Pushing Manual Wheelchair in the Snow/Rain

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Pushing Manual Wheelchair in the Snow/Rain

I need help. I’m a C6 quad and have a tough time pushing my manual wheelchair with my palm in the rain/snow because my vinyl push rims become very slippery. What are my options? Appreciate any tips.

Originally posted by Eric J. Guidish View Post
    I need help. I’m a C6 quad and have a tough time pushing my manual wheelchair with my palm in the rain/snow because my vinyl push rims become very slippery. What are my options? Appreciate any tips.
    Do you have coated rims?

I know gloves are a pain for us quads, but wheelchair gloves do help.
    You will find a guide to preserving shoulder function @
    http://www.rstce.pitt.edu/RSTCE_Reso...imb_Injury.pdf

See my personal webpage @
    http://cccforum55.freehostia.com/

Comment

Plastic/rubbery coated?

they sell half gloves at sport aid that may give you some extra surface tension. I used my thumbs and stuck them in between the tire and push rim when pouring.

If your weather is extremely bad you may want to consider a powerchair for these instances.
      Get involved in politics as if your life depended on it, because it does. -- Justin Dart

I shall not tolerate ignorance or hate speech on this site.

Comment

I am not a quad but I know the quad here use the same. Sorry, I don't know the name and mine are in leader with wool inside or plastic in the palm so they don't get wet

http://folk.ntnu.no/linesjod/bilder/votter.jpg
        TH 12, 43 years post

Comment

Thanks. I do use gloves. And, I’ll try using my thumbs between the tires and rims. But, what about special rims and tires? Projection rims? Push Black rims? Knobbies? What’s the best?

Comment

Where do I get those gloves?

Comment

pushblacks. i dont agree w/ projections at all. old tech thats rarely used anymore. i use my thumb too, when going up ramps and wet. and pushblacks of course.
              i dont feel a pc is an option either for someone whos able to push, unless like going into fields or woods or something, like nov mentioned in her thread.

bottom line, rain/snow sucks ass in a chair, just gotta deal
              Bike-on.com rep
              John@bike-on.com
              c4/5 inc funtioning c6. 28 yrs post.
              sponsored handcycle racer

Comment

I don't know if it's the best but I have projection rims. I have a weak grip and they help me.

Comment

Originally posted by fuentejps View Post
                  pushblacks. i dont agree w/ projections at all. old tech thats rarely used anymore. i use my thumb too, when going up ramps and wet. and pushblacks of course.
                  i dont feel a pc is an option either for someone whos able to push, unless like going into fields or woods or something, like nov mentioned in her thread.

bottom line, rain/snow sucks ass in a chair, just gotta deal

fuentejps, what kind of Push Black do you use? Twisted?

Comment

no i use standard knurled.

dont get me wrong guys, if your a weak quad and you need them then by all means do it, i would much rather see someone use those than be in a pc death trap.
                    Bike-on.com rep
                    John@bike-on.com
                    c4/5 inc funtioning c6. 28 yrs post.
                    sponsored handcycle racer

Comment

Push on the tires.

Comment

i push on tires to the rims get way to slick

Comment

Originally posted by woman from Europe View Post
                          I am not a quad but I know the quad here use the same. Sorry, I don't know the name and mine are in leader with wool inside or plastic in the palm so they don't get wet

http://folk.ntnu.no/linesjod/bilder/votter.jpg

Can I get this anywhere? Only in Europe? I’ll check the sporting goods store.

Comment

Originally posted by LooseCannon View Post
                            Push on the tires.
                            Thanks LooseCannon & vjls

Comment

Can I get this anywhere? Only in Europe? I’ll check the sporting goods store.
                              The brand is Haglöfs and they are called GRAM SHELL MITTENS. They are an outer-layer ski glove so are very very thin...it is just a "shell" and you have to use something warm also.

http://www.haglofs.se/prd/visaprod.a...&ak=&nid2=1375

I don't think you'll find them in the USA but you should find something close.
                              Dots, lines and aeroplanes. my flying adventures.

Comment

Working...
                              X