ROHO Hybrid Elite Cushion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Interesting.
    Pharmacist, C4-5 injury but functional C6 (no triceps/flexors)

Comment

hey guys, thanks for all the excellent information.

I'm in the process of trying to figure a new cushion.
      My current ride is an 18*18 J2plus Gel which I have used for over two years. For the most part it has worked out well except for the part where you have to re-pump the gel that gets displaced. If only I could do a pressure release and the gel would self level instead of having to transfer out of my chair to re-arrange the gel. Plus it's really heavy.

So I'm trialing a Roho Hybrid, and J3 gel. I have to say no great Eureka moment when trialing these. After reading what you guys said earlier I thought I'd experiment.

After taking them all apart, you can see that the Roho Hybrid and J3 cushion foam pads are exactly the same except for how they are sculptured. I really didn't like the leg cut outs of the Roho Hybrid, makes transferring a royal pain in the ass .

(This is the Roho hybrid on top of the J3 foam)

I was hoping to take the Roho Hybrid insert and stick it in the J3, but of course the cutouts are of totally different sizes.

(Roho hybrid showing cut out)

(J3 cushion showing cutout)

A stroke of genius..... My old J2 foam base has the perfect cut out and no sculpting for the thighs.

(J2 cushion)

(J2 cushion)

(J2 cushion + Roho Hybrid insert)

Fits really nicely, no groove for the fill tube, but this was just an experiment. I have to say I much prefer the J3 cushion cover over the Roho Hybrid cover. It has some reasonably thick foam covering the whole cushion except for an area cut out right under your butt.

(J2 cushion + Roho Hybrid insert + J3 cover - Showing cutout in J3 cushion cover foam)

I also really liked how the J3 cushion cover deals with the fill tube when compared to the Roho Hybrid.

(J2 cushion + Roho Hybrid insert + J3 cover - Showing Roho inflator)

(Roho Hybrid cushion, insert and cover - Showing Roho inflator)

(J2 cushion + Roho Hybrid insert + J3 cover - Showing Roho inflator)

So it works really well, I get the nice flat front which is easy to transfer with of the J2 foam base. The Roho Hybrid insert, nice and light and seems to cushion my butt really nicely, and the luxury of the J3 cushion cover. I do miss the carry handle of my J2 cover though, it was perfect for carrying a pint glass or coffee cup.

The angled handle of the Roho hybrid cover, doesn't work nearly as well.

I really like the way the foam cushions have cut outs that fit the upright poles that hold that back in place. Really locks the foam cushion in place and stops it moving around when combined with the velcro on the underside of the cushion.

Just my insight after messing around. Amusing if nothing else, I'm no close to figuring a cushion dammit.

Does anyone know of an anatomical map of the butt, all those important parts that hit the cushion and where they are etc. For those of us that never took anatomy. Useful for when talking to cushion fitters, PTs etc.
      Last edited by NW-Will; 11 Dec 2010, 3:33 AM.

Comment

Contact Jennifer Hastings for seating questions. She's in Seattle. Has a PHD in seating evaluation etc. Jennifer Hastings PT, PhD, NCS @Maximum Mobility

She worked for the VA for many years, as well as teaches seating evals at Puget Sound and U of W. I believe. She was right on with my queustions and eval.

Comment

Patrick Madsen Ty for the link I would liike to spk to her

NW-Will Kool stuff you are really creative
          I need a different cushion and have been looking for ideas etc ...

Thanks Everyone

Comment

Originally posted by Patrick Madsen View Post
            Contact Jennifer Hastings for seating questions. She's in Seattle. Has a PHD in seating evaluation etc. Jennifer Hastings PT, PhD, NCS @Maximum Mobility

She worked for the VA for many years, as well as teaches seating evals at Puget Sound and U of W. I believe. She was right on with my queustions and eval.
            Putting

Jennifer Hastings Maximum Mobility Seattle WA

into Google didn't get me any good hits do you have any other contact details? Thanks.

Comment

Back to my quest, still trialing cushions.
              Started out on the Jay2 gel, tried the Jay3 gel, Roho hybrid elite and now the Roho QUADTRO SELECT, Quantum Spectrum Air and Varilite Proform NX.

Tried each of these for at least a week... just my 2 cents.

The Roho QUADTRO SELECT, found this to be fine once I was sitting on it, but getting on an off it was a pain, especially getting on it. It would roll up under my butt when doing regular transfers and with a slide board it reminded me of a water bed. Not sure how useful the ISOFLO® Memory Controller really was, seems like it would be a great idea if it could isolate each of the air pockets. Once it was set up though it worked fine, filling and deflating the Roho is really easy, especially when compared to the Quantum Spectrum Air. It is also really light in weight. Once on it I could happily sit in my chair for 8 hours at a stretch.

Quantum Spectrum Air

Again found this fine to sit on. This cushion is really heavy, if weight isn't an issue it might be worth trying. I haven't weighed it to compare but I would say it's heavier than my Jay 2 gel. The device to fill and adjust air is really awkward. At first I thought it was really cute, but after a week it really annoyed me, especially when compared to the Roho fill and adjust mechanism. No adjusting on the fly, or just blowing up with your mouth.
              This cushion also has a solid board under it inside the cover, so no issues with it folding up under you. The foam and cover are decent enough. The foam under the thighs is supportive enough to make transfers really easy with or without the slide board. I didn't find this cushion as comfortable as the Roho, but definitely an improvement to my Jay2. The weight being my biggest issue with it.

Varilite Proform NX

Really nicely manufactured cushion, nice and light. Easy to transfer on and off of. The air cushion inflates on it's own and can only be deflated when you apply weight to it. It uses similar technology to those camping pads the way it inflates. You can control how inflated each side is, so works well for oblique hips. It seems like this cushion would be great, but I'am just not getting along with it. I'm lucky if I can go 4 hours before I either have to get on the bed or swap out cushions. I'm still working with it, but it doesn't look like I can go with this cushion.

Back to the ROHO Hybrid Elite Cushion... I'm thinking this is the best option so far. If I can get the foam part of the cushion cut flat without the cut outs for the thighs just like the Jay 2 foam it will totally work for me. It would be really nice if ROHO could make a modification to their hybrid Elite incorporating their ISOFLO® Memory Controller with the air cushion. Allowing you to fill the air-cushion to just the right pressure and then just using the ISOFLO® Memory Controller to adjust how your hips are aligned instead of having to use separate fillers to adjust each side of the aircushion. The ISOFLO® Memory Controller would definitely make it a cinch to adjust, so yeah ROHO how about putting the ISOFLO® Memory Controller on the ROHO hybrid Elite.

Cushions - What are you sitting on? what do you like/dislike ?

Comment

The Jay3 has an option for a dual chambered Roho insert to replace the gel packs. It sounds like what you are after, a Jay style base with multiple chamber air bladder for hip alignment and comfort. It is lighter than Roho but heavier than Varilite.
                "I have great faith in fools; self-confidence my friends call it." - Edgar Allen Poe

"If you only know your side of an issue, you know nothing." -John Stuart Mill, On Liberty

Comment

Originally posted by DaleB View Post
                  The Jay3 has an option for a dual chambered Roho insert to replace the gel packs. It sounds like what you are after, a Jay style base with multiple chamber air bladder for hip alignment and comfort. It is lighter than Roho but heavier than Varilite.
                  the J3 version uses 2 inch cells, still has separate valves for dual chamber inserts and the transition from neoprene to faom is less gradual.

I've shaved the center hump off of a Hybrid Elite using a scalpel. Not difficullt to do at all.

Comment

NW-Will,

Regarding "... definitely an improvement to my Jay2. The weight being my biggest issue with it." - where cushion weight is paramount, gel/fluid cushions are inherently inferior.

Comment

Originally posted by SCI_OTR View Post
                      the J3 version uses 2 inch cells, still has separate valves for dual chamber inserts and the transition from neoprene to faom is less gradual.

I've shaved the center hump off of a Hybrid Elite using a scalpel. Not difficullt to do at all.
                      It's shape was much better for me, I need lots of contour around trochs and ischials, to fill in for missing muscle mass, and none for positioning my legs. I cut the medial thigh separator off the J3, too, dished it out a bit and put a Jay field filled gel pack in the 'dish'. That eliminated cathing difficulty because of that hard foam hump. So far, so good! The Hybrid didn't filled in around my butt enough to off load the ischials.
                      "I have great faith in fools; self-confidence my friends call it." - Edgar Allen Poe

"If you only know your side of an issue, you know nothing." -John Stuart Mill, On Liberty

Comment

NW-Will:

Thanks so much for your updates on cushion trials. In your post at the top of this page you tried putting the ROHO hybrid insert onto the J2 base. How did that work compared to just using the ROHO hybrid elite?
                        "What is the first business of one who studies... To part with self conceit. For it is impossible for anyone to begin to learn what he thinks he already knows." -Epictetus (55-135) Greek Philosopher

Comment

It's shape was much better for me, I need lots of contour around trochs and ischials, to fill in for missing muscle mass, and none for positioning my legs. I cut the medial thigh separator off the J3, too, dished it out a bit and put a Jay field filled gel pack in the 'dish'. That eliminated cathing difficulty because of that hard foam hump. So far, so good! The Hybrid didn't filled in around my butt enough to off load the ischials.

DaleB: Could you post some pictures of what you did please? I'd like to see it.
                          "What is the first business of one who studies... To part with self conceit. For it is impossible for anyone to begin to learn what he thinks he already knows." -Epictetus (55-135) Greek Philosopher

Comment

I thought so too, but the Jay J3 cushion foam cut out and air cushion are quite a bit smaller than the Roho Elite. I find I catch the sides of the J3 foam base. I like the fact the ROHO elite is so much wider.

The Foam base of the ROHO Elite and J3 are both made by Jay and are identical it's just the sculpting that is different.

Comment

Originally posted by WC_Sage View Post
                              NW-Will,

Regarding "... definitely an improvement to my Jay2. The weight being my biggest issue with it." - where cushion weight is paramount, gel/fluid cushions are inherently inferior.

For sure... but the Quantum Spectrum Air is an air balloon type cushion, similar to the ROHO Elite, but it's damn heavy.

Comment

Originally posted by Covathalis View Post
                                DaleB: Could you post some pictures of what you did please? I'd like to see it.

Same here, interested to see a picture of your creation.

Comment

Working...
                                X