Solid Seat Pan questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Solid Seat Pan questions

I have a TiLite TR chair with strap adjustable seat upholstry. If I wanted to switch to a solid seat pan, does anyone know how the seat pan would connect to the chair? Are there screw holes in the frame under this upholstry?

Are there aftermarket companies making seat pans to consider?
    C5-6 Complete - 8/13/1982

If you want a seat pan go for one of this http://dragonplate.com/ecart/categories.asp?cID=3

But if you have got strap adjustable seat upholstry you can`t connect it to the chair, there is no problem with a bolt on seats upholstry because you only have to take it out and use the same screws and drill the seat pan, that screws are connect to the frame with rivet nuts that are in the frame.
    So if you want a solid pan you`ve got this options:
    - velcro, i`m not sure if that will work.
    - drill thought the frame two or three holes each side the frame and use long screws and nuts.
    - and the best option is put 2-3 rivet nuts each side.

You would need to go to a profesional, because you would need cobalt drills for make holes in titanium and a special tool for put the rivet nuts.

But i think that Tilite will do it to you if you send them the frame for put a few rivet nuts.

Comment

Originally posted by totoL1 View Post
      If you want a seat pan go for one of this http://dragonplate.com/ecart/categories.asp?cID=3

But if you have got strap adjustable seat upholstry you can`t connect it to the chair, there is no problem with a bolt on seats upholstry because you only have to take it out and use the same screws and drill the seat pan, that screws are connect to the frame with rivet nuts that are in the frame.
      So if you want a solid pan you`ve got this options:
      - velcro, i`m not sure if that will work.
      - drill thought the frame two or three holes each side the frame and use long screws and nuts.
      - and the best option is put 2-3 rivet nuts each side.

You would need to go to a profesional, because you would need cobalt drills for make holes in titanium and a special tool for put the rivet nuts.

But i think that Tilite will do it to you if you send them the frame for put a few rivet nuts.
      Toto pretty much describes your options. My ZR was ordered with a solid seat, 3 holes per side.

PM me your email address and I'll send you the CAD drawing that Ti used, which I forwarded to DragonPlate to make my CF replacement.
      stephen@bike-on.com

Comment

Don't get the aluminum one that TiLite sells because it's heavy. Get a carbon fiber one like totoL1 recommended.
        6/18/00: T-5 complete

Comment

adi makes one too
          Bike-on.com rep
          John@bike-on.com
          c4/5 inc funtioning c6. 28 yrs post.
          sponsored handcycle racer

Comment

I used the strap upholstery to hold a solid seatpan on a chair once. I laid the seatpan on the tubing, then put the straps over it. I wanted to test the solid pan before I drilled the frame.

Comment

Just something to consider, drilling your own holes will probably void the warenty...

Comment

Don't drill your frame! You could compromise the structural integrity. ADI's CF seat pan attaches without drilling any holes in the frame.

Comment

aint that kewl. whats the web site ADI............this site rocks, ive learned more in the last 4 weeks than i have in the last 13 years

Comment

pimp ride steve. are those adi side guards too
                    Bike-on.com rep
                    John@bike-on.com
                    c4/5 inc funtioning c6. 28 yrs post.
                    sponsored handcycle racer

Comment

Originally posted by SCI_OTR View Post
                      Don't drill your frame! You could compromise the structural integrity. ADI's CF seat pan attaches without drilling any holes in the frame.
                      TiLite drilled 6 holes in my ZR to mount my seat pan. There was no concern about structural compromise nor have I seen evidence of any.
                      Last edited by stephen212; 7 Nov 2009, 7:47 PM.
                      stephen@bike-on.com

Comment

Well if Ti-Lite drills it & something goes wrong the onus is on them to deal with with it, if a individual does it on their own they are up the creek.

Comment

That ADI is heavier with that sistem, so i think the best option is open three holes each side, but of course that will have do it to you a profesional.

I can assure you if a profesional drill three holes each side, there is no problem.
                          Do you think that if drilling holes will compromise the frame Tilite will do the holes of the pic?
                          It`s only a frame of a wheelchair not a frame of a racer motorbike.
                          This is what Tilite do http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SN7w_d3j4R0

Comment

We are talking about drilling holes in 1" diameter tubing which must be precisely aligned and perpendicular (let alone match up with the holes in the CF).

totoL1, if you don't think drilling completely though both sides wouldn't compromise the integrity think again. How much would you tighten the nuts? How could you get them snug without ovalizing the holes or the tubing? Even TiLite has an insert inside the tubing in such applications.

Where did many of the frame failures occur in this study?

http://www.rehab.research.va.gov/jou.../9/pdf/liu.pdf

Comment

Originally posted by SCI_OTR View Post
                              We are talking about drilling holes in 1" diameter tubing which must be precisely aligned and perpendicular (let alone match up with the holes in the CF).

totoL1, if you don't think drilling completely though both sides wouldn't compromise the integrity think again. How much would you tighten the nuts? How could you get them snug without ovalizing the holes or the tubing? Even TiLite has an insert inside the tubing in such applications.

Where did many of the frame failures occur in this study?

http://www.rehab.research.va.gov/jou.../9/pdf/liu.pdf
                              Of course the holes have to be precisely aligned and perpendicular, that is why i said to let a professional to do it.

Drilling completely though both sides it was an option, you only have to tight the nuts a bit, it`s only for the seat pan don`t move, but that is not the best option of course.
                              Remember that i told that the best option is open holes and put rivet nuts, so you don`t have to drill through the frame.
                              And i would bet with you that if we take a TR with a tension adjustable by straps and another TR with an aluminium seat pan,and we change that seat pan for a 3/16" CF dragonplate, and we go with that two chair to Tilite factory for do a fatigue test, the drill frame with the CF seat pan will get better results.
                              The CF seat pan will give to the frame more rigid and it will be stronger with the CF seat pan on and tight, of course.

But IMO we don`t need all that holes that tilite do in the frame for a good CF seat pan, Tilite have to make 6 holes for the aluminium seat pan for give to the seat the necessary rigid, because the aluminium plate is not rigid enough.
                              Just try this, take out the bots of an aluminium seat pan, and with the seat without bolts sit on it, the seat will fold, the necessay rigid is give it because is fixed to the frame like the STD seat bolt on.
                              But now if you do the same with a 3/36" dragon plate, there is no problem, we only really need the bolts for the seat stay in way.

So for a CF seat pan with 3 holes each side it`s enough, and if i will have to do it, i will do it with thiner bolts as tilite use.
                              I will use 4mm titanium bolts for put 4mm rivet nuts, because for put 4mm rivet nuts you need to open holes with 6mm of diameter.
                              For rivet nuts for 5mm bolts you will need to open holes with 7mm diameter( this is what tilite use i think) but if we use titanium bolts we can use thiner ones.
                              For rivet nuts for 6mm bolts you will need to open holes with 9mm.

So the best option is open the little holes as posible for the rivet nuts 4mm and use titanium bolts.

And look at this frame full of drill holes through in an aluminium frame of a GTX and i don`t have any problems in 3 years, so don`t afraid if you have to open a few holes in a titanium frame.

And remember that the holes that we are speaking about are not simple holes like in my frame, that holes are reinforce with steal rivet nuts.

So i think that the best option for future Tilite customer if they are thinking in having a seat pan is order their chairs with the STD seat( tension adjustable bolt on seat sling) and after buy a dragon plate and use the same bolts for put the seat pan, you only need to open the holes in the CF dragon plate.
                              Last edited by totoL1; 8 Nov 2009, 1:12 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X