to bottom out during normal use, so it works well & still provides a plush ride. If I bounce hard it the seat will hit the frame, but right now I'm liking the low rear STF more. I can always adjust it if need be.

The deeper seat pan is actually something really low like 13.75" all the way in the rear, but where the back of my cushion sits is higher.

The backrest angle is tilted forward slightly here; in use it's 1-2 degrees further back.

If I could change anything at the moment I'd add a set of Tundra wheels (24" w/ MTB tires), get a slightly longer backrest post & lift the back up ~1", and swap some better brakes in place of the scissors.

Wheels/tires are 25" Rogue Tempest w/ Schwalbe Marathon Plus tires, Frog Legs forks up front w/ 4x1.5" soft rolls.

Heading out, will address questions tomorrow.

peace,
        scott
        Thats a great looking chair, Scott. How hard is it to transfer out of it though with that much dump?

Dave
        Dave

Comment

Scott, Surelock is pretty much ready to go with hub locks for the Marvel and Ti flange wheels -- at most a tweak or two away.
          stephen@bike-on.com

Comment

Having a lot of dump makes it much more stable for a quad. I have as much dump as Scott and it's very easy to get out of the chair even without triceps.
            Pharmacist, C4-5 injury but functional C6 (no triceps/flexors)

Comment

Remove the dimensions from the pic, and you have the perfect MarvelPro Christmas card to send to your customers.

Comment

I'm an old quad (in every sense of the word) but I am curious about the seat angle and if that angle over time would cause additional back and hip problems?

Comment

I have been going back and forth between a Tilite and a Marvel on what to order soon. After watching the videos and learning about all the adjustments its almost made my mind up. It seems Surelocks are on the way so that is a concern gone and pushblacks are available for the Rogue wheel. I thought this chair was more for a para. The only concern is my legs flopping way out. Any insight to that?

Pete
                  C6
                  Life's perceived journey in this PMR is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting "holy **** what a VR ride!"
                  Pete C6/'97

Comment

Yes, unfortunately your legs will probably "frog out". Jeff, what about those flip-up CF flaps to keep the legs in for those with that problem?
                    Pharmacist, C4-5 injury but functional C6 (no triceps/flexors)

Comment

I would imagine that if you angled the side guards so they are narrower in the front than the back that it would help with the leg frogging. It would act as a tapered seat or lateral troughs on a seat cushion. Someone correct me if I'm wrong.
                      ~Mandy~
                      SCI as a result of spinal surgery
                      TiLite Aero Z!!!

Comment

Thanks for this Scott. Gives me lots of things to try!
                        www.worldonwheels.ca

Comment

Hi Scott.

I`m loocking at your pic and i see that you`ve got a lot of dump, i suposse that is better for quad people, but using antitips.
                          Only one question, looking at the pic as more dump you`ve got less traveled has the shock absorber.
                          So, is there the posibility that jumping a high step with your dump the sit would hit the frame because the shock don`t have enough distance for absorb it?

If some of you have problems with your feet moving on your footplate, and they go out everytime you jump a step and you have to be always putting them right, try putting two strips of velcro on the footplate and another strip in the sole of your shoes.

Comment

Originally posted by sam10685 View Post
                            Why so much dump?
                            stability, plus I have a tall torso & would tower over everyone in restaurants/etc if I sat much higher.

Originally posted by SCIfor55yrs. View Post
                            Scott:
                            I would rather see a video of you out in the snow with the chair. That will impress me. lol
                            It's just slow, inch-by-inch, not exciting. I'm not making a video for you old man.

Originally posted by Herco16 View Post
                            Thats a great looking chair, Scott. How hard is it to transfer out of it though with that much dump?
                            It's not difficult. I twist myself out of the front edge/corners of the seat b/c I can't clear the tires sideways. I push off the opposite tire & it's actually pretty effortless to lift my butt out and scoot forward.

Originally posted by stephen212 View Post
                            Scott, Surelock is pretty much ready to go with hub locks for the Marvel and Ti flange wheels -- at most a tweak or two away.
                            Nice! Any reason you personally would opt for Surelock over D's? I know you've used them w/ your ZR.

Originally posted by JGNI View Post
                            Having a lot of dump makes it much more stable for a quad. I have as much dump as Scott and it's very easy to get out of the chair even without triceps.
                            Yup.

Originally posted by SCI_OTR View Post
                            Remove the dimensions from the pic, and you have the perfect MarvelPro Christmas card to send to your customers
                            ha, good call... I'm a little late on that idea this year. D'oh.

Originally posted by Eileen View Post
                            I'm an old quad (in every sense of the word) but I am curious about the seat angle and if that angle over time would cause additional back and hip problems?
                            That probably depends on more variables than just the seat angle. You can always raise the rear up on the Marvel M1 to whatever height is desired though. It's as easy as loosening 4 bolts w/ a 4mm (or 5mm, don't recall) allen key & repositioning the bracket that the shock mounts to.

Originally posted by BRASWELLF5 View Post
                            I have been going back and forth between a Tilite and a Marvel on what to order soon. After watching the videos and learning about all the adjustments its almost made my mind up. It seems Surelocks are on the way so that is a concern gone and pushblacks are available for the Rogue wheel. I thought this chair was more for a para. The only concern is my legs flopping way out. Any insight to that?
                            Para legs and quad legs aren't that different. Neither move. People over-think the legs-flopping-out issue, IMO. It's correct that the lack of downtubes doesn't contain one's legs as well, but if you have proper support under your thighs and the distance between the seat and footrest isn't too short, it's really not a problem in real-world use. I notice it most if I'm carrying something on my lap that has a tendency to slip between my legs and thus push them apart. Otherwise, no big deal... at least from my experience.

Originally posted by JGNI View Post
                            Yes, unfortunately your legs will probably "frog out". Jeff, what about those flip-up CF flaps to keep the legs in for those with that problem?
                            Not necessarily. Jeff is on vacation through the 28th, not sure that he'll be checking in anytime soon.

Originally posted by CurvySAT05 View Post
                            I would imagine that if you angled the side guards so they are narrower in the front than the back that it would help with the leg frogging. It would act as a tapered seat or lateral troughs on a seat cushion. Someone correct me if I'm wrong.
                            Seems logical, although the sideguards don't extend far enough forward to make that much difference if used this way, IMO... then again if I had shorter legs it may be another story. Good thought!

Originally posted by christopher View Post
                            Thanks for this Scott. Gives me lots of things to try!
                            Like what? My setup is pretty simple. I'm happy to help get yours dialed in though...

Originally posted by totoL1 View Post
                            I`m loocking at your pic and i see that you`ve got a lot of dump, i suposse that is better for quad people, but using antitips.
                            Only one question, looking at the pic as more dump you`ve got less traveled has the shock absorber.
                            So, is there the posibility that jumping a high step with your dump the sit would hit the frame because the shock don`t have enough distance for absorb it?
                            I don't use anti-tippers. As for the shock travel, it's true that if I hopped off a step there isn't enough room for full travel. I don't have great core stability as a quad & thus don't hop steps anyway, so it works out. There's plenty of available travel to soak up any bumps one would encounter w/o jumping curbs/steps/etc.

Comment

Originally posted by Scott Pruett View Post
                              Nice! Any reason you personally would opt for Surelock over D's? I know you've used them w/ your ZR.
                              Having not seen the final versions (and pricing) of both it would be premature to cast a vote. Surelock has at least one advantage: their new clips now have 27 position stops (up from 20) vs. D's which has 24. Until such time as a smaller pin is used, that's about the maximum number of stops. The more the better.

The other advantage of Surelock is that they offer customized work vs. D's one-size-fits-all approach, which, depending on the chair, might be the perfect choice. It will be interesting to see what both companies come up working with the idiosyncratic design of the Marvel.
                              stephen@bike-on.com

Comment

Working...
                              X